My sons new deer rifle...he had Christmas a bit early

PDA

Ridgerunner665
November 30, 2008, 12:37 AM
Its a Remington Model 7 stainless synthetic in 308 Winchester.

We just got it tonight and neither of us can wait to try it out tomorrow...so we are going to take a break from deer hunting and sight in his new rifle tomorrow (weather permitting...it may rain)

He's been wanting to step up from his 243 for a couple of years now....I thought the Model 7 was about right...20 inch barrel and it is very light. I almost got him a 7mm/08 but I got the 308 because that is what I shoot 99.9% of the time and I have a very good stock of reloading components. (now we can share the expense...;))

I'll let you guys know how it does and post a couple of pics after we get the scope mounted and everything.

If you enjoyed reading about "My sons new deer rifle...he had Christmas a bit early" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Almond27
November 30, 2008, 12:54 AM
Very cool I think my next hunting rifle will be in .308 looking at Remington or Savage.

ugaarguy
November 30, 2008, 12:57 AM
Great rifle, and even better that it's for your son.

Ridgerunner665
November 30, 2008, 01:00 AM
Almond...I don't know what type of rifle you had in mind...but if you're looking for a short one, don't overlook the Ruger Scout rifle in 308...it looks kinda funny with scope mounted forward on the barrel but I very nearly bought me one tonight. I probably would have but I could not make up my mind between a Remington 750 Carbine (semi auto) or the Ruger Scout rifle.

ECVMatt
November 30, 2008, 02:23 AM
that is one fine rifle. I bought a youth model 7 for my son to learn on. He is only 3 so I guess we have a couple of more years to wait.

Post some pictures and let us know how she works out.

Good luck sighting in.

Matt

Shawnee
November 30, 2008, 07:29 AM
Ridgerunner....

Let's see some pics of your son and his new swatter !

;)

woof
November 30, 2008, 07:48 AM
If the recoil in that light rifle is a bit much don't overlook the managed recoil ammo. It has better than .30-30 ballistics, much less recoil and I shot some of it and found it very accurate.

Ridgerunner665
November 30, 2008, 09:10 AM
woof,

Thanks for the advice...he can handle the recoil, he would have gotten a 300 WSM if it had been up to him. He reads too many of those hunting stories about armor plated deer. He's been shooting since he was 5 and the only thing that ever bothered him was the sound...not the recoil.

Pics later today.

Ridgerunner665
November 30, 2008, 04:42 PM
Well we could not find any scope bases for a Model 7 locally...Dicks, WalMart, and a couple of gunshops...nobody had them. I'll order them from Midway or Cabelas...

I'll add a pic in a few minutes..but it will be a bare rifle.

Almond27
November 30, 2008, 04:56 PM
Ridgerunner thanks for the tip on the scout I'm going to look into those, for some reason though I have my heart set on a Savage. I just feel they offer the best deal for a high quality rifle, I can get one for around $450 and shoot with the rifles that cost $599. So I look at it as I can get a Savage and a Leupold for around the same price as the model 700 I was looking at. But I might just save up and get something a little nicer than the Savage.

Ridgerunner665
November 30, 2008, 07:34 PM
Here it is...

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc137/Ridgerunner665/126_2673.jpg

Almond27
November 30, 2008, 08:06 PM
Thats nice!!

Sinixstar
November 30, 2008, 10:45 PM
What my dad did for me with my first muzzleloader, was bought it early so I could use it during the season - and told me "i borrowed this from my friend, so be really careful with it - don't drop it or mess it up, it's gotta go back at the end of the season".

So here I am thinkin i'm usin this guy's muzzleloader, being extra careful with it and everything (looking back I should have known better, it didn't have a knick or spec of dirt on it). Pretty much fell in love with the thing during the course of the season, and got all pissy when I had to give it back.
Come christmas - here's this big long box under the tree - open it up, and look at this! "His Friend's" muzzle loader wrapped up with my name on it.
Probably one of the better christmas surprises i've ever had.

Ridgerunner665
November 30, 2008, 10:47 PM
I wish I had thought of that...

I adjusted the trigger (Xmark) on it today...he wanted it like the one on my SPS Tactical. Now its a crisp and clean 28 ounces.
Some may feel that's a bit light for a hunting rifle...and for some people it may be, but Brock is safer in his gun handling than 99.999% of the people I have seen in the woods.

He know the 4 rules...I told him not to worry about the 10 commandments that they teach in Hunters Safety...

He has read ALL of Jeff coopers books...even did a book report for school on "To Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth".

If you enjoyed reading about "My sons new deer rifle...he had Christmas a bit early" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!