New Mini-14 thoughts

PDA

DSAPT9
November 29, 2008, 11:56 PM
I looked for posts on the new Mini-14 but did not see any as of late so here is mine. Sorry if a repete.

I recently won a New Mini-14 NRA with 2-20 round mags and was wondering if any body had any thoughts on them. It looks like they re-designed the barrel and the gas system and the testing I have done so far shows it is a lot more accurate than the old version even with cheap ammo. I have shot 2 three shot groups of less than 2 in with wolf and 1 three shot group of .75 with 55 gr. Tap ammo. I am impressed as the last 2 Mini’s I owned a few years back a 3 in group was good with any ammo. So far I like it.

Did I get a good one or has anybody else gotten the same results?

If you enjoyed reading about "New Mini-14 thoughts" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Autopistola
November 30, 2008, 12:05 AM
A friend of mine reports 2-3moa with his new 18" model, and that might improve with his new bushnell trophy red dot. I steered him towards PerfectUnion.com and now he is planning a smaller gas bushing and making his own barrel stabilizer.

I think I'll get the new mini 30 someday. Not that I need it, I just like my handy .30cal carbines (AK, Saiga, SKS).

Tarvis
November 30, 2008, 01:32 AM
I read on another thread that the NRA version is not as accurate as the new ranch models. I also think they are one slick lookin' rifle though, so congrats on your win. I don't know about the new rifles, but I've heard buffering the charging handle/gas system with pieces of rubber and reducing the size of the gas port helps with accuracy as well.

Ignition Override
November 30, 2008, 02:24 AM
DSAPT9:

You might enjoy the website which revolves mostly around Mini 14s and 30s-
"Perfectunion.com".
There is a forum for magazines, becuase so many aftermarket mags are unreliable or useless, unless modified.
Some gunsmiths have never worked on these mags.

FlyinBryan
November 30, 2008, 02:40 AM
i had one of the older models but it wouldnt even dream of shooting 1 or even 2 inches at 100yds.

i have since moved to the ar platform.

however, if my mini had shot like you say yours does, i probably would have stuck with it.

it was very reliable, and like all minis, was sleek and handy as heck (not to mention, it was absolutely beautiful, at least i thought so.)

sounds like you found (or even better, won) a keeper.

SHvar
November 30, 2008, 04:04 AM
Ive had one, a stainless ranch rifle for many years, it has been fun to shoot sometimes, but accuracy is definitely not something its designed for. At 50 yds with a 2.5-10x50 scope I can drive tacks with it, at 100 yds I cant guarrantee anymore than the first shot of 3 being within the area I aim at.
The barrels are way to thin for accuracy, the rifle is designed as a simple reliable all purpose ranch rifle that will "go bang" every time you pull the trigger.
If that is what you are seeking, then enjoy it.

Autopistola
November 30, 2008, 09:58 AM
SHvar, that is a common problem with mini's. The extra weight of barrel stabilizers or muzzle brakes seem to remedy it, but I don't think the newer mini's have that problem so much. The .223 version has a thicker barrel now, and all 2008 versions have a heavier tapered portion right before the gas block.

My dad had a beautiful, all wood early series when I was a teen. I figured he got rid of it because of accuracy problems, but when I asked about it recently he said it was really accurate (he's a handloader). He just didn't use it much and wanted to use the money for other guns...:banghead:

Neo-Luddite
November 30, 2008, 11:07 AM
I recently won a New Mini-14 NRA with 2-20 round mags

Keep it and enjoy the heck out it.

charlie505
December 1, 2008, 01:28 PM
I just ordered a NRA Mini = as a NYC resident ARs and AKs are forbidden. I cant wait to pick it up. I already have an old mini and love it - no jams in 20 years = thousands of rounds and as for accuracy - i can guarantee minute of bad guy @ 100 yds+

DSAPT9
December 1, 2008, 02:31 PM
Thanks for the return posts and the web site PerfectUnion.com a lot of good information. I will be keeping the rifle I have never really won anything before and this is the coolest. I have collected another 8 factory 20 round mags plus the 2 that came with the rifle for a total of 10. Ruger had special pricing on their web sight and I ordered them before they became backordered.

Once again thank you for the information!

1KPerDay
December 2, 2008, 06:19 PM
Cool rifle; congrats!

If you enjoyed reading about "New Mini-14 thoughts" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!