New guy going to the range.

PDA

david636
November 28, 2008, 02:31 PM
Iím a newbie to shooting and to THR (as you can see from my post count).

I have a question about going to a shooting range. The few times Iíve been shooting at a range, my friend has brought everything, guns, ammo, ear and eye protection etc.

I just purchased a new Ruger MKIII and am planning to go shooting next Friday. I know to take the obvious items, gun, ammo, and ear and eye protection. My question is what else should I bring to the outdoor range?

I expect the temperature to be in the 40's.

Thanks in advance.

If you enjoyed reading about "New guy going to the range." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
KBintheSLC
November 28, 2008, 02:58 PM
Welcome!!!

I would say that besides the basics you mentioned, you could bring some good gloves, some decent targets to shoot at that are visible from a distance (shoot-n-see or similar), and a tiny screwdriver to adjust the rear sight on your MKIII.
PS... thats a great gun choice as a first pistol. I'm sure you will love it. Have fun and play it safe.

I would recommend you check out the instructional video in the "gunguide" link below before you try to field strip the pistol.

Treo
November 28, 2008, 03:13 PM
Going to the range alone can be dangerous. We had one member here who was found dead at his favorite range, speculation was that he was killed for his guns. I highly recommend a BUG

Mad Magyar
November 28, 2008, 03:30 PM
Also, bring a digital camera. I take pics of all my shooting sessions, as horrible as they may be sometimes...:)
I'm assuming you might have a silohoutte target. If not, that something I'd consider also. It's better than plinking at cans, water jugs, etc. Or, pick up some "Shoot-n-See" small targets that will explode Yellow when you make a hit.
Good & safe shooting to you....

woad_yurt
November 28, 2008, 03:56 PM
I don't know what kind of hearing protection you have but, if it'll be chilly, the ones that look like head phones keep you warm as well as protected.

Oh yeah, bring a few different types of ammo. Some semi-autos can be a little finicky, especially .22s. You don't want to get all the way there and find out that your gun doesn't like the kind you have.

Mad Magyar
November 28, 2008, 04:06 PM
You don't want to get all the way there and find out that your gun doesn't like the kind you have.

That brought a smile to my face since that's what happened with my MK 11, and it went straight to the aisles of the next gun show: SOLD!
I'm sure the MK 111 is much better....:)

If you enjoyed reading about "New guy going to the range." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!