Is there any way to improve the Glock?

PDA

Airman193SOS
November 29, 2008, 04:22 AM
I admit that I used to be a Glock fanboy. The first handgun I ever fired was a Glock 22, and the first handgun I ever purchased was a Glock 27, which I still have.

I know that Glocks polarize opinion, mostly because of their appearance and their fans, who unfortunately assert with regularity that the Glock is the be all-end all of handguns. Let's put that aside for a moment so we can address this objectively.

How can the Glock be improved? For instance: compared to my Kimber Tactical Ultra II 1911 the trigger is a bit mushy, but it is certainly better than the double action pull on my Sig P239. Is there any way to get it closer to the Kimber?

That does not need to be the focus of the discussion, of course, I'm simply opening up the floor for debate. As it is I think the Glock is a perfectly serviceable handgun, maybe even the standard to which all others are judged (although 1911 fans will vehemently disagree). That said, what would you do differently if you had to design it all over again?

If you enjoyed reading about "Is there any way to improve the Glock?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
CPshooter
November 29, 2008, 05:24 AM
I would have gone with a dove-tail mounted front sight over the pinned style. I'd also have a metal recoil guide rod instead of plastic. The plastic does work just fine though...maybe it's worth the weight savings?

The most common thing you'll get is "the hump on the grip" or "bad grip angle" complaint. You'll also hear how much people hate the "knuckle grooves." I personally feel that the compact (19/23) and sub compact (26/27) glocks are very comfortable and I like the knuckle grooves myself. The larger full-size glocks don't feel right to me at all.

As far as grip angle goes, I agree it doesn't point as "naturally" as some other guns, but after spending some time with a glock you start to realize that the grip angle actually helps for rapid-fire control and overall shooting technique. That's been my experience anyways. When I'm done shooting my Glock 19, my USPc almost feels weird in my hands.

I can still see where some of you are coming from with the "hump" problem. Some people have strangely shaped hands or hands that are too small to comfortably shoot a glock. I don't have that problem so I really enjoy shooting any of the non .45/10mm Glocks.

IMO, Glock is still the end all-be all of PRACTICAL and FUNCTIONAL defense auto pistols. All that said, I hate where they are going with this upcoming 4th gen Glock...yuck! I'll stick with my 3rd gen 19.

denfoote
November 29, 2008, 05:45 AM
I'm tempted to say no.

However, there is one area that Glock needs to address and that is the stock sights!!
All of my Glocks have had the sights stripped off and replaced asap!!

I have short stubby fingers so I wish Glock had included the extended mag release and slide stop controls with the stock gun.

I think rails are silly, so I have no love of that on the new frames!!

An extended ten round magazine would have been a nice addition to the G36.

That's just about all I can think of right now. ;)

jerryrigger
November 29, 2008, 05:49 AM
glock is probably the standard for reliability. most people with 1911s (myself included, and you can probably lump me in with the crowd that thinks the best handgun ever is the 1911) try to get our (tightly fitted) 1911s to function as well as todays glocks. the difference, though, is that the 1911 that went to war 60 years ago is somewhat different, and somewhat more "glock-like" that the 1911s we shoot today. although I have never handled an old gov. model 1911, I have heard reports that some even rattled they were so loosely fitted, which translated into effective combat accuracy and a pistol that would feed and shoot anything with great reliability even in terrible conditions, much like glocks do today. When 1911s became more tightly fitted, and thus extremely accurate pistols, they lost some of that great reliability. that being said, my tightest 1911 has fed 100% since day one, and is my most trusted pistol, so there is certainly the ability for this pistol to be tight, accurate, and reliable. now, I also like glocks, and I think that their simplicity of operation is second to none. they can also be extremely accurate, and after my 1911s, the glocks in .45 are my favorite guns to shoot, and I find them to be very accurate and reliable as well. I know that at some point in the future a glock .45 will make its way into my collection. they are rugged, seem to be boringly dependable, and I would much rather beat up a glock that my 1911s...I like glocks much more than sigs or hks that I have shot...

as far as improvements...glock should offer interchangeable backstraps the way ccf raceframes do, because probably the biggest complaint I hear about glocks is that it doesn't fit everyone's hands, or feel comfortable in everyone's, which is very true. the second problem is the trigger, which can be changed with many aftermarket trigger groups/accessories. the third problem, for me and some other users, is the lack of an external safety. I would not have a problem carrying a glock the way it is, but I think that an external safety is an important part of a weapon. I'm not sure if this comes from learning at an early age that putting a weapon on safe is an important part of gun safety, and that I believe it does help to prevent accidental discharge, but whatever the reason, I think it is an important part of a pistol (especially a pistol, as I also think they have the potential to be the most dangerous type of firearm). I also read somewhere that manual safeties can help to prevent your gun from being used against you if it is taken from you, as your disarmer might not know how to operate the safety, at least immediately. It is also important in the case, however remote, that your gun is found by someone else, say a child, who thinks it is a toy, or even an adult who does not know how to operate it. If there is a safety, he or she might not be able to operate it, whereas if there is not, all bets are off, and that is a very very bad scenario. now, all guns should obviously be unloaded and secured so that this never happens, but sadly this scenario does happen, and a manual safety MIGHT help it from resulting in injury or death. just my .02, and sorry for being so longwinded...

legion3
November 29, 2008, 06:36 AM
NO :uhoh:

Night sights and maybe on the smaller models replace the serrated trigger with the smooth but IMPROVE ???????

The nerve! ;)

johnnylaw53
November 29, 2008, 07:13 AM
Yes trade it in for another weapon

Be Safe

preachnhunt
November 29, 2008, 07:19 AM
I would like removable grip panels so you could dress one up and personalize it a bit.

RX-178
November 29, 2008, 07:25 AM
A CCF race frame, is in my mind, a great improvement.

That being said however, I'm not SURE if it retains the same reliability of the stock handgun, as I replaced the stock frame just a few months after I got the pistol.

That's one thing that does bother me a little, if only for the sake of considering it an IMPROVEMENT, rather than a trade-off (after all, I don't consider my Glock 17L to be a 'fightin' pistol').

And with all the different aftermarket accessories and replacement parts, there DOES tend to be something of a trend of modified Glocks being less reliable than factory stock Glocks.

burningsquirrels
November 29, 2008, 08:09 AM
i would add interchangeable backstrap panels on some models to help those with smaller hands perhaps... not sure where else. other than that, it's a great gun.

you can't have smooth triggers on the small models. i think they call them a "target trigger" and they need that feature to gather enough points for the ATF's import system, which is one of the reasons we don't have a 380 glock offered in the united states.

Catalina
November 29, 2008, 08:19 AM
There has got to be something they can do with the brick block like grip.

Beef up their factory barrels http://thegunzone.com/glock/glock-kb-faq.html

Other than that, can't beat their reliable functioning.

jocko
November 29, 2008, 08:29 AM
the finest safety every made for a glock

siderlock.com

right where it should be and not plastic either

Balrog
November 29, 2008, 09:54 AM
I wish they put a frame mounted manual safety on it. Otherwise, I see no reason to change a thing.

Deanimator
November 29, 2008, 10:22 AM
I think rails are silly, so I have no love of that on the new frames!!
I don't believe in lights on guns either. That's why when I bought a Glock 19, I bought a police surplus 2nd Generation Glock 19 without a rail.

Ben86
November 29, 2008, 11:38 AM
Yeah, night sights and maybe a steel recoil rod. Also, grip extensions for the sub-compact models. That's about it. I wouldn't want the 3.5 pound connector for anything but competition. Something like that can not only cause accidents, but hang you in court.

Gun Slinger
November 29, 2008, 12:11 PM
I think that the Glock is just fine as it is with the possibility of two minor, yet easily and inexpensively corrected attributes.

First, I'm with those who call for better factory sights on the Glocks.

Of course, since they are so flimsy, they pose little difficulty in removal and the wide availability of aftermarket sights is almost a curse because there are so many good designs to choose from. The factory tritium night sights are marginally acceptable (those crap-tastic swaged in front sights are just begging to be knocked loose at the worst time), but given a choice I'd opt for Mepros or Trijicons over the factory night sights without a moment's hesitation.

Second, although the OEM guide rod is just fine as it is, I usually replace it with a more rigid, non-captive, stainless steel unit for the increased strength of the steel over the polymer rod. I keep the OEM captive unit as a "back-up", although in over twenty years of shooting Glocks I've never needed to use it in that capacity.

Other than that, I think that the Glock is a great pistol (I don't suffer from "The Grip Angle Is All Wrong For Me" Syndrome), and find that it does all that I could ever ask of a service weapon in that it is stone-cold reliable "out of the box" and combat accurate at the distances usually encountered when the situation ends up going sideways.

For the relatively low price ($550-$600) that you can get a brand new Glock for, I think that it comes pretty darned close to being "perfect" considering that it comes "ready to go" right out of the box.

JImbothefiveth
November 29, 2008, 12:32 PM
Better trigger, and maybe they could make one with a steel grip, to add weight. (Or does the polymer grip help with reliability?)

I'm assuming you mean what the manufacturer could do, not how you could tweak it.

Japle
November 29, 2008, 12:52 PM
TruGlo TFO sights.
Lone Wolf or other 3.5lb connector.
MOST IMPORTANT! - Lone Wolf trigger stop. If you don't do anything else, get one!

louie19
November 29, 2008, 12:58 PM
If you want to look at a bunch of different possible mods you could make to your Glock, you should watch "Making Glocks Rock" by AGI - http://www.americangunsmith.com/view.php?id=3

It is on sale right now at Midway and they have good reviews too about it - http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=186832&t=11082005

You should definitely install night sights that are made out of steel. You should also probably get a Glock disassembly tool and detail strip your frame and clean/lube the trigger points (aka the $0.25 trigger job). This should make your trigger feel nicer though it still won't be a 1911. You can also get a plug for the lanyard hole of your Glock to keep debris out.

You could add a frame-mounted safety like the 1911 from Cominolli http://www.cominolli.com/ But that requires cutting into the frame. If you do get it, make sure you get it on all your Glocks so they all function the same.

MachIVshooter
November 29, 2008, 07:27 PM
Is there any way to improve the Glock?

Already been done

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n117/Hunter2506/MP45.jpg

Prepster
November 29, 2008, 07:53 PM
^LOL. I agree the M&P is a better Glock. Same reliable functioning with better sights, steel, and ergonomics (although that's subjective).

jerryrigger
November 29, 2008, 08:50 PM
Another thing that I would like to se done to the glock, and I'm not sure how possible this is, but who knows...if it really is perfection, then maybe it is possible...is if Lone Wolf, or maybe glock itself, could come up with a 9mm conversion kit for 45 ACP glocks...I love 45 ACP, but since ammo cost is somewhat high in that caliber, I think that, if it is possible (I know frame dimensions etc. are not the same as 9mm/40/357 glocks, and thus mags aren't the same etc.) it would be an even bigger selling point for them. I'm just very comfortable with 45 for "real world" use, but at the range my wallet cringes at purchasing 45 ammo, and the 9mm kit could help that substantially. Here in Massachusetts, though, for defensive purposes, I prefer the 45, because we are only allowed 10 rounds max capacity, even in a 9mm glock that can hold 17ish rounds. if my choice is between 10 9mm or 10 45 ACP, I'll go with the 10 45 ACP.

BTW-Does anyone know another reason why a kit for 45 ACP isn't made? Would the conversion involve more than just a different mag setup (more spring changes, could the chamber not be changed with an aftermarket barrel to accommodate the smaller cartridge etc.)? Or is there just not the demand? Thanks in advance!

krs
November 29, 2008, 09:59 PM
I put Heinie sights on my G19 right away, and I have a lead bullet barrel for it. Other than that it's a great gun.
I did buy an M&P new for $399. the other day and it's at my FFL as of this morning. I'll be able to make a direct comparison but I doubt I'll give up the G19 no matter what the M&P is limke for me.

M203Sniper
November 29, 2008, 10:24 PM
1. Offer a model line without the rails. (19/23 -21SF/30SF - 34/35/36)

2. START with a 4 pound trigger, revolver like trigger.

3. Serrations on top of the slides.

4. Novak style Night Sights - standard.

That's about it. The M&P (best trigger) and XD (good grip really crappy grip safety) tried to be better Glocks and each have strong points - but they're still just copies of the original "wonder nines" concept - they really don't bring anything useful to the table.

Brian Williams
November 29, 2008, 10:33 PM
Get rid of the finger grooves and put in a gold bead front sight.

greyling22
November 30, 2008, 12:10 AM
less takeup on the trigger, and ditch the polygon rifling in favor of conventional so I can shoot lead. cheaper pricetag. R&D cost is long since paid for, and plastic is cheap.

Coronach
November 30, 2008, 01:05 AM
Most of these are personal/subjective. I will freely admit that the gun is pretty darned good, as-is:

1. Grip angle, or "the hump". Get rid of it. Interchangable backstraps/frontstraps would be good.

2. The sights. Steel or aluminum is better than plastic.

3. The trigger. I have a 3# trigger on mine now, but it still feels like I'm pulling the trigger on a supersoaker.

4. Square/blocky slide. Now I'm really picking at nits, but it's ugly and doesn't lend itself to CC as well as a more rounded silhouette.

As I said, subjective. It works as-issued.

Mike

CountGlockula
November 30, 2008, 01:43 AM
I wouldn't change a thing.

But if you want to improve a Glock do whatever you like: add external safety, customize grip, etc.

weisse52
November 30, 2008, 02:27 AM
Better sights. But most important to me, and maybe I would come back is offer someway to change the grip angle. After a bunch of years with the 1911 I cannot get comfortable with the angle on the Glock. Maybe I should try a S&W....

TheEngineer
November 30, 2008, 02:44 AM
1) either night sights or better target sights depending on intended use
2) barrel with fully-supported chamber for 40 S&W models (maybe not necessary, but good for peace of mind)

smullen
November 30, 2008, 03:06 AM
I guess ignorance is Bliss as I don't see the issue with Glocks...

I've shot several other brands mostly S&W M&P series, a few Sigs, a few old 1911s of some sort, a few Rugers and I really don't see anything on them that makes me look to improve my Glock...

Don't take that as me being a fan boy, I'm not saying Glock is any better than anything else, but when I take aim and pull the trigger, my Glocks have never failed to fire and 99% of the time I hit the target....

I clean them, lube them and practice with them pretty often and all seems OK...

Phydeaux642
November 30, 2008, 04:44 PM
Make it fit my hand like an XD does. I have tried to talk myself into picking up a G26 and then I hold it. It just doesn't fit.

Dobe
November 30, 2008, 05:46 PM
Better sights
Better ergonomics
Supported chamber

Or, just get an HK 45 / P30

steak-knife
November 30, 2008, 07:38 PM
How about making 11 round Glock 27 magazines that actually hold 11 rounds?:evil:

...and if that's not possible, perhaps just call them 10 round magazines.

RyanM
November 30, 2008, 07:41 PM
How can the Glock be improved? For instance: compared to my Kimber Tactical Ultra II 1911 the trigger is a bit mushy, but it is certainly better than the double action pull on my Sig P239. Is there any way to get it closer to the Kimber?

8 pound connector plus an increased power trigger-puller spring, and some kind of trigger stop to prevent overtravel (I filed down my trigger bar instead, since it was an old teflon-coated one instead of nickle plated). You end up with more takeup, but the break is 5-6 pounds and 1/16", and about as crisp as most single action pistols out of the box.

gglass
November 30, 2008, 08:34 PM
MachIVshooter has it right - See first page of the thread

Although the disciples of Glock will never admit it, there are issues with the platform that Glock will never address... And why should they? As long as Gen Y blindly opens their wallets without question, we will never see any real improvements.

Today's ultimate expression of the original Glock ideal is the Smith and Wesson M&P line.

* Better ergonomics- user adjustable grips, much better sights
* More natural Grip angle
* Fully supported chamber
* Steel reinforced polymer frame (Steel on steel action)
* More value- Lower price than competing Glock models
* Higher quality magazines
* Less mushy trigger feel
* etc...

The devil is in the details and at least a company like Smith & Wesson is willing to go back to the drawing board and improve its products for its customers.

Just this former Glock owners two cents worth.

gglass
November 30, 2008, 08:37 PM
MachIVshooter has it right - See first page of the thread

Although the disciples of Glock will never admit it, there are issues with the platform that Glock will never address... And why should they? As long as Gen Y blindly opens their wallets without question, we will never see any real improvements.

Today's ultimate expression of the original Glock ideal is the Smith and Wesson M&P line.

* Better ergonomics- user adjustable grips, much better sights
* More natural Grip angle
* Fully supported chamber
* Steel reinforced polymer frame (Steel on steel action)
* More value- Lower price than competing Glock models
* Higher quality magazines
* Less mushy trigger feel
* etc...

The devil is in the details and at least a company like Smith & Wesson is willing to go back to the drawing board and improve its products for its customers.

Just this former Glock owners two cents worth.

ZeBool
November 30, 2008, 09:09 PM
Put a grip safety on it, refine the trigger, and make it feel like a 1911. Wait, Springfield beat them to it :neener:

Darth AkSarBen
November 30, 2008, 11:43 PM
Just trade it 'up' for a Taurus 24/7 Pro.

amcalpine
December 1, 2008, 10:59 AM
Springfield XD Tactical

Corrects the grip angle (like a 1911)

Holds a bunch

Fully supported barrel (unlike glock)

Conventional rifling (can shoot lead too)

No captive guide rod (more spring tuning)

Springfield technical support and lifetime warranty

I love um!!!

BornAgainBullseye
December 1, 2008, 11:43 AM
Its like taking an apple martini and trying ot improve it into a Crown Royal on the rocks.... I think they are fine the way they are. If that is your thing, If you want something different, get something different. They have night sights for them, and triggers and such... what more are you asking for it?

Chilean
December 1, 2008, 12:28 PM
you can't improve perfection :)

Ben86
December 1, 2008, 12:32 PM
The bore axis looks really high on the springfield xd. Do they have more or less recoil than Glocks?

I almost went with an xd compact 3" but instead went with the S&W M&P9c. Mainly because the xd's grip just felt to skinny, like I didn't have enough to grab. It also felt very top heavy.

But the fact that all we talk about are minor likes and dislikes about the glocks, xds and m&ps shows me that they are all among the best handguns the world has to offer.

SharonAnne
December 3, 2008, 05:45 AM
the glock is perfect. they say so in their advertising. Improve a Glock, HERESY!!!

stevekl
December 4, 2008, 03:50 AM
make it heavier, less reliable, and multiply the price tag by five.

and then it will be more like a 1911.

The Bushmaster
December 4, 2008, 02:20 PM
Yes...You can improve on the glock. Redesign it like a Kimber or simular 1911...All metal and no plastic...

Brian41
December 4, 2008, 02:28 PM
improve a glock? I think the already did that what's it called again?

oh yeah, a Taurus 24/7 PRO...

gglass
December 4, 2008, 02:57 PM
You just had to go there... Taurus!?
:barf:

SightSeeker
December 4, 2008, 03:01 PM
improve a glock? I think the already did that what's it called again?

oh yeah, a Taurus 24/7 PRO...

My buddy has that gun and it jams at least every 4th clip.

The Bushmaster
December 4, 2008, 05:17 PM
Clip??

CoRoMo
December 4, 2008, 06:30 PM
Make them in America.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
December 4, 2008, 06:38 PM
How can the Glock be improved?

Is this a trick question? Take a few close looks at the vastly superior SW M&P or Walther P99, or even the Taurus 24/7, and you will have your answer.

Funderb
December 4, 2008, 06:42 PM
aesthetics anyone?

haha, just kidding.
or am I?

:neener:

floydster
December 4, 2008, 08:46 PM
Is there anyway to improve a Glock???
Yes, put it along it's brother, the Hi Point:D
Sammo, Sammo.

KBintheSLC
December 5, 2008, 05:10 PM
I love my Glocks, but I have replaced the crappy stock sites and the plastic guide rods on all of them. If Glock shipped all pistols with night sights and stainless guide rods, it truly would be "perfection".

3wide
December 5, 2008, 06:49 PM
Offer more options and "stuff" so people could personalize their glock, like a 1911. It would make it more popular and profitable to many.

BobTheTomato
December 5, 2008, 07:06 PM
Add a bayonet.

mavracer
December 5, 2008, 09:14 PM
thin up the grip and change the grip angle like a 1911 add a nice crisp SA trigger like a 1911 add a grip safety and thumb safety for C&L carry like a 1911.
or better yet just throw it in the trash and get a 1911:neener:

Rossshady120
December 5, 2008, 09:23 PM
how about drop the price by 200 throw a safety and de cocker on it and get yourself a bersa.

heavyshooter
December 6, 2008, 03:27 AM
Put a grip safety on it, refine the trigger, and make it feel like a 1911. Wait, Springfield beat them to it.

You took the words right out of my mouth. The XD is the way to go if you go polymer. If you really want to improve on the Glock you would trade it for a SIG P226. But that's just my opinion.:D

XD-40 Shooter
December 6, 2008, 12:31 PM
Put the XD grip angle on it.:D:p

Defense Minister
December 6, 2008, 07:39 PM
+1 to the previous posters who have gone with the Smith & Wesson M&P. That's the best way to improve on a Glock!

lanternlad1
December 8, 2008, 04:35 PM
If you look at timelines, the XD is the improvement to Glock.
Same basic style, different safties, just as tough.
I haven't seen any torture tests for the M&P yet.

If you enjoyed reading about "Is there any way to improve the Glock?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!