I am sure this has been asked a billion times but...

PDA

SilentStalker
November 29, 2008, 07:29 PM
I have a new, well new to me Pre-ban AR15. I always thought that .223 could be interchanged with 5.56mm rounds for the most part and have done so in the past. However, lately I have heard that his can be dangerous and leads to problems. So, for my newly aquired AR15 I would like to make sure I am using the correct ammo. It is a Bushmaster in near perfect condition. The lower receiver is stamped .223-5.56mm and the barrel, a 1/9 twist, itself just has 5.56mm stamped on it. According to Bushmaster either round can be used just fine but I want to be sure. So, my question is what round do I use?

If you enjoyed reading about "I am sure this has been asked a billion times but..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
FlyinBryan
November 29, 2008, 07:31 PM
which ever round shoots the best in it.

both are fine in your case

Canuck-IL
November 29, 2008, 07:32 PM
It has been asked a billion times - that's why there is a search function...!

If Bushmaster made it, I suspect they know what can be fired through it...?
/Bryan

SilentStalker
November 29, 2008, 07:34 PM
I did a search but could not come up with definitive answers and I just wanted to be sure because I have also read that it is find until you start shooting military loads which is something I have a ton of so I wanted to be absolutely sure. Thanks for the replies.

ny32182
November 29, 2008, 07:42 PM
The Bushmaster barrel you describe sounds like a 5.56mm chambered model to me. If so, you can shoot either 5.56 or .223 spec ammo with no issue. If its a .223 chambered gun (probably the varmint line) you might run into some issues with 5.56 ammo. That is the conventional wisdom.

SilentStalker
November 29, 2008, 07:56 PM
Well, like I said the receiver says cal.223-5.56mm and the barrel itself says B MP Nato 5.56mm 1/9 HBAR. So, like you said I am assuming that the receiver is made for both and the barrel is for 5.56mm.

ny32182
November 29, 2008, 07:58 PM
The receiver marking is irrelevant... you can shoot at least a dozen calibers through that receiver. The barrel marking is what you want... and that is the barrel marking for a 5.56 chambered barrel. You can shoot 5.56 or .223 spec ammo with no problem.

franconialocal
November 29, 2008, 08:01 PM
I own own a Bushmaster and shoot both, no problems. Enjoy!!

SilentStalker
November 29, 2008, 08:07 PM
Thanks guys.

If you enjoyed reading about "I am sure this has been asked a billion times but..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!