Gotta A Question About Old Gun Books And Magazines

PDA

Ala Dan
September 20, 2003, 12:45 AM
Does anyone still save their copies of The American Rifleman
in those binder's that the NRA once offered? And how
about old copies of the Shooter's Bible ?

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

If you enjoyed reading about "Gotta A Question About Old Gun Books And Magazines" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sunray
September 20, 2003, 01:09 AM
Not The American Rifleman, but I have boxes of old magazines and books. Stopped buying the magazines though. Same old crap and they've gotten rather expensive up here. $8-9 bucks for a magazine is too expensive for me. Shooter's Bible though. Have a few of them, but they've gotten pricey too. I can get it in the library so it's not a big deal. I'm not in a hurry to read endless repeats of the same articles.

jsalcedo
September 20, 2003, 08:36 AM
I've got binders of 1955, 1960 1962 then loose copies from 49, 53 66.

I'ts fun reading the adverts ( barrel of 13 WW2 battlefield pickup pistols
for $27.)

capbuster
September 20, 2003, 08:56 AM
I tried the binders for awhile to keep my American Rifleman magazines but they were taking up too much room. I will generally keep gun magazines for about a year and then remove any articles I want to keep for reference in manila folders.If a magazine is special like an anniversary edition, I will try to hang onto it.

J Miller
September 20, 2003, 01:15 PM
I keep 'em all. I have every gun mag and catalog I ever bought or acquired. I love to go back and read Skeeters or Elmers articles in the complete magazine. The texture of the old paper and the original adds make it worth all they space they take up.
Never throw them away, never. When I do part with them, I'll cart the whole shebang over to a gun shop or gun range and let them sell the books to others.

TEXAS LAWMAN
September 20, 2003, 01:55 PM
I have every issue of American Rifleman from 1973 thru presently. They are not in binders but are grouped by year in cardboard boxes cut at an angle (for that very purpose).

Mike Irwin
September 20, 2003, 04:38 PM
I've got boxes of old Rifleman and Hunter magazines, along with others, such as Buns & Whammo...

I really wish I had bought bound copies of the years that I was writing for Rifleman. I think they're still available, some of them. I should get them.

Jason Demond
September 20, 2003, 07:34 PM
I have the American Rifleman mags from 1950 to the latest copy. Most of them were my Dads. When we moved a year ago, I bet we pitched 1000 lbs of gun mags, and that's no joke. I wish we could have kept them, but we didn't have enough room.

September 21, 2003, 04:55 PM
If you don't want to keep old gun magazines, spread 'em around. if your public library has a rack of free magazines put your old gun magazines there for others to enjoy. Of course, you may have to replace them as often as the library staff finds them and removes them.

telewinz
September 21, 2003, 05:11 PM
I buy all the used gun magazines I find for pennies on the dollar. Like Sunray said, its the same old crap year after year. The gun magazines never met a gun they didn't like. I have some mags from the 50's and 60's, great reading especially the advertisements. Read an article/review from the early 60's saying the Mosin Nagant was a turkey of a rifle and was unsafe to shoot and what little information they had on the SKS was inaccurate.

Hot brass
September 21, 2003, 08:16 PM
No binders but I have Shooting Times from 1978 to the present, Guns and Ammo from 1978 to 1988 missed some here and there, Handgunner from 1979 to the present. I have the old Peterson HandHunting Book/Mags also. The wife says get ride of them. I say dump some of your shoes. The discussion stops until another day. Even if the shoes go, the mags will stay :neener:

Bravo11
September 22, 2003, 02:47 PM
I've got a couple of the old binders with mags of 60-62.
Used to have 58-60 but they got wet and had to be trashed.
I haven't gotten around to getting any binders for my collection of
some 90's and thru the 2000's. They still offer them don't they?

Jeff OTMG
September 23, 2003, 02:04 AM
I have all of the Gun Digests since the first edition back in the 1950's. I have all the Shooters Bibles since 1944. I have a couple of earlier editions, but paper products from WWII and before are rare. I also have all of the Guns and Ammo Annuals.

I keep most of the magazine articles involving choice of gun, choice of modifications, choice of ammo, shot placement, and shoot dont shoot decisions because any information that you had prior to a shooting is admissible as evidence in your trial because it is professional information that you used to make your decisions.

It is all great reference material.

Hand_Rifle_Guy
September 23, 2003, 04:37 AM
I have a stack of NRA binders. 10-12 of 'em, from the late 70's through the 80's. I buy all I can find at garage sales. I have a bunch of mags from the 80's too, in G&A binders.

It's like travelling in time. Interesting changes in technology/attitude/emphasis over the years. I have the 1972 issue of American Rifleman announcing the introduction of Remingtons's new .357 Magnum load with a 125-grain half-jcketed hollowpoint.

A stack of Gun Digest and Shooter's Bible going back to the late 80's is available at my public library. I've read 'em all 2-3 times.

And I just acquired a PRIZE. Just about the entire stack of [i]The Double Gun Journal[/], missing only a couple of issues, all the way back to the beginning, acquired for all of a $1/each. They're in new condition, and that's a mighty good price for mags with a cover price of $12.95. Absolute treasure, and full of the most gorgeous pictures.

Ala Dan
September 23, 2003, 05:25 AM
Well folk's, its kind'a like this. I use to save all the
gun magazines and books*; the ones I subscribed to, and
the ones I bought at news stands and book stores. But,
after moving a couple of times in the last 25 years I just
don't have the space to keep 'em any more.:( However,
I do keep firearms related publications (books) and
accessory catalogs that I buy or receive. Just added a
03 REDDING and WOLFF catalog to the collection tonight.

*FootNote: just depends on what it is, and how important
it is too me.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

DCR
September 23, 2003, 11:14 AM
Wish we'd kept ours; Dad let me sell all his magazines from the 60's at our gun show tables during the '70's to supplement my allowance. 50 cents each; three for a dollar. All are long gone. Dang it!

If you enjoyed reading about "Gotta A Question About Old Gun Books And Magazines" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!