M1911 Remington

PDA

tizburnett
November 29, 2008, 06:02 PM
I can't find any history on this ser # 788xxx does any one know? It was my Great Uncles from the war.

If you enjoyed reading about "M1911 Remington" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
November 29, 2008, 06:56 PM
Sounds like you might have a 1942 Colt frame, with a Remington-Rand slide on it.

None of the WWII Remington-Rand serial number blocks were in that range, but Colts were.

rcmodel

tizburnett
November 29, 2008, 07:43 PM
He thanks, Yea that looks like the answer I was looking for! would know the value or where I could get the value?

Trebor
November 30, 2008, 12:11 PM
With such little info, the value could be *anything.* Really.

At this point, it's like asking, "I have a Ford Mustang. What is the value?"

There is more collector interest in 1911 pistols now then in the past, so in general, prices have gone up.

But, the specifics of each individual gun are what really determines the value.

We already know yours is a mismatch from slide and frame. That automatically knocks it out of the highest, nosebleed prices, that the "all original - all pristine" guns command.

Now your looking for the current "market value" for a GI mismatch gun with a Remington Rand frame and Colt slide. You should probably assume it was refinished as well.

That still leaves you with quite a wide possibility for value though. What is the condition of the gun? Is it the original military finish or military refinish, or has it been commercially refinished? Any alterations done by the owner? New sights, front strap stipplilng, that sort of thing? Original grips?

If you can post a few pics, that would help as well. But, any estimate on value by anyone who doesn't actually see the gun in person is no more then an estimated guess. If this was a high end, all original gun, you'd want an appraisal. For a mis match though, since the value won't be as high, a good educated guess should get you in the ballpark. More info would help a lot though.

rcmodel
November 30, 2008, 02:02 PM
I'd have to say all is not doom & gloom just because the slide & frame are mismatched.

Every 1911 in U.S. inventory was arsenal rebuilt two or three times during the time they were in service. (1911 to 1985)
With very little regard at all to keeping the original parts together.

If it is an unmolested, nice example of a G.I. 1911, it is still worth a lot of money.
Probably at least 50% more then what a brand new Colt Military repro sells for.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/932218884/Guns/Pistols/Colt-Automatic-Pistols/Colt_1911_U_S_Marked_45ACP.htm

Still as Trebor said, there is no way to guess at a value without knowing all the details & condition.

rcmodel

If you enjoyed reading about "M1911 Remington" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!