Anyone on here own a Sako TRG22 or 42...?

PDA

SilentStalker
November 29, 2008, 11:55 PM
If so, what are your thoughts on this gun? Do you regret buying it? Is there anything that you do not like about it? Do you feel as if it was not worth the $2000 price tag? I am trying to find as much information about this rifle as I can as it will most likely be a purchase soon and may very well be my last for a long time.

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone on here own a Sako TRG22 or 42...?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
sernv99
November 30, 2008, 01:01 AM
see my past postings...I had a similar question, looking at the Steyr, Accuracy International, and Sako TRG. There were positive responses for the TRG

I searched around on some other forums and the TRG was very highly rated as well, worth the $$$ and pound for pound, as good as the more expensive tactical rifles.

I was thinking to get one in .338 Lapua but to shoot this round, you would need to reload, unless you are loaded with $$$ and can buy the ammo without reloading. Some suggested this rifle in the .300 Win Mag as a good alternative if you don't reload (since it's a lot more common off the shelf).

SilentStalker
November 30, 2008, 02:52 AM
Hmmm...thanks for the response. I knew the TRG42 would be expensive to shoot but the TRG22 should be a little more feasible. I am just not sold on the idea of spending that kind of $$$$ for a rifle yet. I may still get one but I am having an extremely hard time making up my mind. reloading for me is out of the question at the current time so I am definitely looking for something I can find lots of ammo for off of the shelf.

Coal Dragger
November 30, 2008, 03:14 AM
If common ammo is a must go for the TRG-22 in .308. I would like to add a TRG at some point as well, but right now it's not in the cards. I can also recommend the Steyr SSG 69 PII, mine is an excellent shooter.

Pulse
November 30, 2008, 07:17 AM
i do not own one personaly, but i shot a TRG42 in .338 lapua mag on multiple occasions.

the rifle is a beautiful piece of work and, once i have the time to get in to reloading, i will get my self one, but as others said, shoting .338LM is a no-no if you dont reload since quality rounds are up to 8$ each, with reloading you can get it down to about ~1,50$-2$.

i especially like the muzzle break that comes with it, the .338LM with the break has less recoil then my k-31 in 7.5mm Swiss, wich allready is a mild shooter.

the accuracy is nothing short of astonishing, the first time i had the chance to use it, i was able to make the holes touch at 300meters.

the owner of the rifle bought it to compet in long range shooting, he claims that with the right loads and quality bullets, he regularly out-shoots .50BMG rifles at matches.

overall i am realy looking forward to get my hands on one of these.

Tman
November 30, 2008, 08:35 AM
Silentstalker:
I've had one for about a year. For me, it fits very nicely. Accessories for it are very expensive. I purchased mine for about $2450, added factory muzzle break, one additional mag, and factory bipod. With tax, it came out to about $3500. If you add shim pads, a scope mount and a nice piece of glass, your getting into some big bux. Having said that, its a very nice rifle, accurate, and for me, fits nicely. Knowing what I now know, I would easily make the purchase again.

Afy
November 30, 2008, 08:43 AM
I have shot the TRG 42 and have come very close to buying one in .338 Lapua.

The rifle is excellent. But the recoil was a bit much. As was the price for what you get...

A fully speced out rig, complete with a brake and suppressor and top notch scope will set you back upwards of 7K euro's here.

Given the lack of shooting talent.. and the fact that I generally shoot at 100-300 meters I opted out.

sernv99
November 30, 2008, 09:56 AM
I have heard similar complaints about the recoil of the .338 Lapua, some saying it can cause a flinch to some shooters.

they produce the .338 Lapua round in other models like Remington 700, etc so don't get the TRG round solely because of the .338 Lapua. But if you don't plan to shoot that much each year, it may be ok ,cost wise, to budget for off the shelf ammo. Sort of like when I sold my 9mm and kept my .45 as my only handgun. Yeah .45 ammo is more expensive than 9mm but I don't shoot my .45 alot to break my wallet with buying off the shelf ammo.

anyone else have opinions on an alternative to .338 Lapua? what about a .300 WM??

gvnwst
November 30, 2008, 12:02 PM
A mod here (Zak Smith (http://thehighroad.org/member.php?u=294)) knows all you need to know about the TRG, and the AI-AWSM, if you want a comparo with a similar rifle. The TRG is great, but chmbered for five dollar bills, so to speak.

Medusa
November 30, 2008, 12:45 PM
Seen it, shot it in both, .308 and .338 calibres, our military uses it. It's a neat gun, accurate, comfortable, dependable.

With .338LM the best I've seen is some (can't remember whether it was 3 or 5 rounds) 4-5 inch group @700m (approx 770 y). One of the most popular sniper rifle type of weapons around here.

Sure, it's expensive, but that's for sure, if you do buy it in the end, you won't regret it.

if you have anything precise to ask, shoot me a PM.

SilentStalker
November 30, 2008, 01:00 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. I am looking into the TRG22 chambered for a .308. I like the idea of having the .338 lapua available but as others have said it is not wallet friendly and I really do not need that kind of round. I love the gun itself I am just having a hard time spending that kind of $$$$. I know that it is probably worth every penny but that and most likely will be the most expensive gun purchase that I will make.

Is there any other alternatives that may be a comparable rifle that is cheaper? Again, I love the SAKo and have read a lot about it and all of your comments just reinforce what I have read but this is a huge amount of money.

sernv99
November 30, 2008, 01:48 PM
those Euro guns are expensive by default. I had looked at the Blaser tactical, Walther, and Sako.

if you plan or have any inclination to buy other rifles in the future and toy around with other calibers, I would look for a cheaper alternative to the TRG. If you think the TRG will be your last rifle for a very long time, go ahead and splurge on it. I don't know if I would buy a TRG in .308. If I were buying something that expensive, I would go for a hard hitting big bore caliber.....308 calibers come a dime a dozen and you can buy a basic varmint rifle and trick it out for way less than a TRG .308....

my final advice would be to be patient. Look for a lightly used one on the auction sites. If you are not in a hurry, your patience will pay off.When I was toying around the idea of buying a TRG a few months ago, there were a couple deals here and there on gunbroker for lightly used TRGs for several hundred less than a new one.

keep us updated...I'm still debating as to go ahead with a TRG or not....

SilentStalker
November 30, 2008, 01:55 PM
^^^Well, this would definitely be my last rifle purchase for quite some time. This is why it is so important. Whatever the last one is, it needs to be something I can practice with regularly, hardhitting, and above all reliable. As far as being patient goes I am in no hurry as long as someone doesn't start saying I cannot purchase one *cough* if you know what I mean. All of this gun control talk is scary. I definitely need something feasible and effective at long range, but something cheap enough to where I can regularly buy ammo to practice with as well.

sernv99
November 30, 2008, 02:31 PM
I don't think they will go after bolt actions like they want to do with semi-autos. Caliber wise, the only thing I have heard about is Cali banning 50 caliber and I think that was due to the stupidity of Cali lawmakers associating the Barrett rifle with military use, thus making it an "evil" gun.

If the TRG attracts you, I'd say buy it, make sure to look for a lightly used one first from a reputable dealer. Since you are not in a hurry, you have time to look for a good deal. For caliber choice?? I don't know, that depends on your budget and how often you want to shoot. Since I won't be shooting that much (probably 300 or 400 rounds every few months), I would opt for the .300 WM. If you will be shooting every week, I guess you should go for the cheaper .308 but I feel 308 comes in a dime a dozen in so many cheaper alternatives that it isn't really worth it to get in a TRG unless you find a TRG for cheap.

SilentStalker
November 30, 2008, 02:41 PM
Yeah, I guess I see your point. Maybe I should get the TRG42 in the .338 lapua. I mean I can always buy a remington 700 of some sort and trick it out for most of my range/practice shooting and then only shoot the TRG every now and then. However, it is truly ridiculous in how much that round cost. I mean 5 shots for $40. That is insane, so I don't know LOL. I just know that I need something that is 100% good quality, accurate, and reliable.

However, one other reason for me to look at the .308 is because I have other stuff that already takes that round. I figure the more things I can get that use the same type of round then the better off I will be later on for purchasing, storing, and if the time comes reloading. I think it will be cheaper in the long run if I can get everything to within a few specific calibers of ammo.

Medusa
November 30, 2008, 03:26 PM
There's a small danger with .308Win TRG - hitting targets seem to get more common, so the challenge will soon fade away :) For me, the quality of the TRG seems to be an overkill for the .308 calibre. I think that for the .308Win, a good semi-auto does well, with higher volume of fire.

I'm not advocating the TRG, but it is a good weapon that does more than average man can put it up with.

Now, shooting a 1000m human torso size target with 20 inch barrel semi-auto .308Win rifle (Kalašnikov type action) with milsurp M80 ball ammo, and hitting 4 out of 5 times, is a slight challenge.

For the ammo cost, you just might start reloading it and developing a combo that suits the particular rifle the most. And shooting it, you could make every round count and rather focus on the each shot as your only one (as a wholly separate event), to squeeze the most out of it. The TRG in .338LM cal and preferred ammo can reach out to a nautical mile. Why not push it? Some shooting session passes with shooting only a dozen rounds or so. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

SilentStalker
November 30, 2008, 05:09 PM
Ok, so what would be something comparable to this gun that is cheaper? I might pick-up thte .338 Lapua at a later time but for now $6-$8 a shot is not feasible for me. Any alternatives? If I get into building a custom gun then that will wind up costing me as much as the TRG to begin with so I don't see the point in going there unless I can do it for much cheaper than I think I can. Suggestions on a comparable set-up or gun would be most appreciated. Oh, and it needs to be something that I can get stateside.

Tman
November 30, 2008, 06:04 PM
SS: Have you thought about a remington 700? You can shoot it, replace the barrel at a later date, change the stock, get it trued, etc. Same thing applies to a remington .338 lapua, I think it comes with a muzzle brake. With the money you save, you can get some good glass, bipod, reloading supplies for that .338 and lots of ammo for the cost of some of the custom job. When you've worn out the barrel, send it to a custom shop.

sernv99
December 15, 2008, 01:28 PM
did the OP buy the Sako? let us know what rifle you went with....

JHansenAK47
December 15, 2008, 05:24 PM
Really nice rifles. Just priced me out of buying one though. I am however buying a Sako Varmint in 22-250. You can get a them for around 1400 and they feature heavy match barrels, single set triggers and wide forends for benchrest shooting. However you could sandbag it and shoot it prone just fine. They got them in a couple of different calibers. However you might want to look at a FN rifle in a mcmillan stock or modifying a Rem 700. I am buying one of those FN SPR# FBI rifles (#not sure if it is the SPR PBR or the other one they have) for 1300 that has a nice bedded stock and floated barrel. It has a double sling stud so I could throw on a bipod really easy. The test target was .220". I am buying it from a guy that told me he had to many rifles and was getting rid of stuff he had double of.

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone on here own a Sako TRG22 or 42...?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!