Cimmaron Derringer

PDA

Byron
November 29, 2008, 06:58 PM
Cimmaron is selling a Remington style derringer.One has barrels in 32 mag and 38 Spec and the other in 22LR and 22 mag. Does anyone know of the quality of these or any other information? Thank, Byron

If you enjoyed reading about "Cimmaron Derringer" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Onmilo
November 30, 2008, 11:22 AM
It is the Davis Derringer with the Cimarron Logo applied.
Sort of sad that they have to stoop to this level to offer a Derringer.

I don't know if you are old enough to remember the Great Western and F.I.E copies of the Remington Double Derringers chambered for the .38 special, but these were the best and closest examples ever made.

American Derringer and H-S Derringers offer/offered some high quality stainless steel versions yet these still do not handle quite the same because the dimensions are quite different than the original .41 Remington.

This is one of those wish list firearms I have wanted.
A dimensionally exact copy of the Remington Double Derringer produced in high quality modern steel and chambered for a cartridge such as the .44 Russian center fire or .45 auto rim.
Keep the price below $400.00 retail, produce it in the U.S. and the gun would sell like hotcakes at a fat farm.

Byron
November 30, 2008, 12:17 PM
Onmilo,Thanks for the info.I thought it looked to much like a Davis. Yes, I do recall the others you mentioned. I think I am older than Georgia Red Clay.
The Philadelphia Derringer is another one I would like to have and should have bought one long ago.I understand the kits are frustrating. Byron

Old Fuff
November 30, 2008, 12:59 PM
There are at least two problems with the original Remington o/u derringer or exact duplicate thereof.

1. The (so called) safety is idential to the Colt Single Action Army, and if you carry either with the hammer held in the safety notch and drop the gun the result will likely be an unintentional discharge. You can safely carry the derringer by only loading one barrel, but being limited to one shot doesn't seem to be a very good idea.

2. The barrel hinge is weak, and prone to cracking. Better material would help, but not necessarily prevent this.

In terms of cartridges, the barrel wasn't big enough to take anything larger in diameter then the .41 R.F. it was chambered in. If you want something larger you will have to go to a bigger gun.

If you want a better (and safer) design, go to a upscaled Hi Standard derringer.

Personally, I prefer a small revolver.

Byron
November 30, 2008, 01:34 PM
Old Fluff, Thanks for the response.I do agree with you a small revolver is better,even a N American prevolver. Just a bit of the old flavor of the west intriques my wife and I. My carry gun is a beretta 84FS. Byron

Old Fuff
November 30, 2008, 02:23 PM
Just a bit of the old flavor of the west intriques my wife and I.

As it does me, and I live in the middle of it. But far more people - men and women - carried small revolvers then derringers.

I have an original Remington, and I have carried it - but not often. A local gun dealer has one, and you'll find it in his pocket all of the time. ;)

Onmilo
November 30, 2008, 02:58 PM
Hard steel backers and a larger diameter hinge would solve the cracking issue and yes, the gun would need to be slightly larger to accomodate a larger diameter bulleted cartridge.
While safeties are a good thingm no doubt, I am betting more folks were accidently hurt by their horse than accidently hurt by their Derringer.

The Derringer serves no useful defense purpose today, it is simply the mystique of the weapon that intrigues myself and others.

If you enjoyed reading about "Cimmaron Derringer" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!