223 brass splitting EBR's

PDA

greyling22
November 28, 2008, 08:43 PM
my friend's AR is throwing 223 brass that is split from case mouth all through the neck. I assume his gun is chambered in 5.56. is this normal? should he stop shooting 223? will it damage his chamber? thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "223 brass splitting EBR's" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
WardenWolf
November 28, 2008, 09:14 PM
He should definitely stop until he finds out what the problem is. The escaping gasses can permanently damage his chamber, and in fact might have already.

Kurt_D
November 28, 2008, 09:19 PM
Yeah, I've had steel cased ammo split at the neck in my Bushy. I wrote it off as steel not being as springy as brass. Never had an issue with brass case, so I would try to find out what up before running any more rounds. It could just be a bad lot or just plain bad ammo. What kind was it?

If your barrel is chromed it's probably ok right now.

WardenWolf
November 28, 2008, 09:25 PM
If it's reloaded ammo, I'm guessing the brass is just shot. If it's new ammo, or a new upper with name-brand ammo, it sounds like his chamber's out of spec.

X-Rap
November 28, 2008, 09:40 PM
The brass has become work hardened in the neck area. There is an annealing process but if it were me I would junk the brass.
Is all the brass spliting?

greyling22
November 28, 2008, 09:57 PM
75% of the new brass was splitting. the steel case stuff (223) was fine. I forget the brass brand, but it was not high end.

WardenWolf
November 28, 2008, 10:00 PM
Bad batch. I'd complain to the manufacturer.

If you enjoyed reading about "223 brass splitting EBR's" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!