I need some help with my new Glock

PDA

tacweapon
November 27, 2008, 11:36 PM
I just bought a Glock 26 and I have a few questions. I will admit I am not much of a Glock guy ( more of a 1911 guy ) but I see the glock as a great CCW.

Questions

I am looking to upgrade a few aspects of it but I am not sure what would be the best way to upgrade this things.

I am wanting to make the slide release to make it easier to access.

I want to be able to release magazines easiers right now the magazine release is very stiff and the magazine does not to fall out

I want to make the trigger pull more constitant and just a few pounds lighter

If any one has any suggestons on how to do this I would appreciate it

If you enjoyed reading about "I need some help with my new Glock" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
sherman123
November 27, 2008, 11:53 PM
unfortunately I think I can only answer one question and that's the one regarding the magazine releasing. I'm thinking it's due to the magazine itself because they make ones with round feed lips that don't drop from the gun but if you buy the newer magazines which have the square feed lips it should solve your problem. From what I heard(could easily be wrong) the Austrian army had orginally wanted magazines that wouldnt fdrop from the gun Drop free magazines would be the solution for that.

Dot_mdb
November 28, 2008, 12:03 AM
Make sure that your hand or finger is not blocking the mag release on the opposite side of the frame. If the release can't move freely on the right side of the gun the mag will not drop.

Instead of putting on an extended slide release just practice not using it at all and using the slingshot method. Why spoil the nice flat side of the weapon?

The standard trigger is not heavy on the Glock. It is pretty perfect for a self-defense weapon. I say practice with it for a good while before looking to change it.

Glocks are pretty good the way they come from the factory. Most people don't do anything more than putting on some night sights.

Bill

Snarlingiron
November 28, 2008, 12:05 AM
I am looking to upgrade a few aspects of it but I am not sure what would be the best way to upgrade this things.

I am a "Glock Guy". I have a 19, a 26 and a 29. My opinion is pretty much anything you do to the Glock is a downgrade, not an upgrade.

Don't use it. Lock the slide open and operate it by racking the slide. Why would you want to waste that additional 1/4" or so of spring tension. That's what you do when you use the slide release. I really never use it.

I want to be able to release magazines easier right now the magazine release is very stiff and the magazine does not to fall out

First off, do you have "drop free" magazines. Early Glock magazines were not steel lined, and did not drop free unless they were empty. The Europeans seem to prefer this, since it makes it harder to lose magazines. On the other hand the Glock magazine release is a little hard to operate, but with practice it becomes second nature. I am not a big guy, but I manage it without thought now. There are some folks that make oversize releases.

Look at the $.25 trigger job. (http://www.alpharubicon.com/mrpoyz/glock/)

I strongly suggest that you do this or even better shoot about 5 or 6 thousand rounds through it and that will accomplish the same thing. I have about 12,000 rounds through my G19, and it is smooth as silk. My other two have had the $.25 trigger job.

I have taken 2 different pistol courses from different instructors, and both of them have said that the only time they see failures on Glocks is when they have been heavily modified.

The Glock is clearly not a 1911, and nothing you can do will make it so. If you can't make the switch maybe the Glock is not for you. While I think the Glock is the best of the best, there are lots of other good choices that may work better for you.

tacweapon
November 28, 2008, 12:37 AM
Instead of putting on an extended slide release just practice not using it at all and using the slingshot method. Why spoil the nice flat side of the weapon?

The reason I want to get the extended mag release is that I have trained to use the mag release when doing a magazine change and the extended mag release would make it easier for me to do so, I have tried getting used to the standard glock one about 800 + rounds and found that it is not out far enough to be easily used I tried my friends Glock with one and it was much better. I guess what I should have asked was who makes them and is it something I can install or do I have to get a gunsmith to install it ?

The standard trigger is not heavy on the Glock. It is pretty perfect for a self-defense weapon. I say practice with it for a good while before looking to change it.

I agree that the trigger is pretty good but it is not very constitant at least on mine, I would not want to go to much lighter on it because of it being a self-defense weapon. I have fired around 800 + rounds through it since I got it and I can drill the center of a target out until it gets to much farther then 7 yards and but my follow up shots are not anywhere near as close as they are with my 1911 and I think part of that is partialy because of the trigger and partialy because I have no trained with it as much

I want to be able to release magazines easier right now the magazine release is very stiff and the magazine does not to fall out

First off, do you have "drop free" magazines. Early Glock magazines were not steel lined, and did not drop free unless they were empty. The Europeans seem to prefer this, since it makes it harder to lose magazines. On the other hand the Glock magazine release is a little hard to operate, but with practice it becomes second nature. I am not a big guy, but I manage it without thought now. There are some folks that make oversize releases.

I do have the drop free mags, the mags I have do drop free but they kind of stick

I will have to read up on the .25 trigger job, thanks for the link

gb6491
November 28, 2008, 01:54 AM
The extended slide release is not difficult to install. Here's a good "how to" for dis-assembly of the frame: http://glockmeister.com/trigger.shtml
I tried one and went back to stock. I got it from here (http://www.ombexpress.com/product~sku~GA158.asp) (good folks to work with).

Sorry, I don't know what is up with your magazines (maybe an out of spec release?).

Triggers; here's a good article on options available: EVALUATION OF TRIGGER PULLS (http://glockmeister.com/triggers.shtml)

Regards,
Greg

Thunder496
November 28, 2008, 05:22 AM
Personally I like having the extended slide release on my G26. I have the Glock extended slide release that they put on their G 17L, 24, 34, & 35. I have never had it snag or anything like that. I don’t really know It is there till I go to hit it with my thumb, and then it is way better that the stock. It will really come in handy if you ever need to do a one handed reload.

distra
November 28, 2008, 07:16 AM
I'm a 1911 guy as well, but do own several Glocks (17,19,21,36). I replaced the connector with the 3.5# connector improves the trigger a bit. I really don't have a problem with the standard Glock trigger though. I tried the extended mag release, but in my holster the mag release would get activated if I leaned just right. The result was a full mag dropping out the bottom of the gun so I just went back to the standard release. The extended slide stop is nice. I've installed this on all mine. I use both the thumb and sling shot method to reload depending on the scenario. The extended slide stop is nice when you are doing one handed reloads. New generation mags are drop free, square notch in the rear. I also replaced the sights to three dot. I prefer these to the stock Glock sights, nothing wrong with the stock sights. All of the above can be installed yourself very easy to do.

Kevin108
November 28, 2008, 08:44 AM
For a light trigger with a consistent pull, go with a Glockmeister trigger spring and a 3.5 lb connector. Glockmeister is looking like a one-stop shop for you here!

$2.50 - Trigger kit #1 - http://glockmeister.com/product_info.php?products_id=235
$25 - 3.5 lb Connector - http://glockmeister.com/product_info.php?products_id=274

swwyo
November 28, 2008, 12:37 PM
When you talk about a concealed carry gun, my recommendation is you stay with the factory trigger, even though the 26 is no target gun it is still very accurate for it's size, if you want that buy the larger tactical models. As far as the slide stop goes the reason I learned originally Glock went small was they wanted you to pull the slide back to load a round, the reason being is this is a gross motor skill, while using the slide stop is a fine motor skill. In combat most people have no fine motor skills. I have owned both extended and normal mag release, the longer one bites my hand but that is just me. As far as conceal carry goes it tends to hang up on clothing when drawing the firearm.

Either way we are all not built the same and if this is what you want the link provided by Kevin108 will get you the 3.5 connector, extended mag release, and extended slide stop. If you buy those three parts to fit a model 17 they will all work in your 26.

Now one recommendation I can make is get a trigger for a model 17, it will fit your 26 and it get's rid of the target grooves that Glock has to put on for importation points. If you do not know what I am talking about compare your pistol to a model 17 or model 22, not a 19 or 23 since they also have target triggers, you will find it more comfortable.

Either way you made a good choice, enjoy.

Ken Rainey
November 28, 2008, 01:32 PM
Yep, I'm a big 1911 fan myself, but dang that little Glock is just so easy to conceal carry....:cool:

I recommend that you stay with Glock factory parts. Get one of their extended slide stop levers and an extended (actually just for a large frame Glock) magazine catch...now take the extended mag release and carefully sand the edges down and sort of round it off where it won't be as "in the way" but still have just a smidge more length to help for a positive mag release...works great for me and doesn't get pushed by my holster. Just a reminder on removal of the slide stop lever - it rides in a groove on the trigger housing pin and the lever has to be moved before pushing that pin out - just kinda wiggle it around as you apply pressure to the pin...

I recommend getting a NY1 trigger spring, a 3.5 connector and doing the .25 cent trigger job, it will give you a steady take up of the trigger til it breaks clean and have a more positive reset but still about the same overall pound pull as stock...good thing about Glock is that you can easily change it if it don't suit you, by just using the 3.5 connector with the factory trigger spring it will lighten the pull all the way thru, but to me, it feels kinda mushy...it won't ever have a 1911 trigger but you can come up with a very useable trigger...some even prefer it with just the .25 cent trigger polish...you could start with that and then try changing out the different parts to see which feel you like the best.

There is a guy in the "gun parts and accessories" forums of GlockTalk that sells factory Glock parts at a good price...5532jwk is his "name"...one of his for sale lists was posted on 9-20-08 to make it easier to find...he's a good guy to deal with.

If you were close by I'd be glad to do it for ya or show you how, I'm a Glock Armorer...

Luck to ya..:D

glockman19
November 28, 2008, 01:39 PM
will you be carrying this gun? If YES then i'd recommend NOT messing with it. I have a 19 & 26 and did install a #3.5 and that was all, the 26 I left alone...for one reason...if I ever needed to use it I wouldn't want the prosecution to be able to say to the jury, "and he had a trigger job done that lightenrd the pull of the trigger".

TENmm
November 28, 2008, 01:41 PM
Kenin 108...
I knew the owner pf Glockmeister. I knew Ben and have had long discussions with him and met his wife also.
BEFORE you or anyone goes running to this place (online or whatever) i want to say my piece:

Ben sold the business and i have met the new owner in a gunshow in Phoenix. THE NEW OWNER IS A REAL STUCK UP ******* and I cant see how his attitude towards (me the customer) can sustain income over cost of operation.

I HATE this new guy with a passioa, and i believe if you all met who i met, you would also.

Drail
November 28, 2008, 02:22 PM
My suggestion would be trade it for something because from what you stated you would like to change you bought the wrong pistol.

jlh26oo
November 28, 2008, 02:47 PM
I just bought a Glock 26 and I have a few questions. I will admit I am not much of a Glock guy ( more of a 1911 guy ) but I see the glock as a great CCW.

Questions

I want to be able to release magazines easiers right now the magazine release is very stiff and the magazine does not to fall out

If any one has any suggestons on how to do this I would appreciate it

I have a 34 with the extended controls and lighter trigger, and they are nice. But if/when I add a 26 to go with, it will remain 100% stock. J.M.O. and Y.M.M.V.

krs
November 28, 2008, 03:00 PM
I fiddle with most every gun I buy but I've gotta' go along with all of these guys on this.

I have a Glock 19 that I bought mail order and while I waited I ordered all the usual stuff "to make it better".

I have the 3.5# trigger mod, and never installed it.
I have the extended mag release, and never installed it.
I have the extended slide stop, and never installed it.

I DID put Heinie sights on the gun and do think they're an improvement. I DID sand down the trigger grooves and think it made little noticable difference.

This Glock, of all of the more than 100 handguns I own, is my go-to piece anytime there's an odd noise in the night and it's the pistol I carry more often than any of the rest.

See, I took some time shooting it, strange as it seemed, and realized that this is the best and most purpose-focused handgun I own or have ever owned.

After 4000+ rounds through my Glock 19 I can't think of any way to improve it, and I doubt if I could find those parts I mentioned in two days of looking around here.

tacweapon
November 28, 2008, 03:20 PM
See, I took some time shooting it, strange as it seemed, and realized that this is the best and most purpose-focused handgun I own or have ever owned.

After 4000+ rounds through my Glock 19 I can't think of any way to improve it, and I doubt if I could find those parts I mentioned in two days of looking around here.

Since I got it I have fired 800 + rounds and from the firing I have done I have come to figure out that these upgrades could help me out a lot. That said I can still drill the center of the target out, out to about 7 yards.

Deanimator
November 28, 2008, 03:43 PM
I recommend getting a NY1 trigger spring, a 3.5 connector and doing the .25 cent trigger job, it will give you a steady take up of the trigger til it breaks clean and have a more positive reset but still about the same overall pound pull as stock...good thing about Glock is that you can easily change it if it don't suit you, by just using the 3.5 connector with the factory trigger spring it will lighten the pull all the way thru, but to me, it feels kinda mushy...it won't ever have a 1911 trigger but you can come up with a very useable trigger...some even prefer it with just the .25 cent trigger polish...you could start with that and then try changing out the different parts to see which feel you like the best.
I have a police surplus Glock 19. When I got it, it had whatever combination of parts gives you a [rough and heavy] 8lb. or so pull. I put in the 3.5lb. Ghost Inc connector and did the $0.25 trigger job. It now has a smooth but safe trigger.

I'm not worried about what some prosecutor says if I INTENTIONALLY shoot somebody with a gun with a 3.5lb. connector. I know what to tell my lawyer. I'm worried what some prosecutor will say if, because I have a lousy trigger, I shoot the WRONG person instead of the one trying to kill me.

gb6491
November 28, 2008, 04:29 PM
Since I got it I have fired 800 + rounds and from the firing I have done I have come to figure out that these upgrades could help me out a lot...
+1 - I carry a 27 daily and believe Glocks are an excellent platform, but they are not perfect for everyone out of the box. Tweak it to how it best suits you and I think more power to you.
Regards,
Greg

CountGlockula
November 28, 2008, 07:21 PM
Tac...

Pick up:
Extended Slide Lock Lever
Extended Magazine Catch
3.5lb. Connector.

You're good to go.

DawgFvr
November 29, 2008, 03:32 PM
I thought, and still think, the stock trigger is just fine. I also thought, and still think, that the slide lock lever and extended magazine catch was also just fine.

I did, however, change my magazine grip to the small extension (I forgot the name) which makes it much easier to grasp, draw, and shoot comfortably.

It did not really need the stainless steel captured guide rod either...but I did get one...for some reason, I replace all my guide rods with steel.

I have many weapons...but the G26 is my daily carry now.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e61/DawgFvr/Glock/G26.jpg

Retro
November 29, 2008, 05:31 PM
G26 is the way to go... as accurate as G17 and G19 but so much more compact... and I ccw G26 interchangeably with a Russian makarov depending on the temperature. I carry my G26 with an external plastic trigger safety that can be pushed out with your finger... works great... takes a sec to disengage. G26 is built like a little rock... solid.

This is the only two modifications you need on a G26: 1. SAF-T-Blok

http://www.ajaxgrips.com/ajax/saftblok

2. Pearce grip: for a better grip. http://www.pearcegrip.com/glock_main.htm

Have fun!

If you enjoyed reading about "I need some help with my new Glock" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!