Best place to buy AK parts kits?

PDA

wacki
November 29, 2008, 10:42 PM
I want to build/get a few of them before any possible ban.

thx!

If you enjoyed reading about "Best place to buy AK parts kits?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
elmerfudd
November 29, 2008, 11:04 PM
Just buy a Saiga instead. The parts kits started to dry up about 2 years ago. At this point you'll end up paying more for a parts kit than if you bought new, assuming you can even find one.

anymanusa
November 29, 2008, 11:07 PM
I just bought a parts kit from Apex. It cost me 169 plus shipping.

I can't wait to get it.

wacki
November 29, 2008, 11:46 PM
Just buy a Saiga instead.

Ok, how to do you convert a Saiga? And how much does it cost?

anymanusa
November 29, 2008, 11:52 PM
Doesn't cost more than $100 to convert, but you have to find one first.

Basically you have to buy a stock, pistol grip, fcg, and a retainer wire/spring, and a pg nut and screw to convert. Add the cost of your selected items and then you have to spend some time doing the work.

I converted 2 Saiga's, and now I'm going to build an AK from a parts kit.

Converting is a good first step.

wacki
November 30, 2008, 12:15 AM
Basically you have to buy a stock, pistol grip, fcg, and a retainer wire/spring, and a pg nut and screw to convert.

Care to explain the text in bold?

I'll probably convert a saiga for plinking purposes but I'd love to build a legit AK from a parts kit for collection purposes.

Kino74
November 30, 2008, 05:28 AM
If you look on an AK receiver you will see the two pins. The retainer wire is the wire that slides between the two axis pins that hold the hammer and trigger into place. The PG is the pistol grip and is held in plce by a long screw and nut.

wacki
December 6, 2008, 09:31 PM
how hard is it to convert saigas so they accept regular AK mags?

dscottw88
December 6, 2008, 09:36 PM
The rifle will cost about $400, and to convert it will cost another $150. You'll need a Pistol Grip, FCG (Fire Control Group) which contains a US made trigger, hammer, disconnector etc. which can be bought from tapco.com. And you'll need a stock, I got mine at ultimak.com. And please, dont forget an AK trigger/hammer retaining plate.

Here are written Instructions: http://www.cross-conn.com/Saiga_Conversion/

And Video Instructions: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=saiga+conversion&search_type=&aq=f

And Inspiration:
http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh234/m4dscottw88/DCP_0005.jpg

MD_Willington
December 6, 2008, 10:59 PM
My 5 year old son helped me, its that easy, it was a father son project, July 4 2007...

Not hard at all.

dscottw88
December 7, 2008, 04:39 AM
As far as magazines go, I'm told Galil 35 rounders work well. Also, there is a East German Weiger steel magazine thats supposedly pretty good. Promag also makes .223 AK mags but iv'e only heard complaints when it comes to those.

As for me, I used Bulgarian 5.56 AK magazines. It takes me 5 minutes of filing for it to fit snug in the mag well so it's pretty dang easy to convert. Feel free to ask any questions you may have regarding the saiga conversion and I'd be happy to help. Here is a link showing some different magazines you can use, along with instructions on how to modify them. Again, it's really easy. http://www.dinzagarms.com/saiga_223/223rtk.html

Mid way down the page, you'll see a link that says "Magazine Options."

dscottw88
December 7, 2008, 04:42 AM
Sorry, Double Post.

dscottw88
December 7, 2008, 04:43 AM
Sorry, triple post.

dscottw88
December 7, 2008, 04:44 AM
This is embarassing. Post 4.

dscottw88
December 7, 2008, 04:45 AM
Best for last. Again sorry for the quintiple post.

ckay
December 7, 2008, 10:25 PM
SHould've thought of this way before the election. Kits that were $100 are now selling for $350 on arf.

scottishclaymore
December 15, 2008, 12:18 PM
This is a stupid question, I know, but I have never bought a parts kit before: Is the parts kit all the pieces of the gun that have simply not been assembled? Do you just put it all together when it gets to you, or is there some other kind of work involved?

Ian
December 15, 2008, 12:56 PM
A parts kit is a full auto gun which has had its receiver chopped into three pieces with a big honking blowtorch. To assemble it into a working rifle again you need to either buy or fabricate a new receiver, and then reassemble the component pieces onto it (which generally means riveting things together, but sometimes involves welding). It's not a trivial process, but it can certainly be done by someone with some patience and a decent home shop.

elmerfudd
December 15, 2008, 12:58 PM
Parts kits are generally old rifles that are sold off as surplus. Since no full auto rifles can be imported into the states they cut up the receiver, (and the barrel too now), and then import the rest as a parts kit.

To put them back together again you need the missing parts, the parts to make it comply with US law and the tools to assemble and headspace it properly.

If you enjoyed reading about "Best place to buy AK parts kits?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!