My reviews of the Eotech and Aimpoint

PDA

Trebor
November 30, 2008, 11:51 AM
I have both an Eotech (N battery version) and an Aimpont C4.

I wrote a couple of fairly long and detailed reviews of each over at the Epinions site, including some direct comparisions of the two.

Here are the direct links for anyone who is interested.

www.epinions.com/review/Aimpoint_9000SC_4_Moa_Real_Tree_Hardwoods_Md_11410/content_423335136900

www.epinions.com/review/Eotech_552_Military_Holosight/content_423290375812

If you enjoyed reading about "My reviews of the Eotech and Aimpoint" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
NCsmitty
November 30, 2008, 01:16 PM
Thanks for the review, Trebor.
Personally, I think that they are overpriced and over rated. It's difficult to do any longer range shooting due to the large dot coverage. Neon irons do just about as well at closer ranges.

NCsmitty

franconialocal
November 30, 2008, 02:55 PM
I know, I know....."BSA is JUNK"....is the resounding feeling I get, but I have a BSA (Tactical Series) holo red-dot sight on my AR that is just great at a FRACTION of the price. There is virtually NO parallax, and the battery life is amazing. Also (the best part), the front and rear lenses have steel swivel aperatures that close over the lenses (like a camera lens) so no caps to lose or have to keep track of!!

I fell into the "BSA is JUNK" trap too, always seeing them at Wal-Mart next to the 250f.p.s. lame ass Airsoft guns, and trust me......those BSA's are the BOTTOM of the barrel (in my humble opinion)....but this one is more "high end" and really nice. Mine has taken a beating and is FLAWLESS!!

Also, I outfitted my Mossberg 500 with a Pentax red-dot that is really nice too. What I DO like about the EOTech and similar models is the compact size.

HorseSoldier
November 30, 2008, 05:13 PM
It's difficult to do any longer range shooting due to the large dot coverage.

The EOTech is a one MOA dot with the 65 MOA outer ring. Shooting my EoTech 512 with Mk 262 ammo I've made consistent hits on 19" wide steel chest plates at 600 meters with it, once I figured out the hold over.

rob_s
November 30, 2008, 05:57 PM
Personally, I think that they are overpriced and over rated. It's difficult to do any longer range shooting due to the large dot coverage. Neon irons do just about as well at closer ranges.
I'm curious to hear your frame of reference for this post. It is the complete opposite of my own experiences.

What do you consider "longer range"?

NCsmitty
November 30, 2008, 07:16 PM
My apologies to the EOTech users. I missed the fact that it is a one MOA dot and lumped it in with the Aimpoint. I've used red dot's before and they leave something to be desired for over 100 yd target shooting. They are fair for getting on game at reasonable ranges.
I still believe that even the EOTech is overpriced for the technology used.
I would much rather have a good 2-7x tactical scope for random situations. Older eyes appreciate the magnification.

NCsmitty

Brian Dale
November 30, 2008, 07:49 PM
Clear and concise, Trebor. Thanks.

rob_s
November 30, 2008, 09:12 PM
Using an RDS for "target shooting" is pretty much entirely missing the boat.

However, I've never had a problem hitting 6" steel at 200 yards with a 4 MOA Aimpoint.

What is your technological background that makes you think they are overpriced? What is your knowledgebase of electronics and economies of same?

NCsmitty
December 1, 2008, 08:16 AM
What is your technological background that makes you think they are overpriced? What is your knowledgebase of electronics and economies of same?

The point here is the questioning of my integrity and my need to respond!

I'm glad you asked that question rob_s. I have tech school training and background in true laser applications. I programmed and maintained a Mitsubishi laser cutter for a few years so I am qualified to make judgments in certain situations.
The simplistic reflex (holo) sights available are all based on the same principal and granted, the EOtech is perhaps made from more durable materials than the BSA, but $400 compared to $99 is a stretch. There are people who absolutely have to have the most expensive items for their equally expensive EBR's regardless. "You get what you pay for" is the old adage I believe, and is true to an extent but not always. The new BSA panoramic's have basically the same specs as the EOtech.

Using an RDS for "target shooting" is pretty much entirely missing the boat.
True, they are designed for close quarter use and cannot be considered for much longer range duty.
I prefer my bolt action 6.5mm for serious long range shooting compared to the rather anemic 5.56 any day. That's my "thing".

I checked out your blog site and it's nicely done, but I have no use for tactical warrior games or EBR's.

NCsmitty

Al Thompson
December 1, 2008, 08:26 AM
Thanks Trebor, great review. I have found that the Aimpoint makes more sense for us civilians (no need to turn off). For duty use, the Eotech seems well liked.

Around here, the aerial guys like the Eotech.

jpwilly
December 1, 2008, 11:17 AM
BSA panoramic? What one are you talking about?

http://www.pyramydair.com/images/acc/BSAOptics_PMRS_1983.jpg

OR

http://www.midwesthuntersoutlet.com/DisplayPic.aspx?PIC=46858

Coronach
December 1, 2008, 02:16 PM
Personally, I think that they are overpriced and over rated.Depends. For recreational shooting, they're overkill. However, for a fighting arm, they shine. Not many BSAs would survive a deployment in Iraq.

What matters is a realistic assessment of your needs. For 99% of us, a cheaper dot is fine.

It's difficult to do any longer range shooting due to the large dot coverage.It's hard to haul a chord of lumber in my Dodge Charger, too. Devices have purposes, and are designed accordingly.

And, if you train with it, you'd be surprised what you can accomplish with an Aimpoint's big dot. It's not bullseye shooting, but you can put rounds on torso-sized targets out to beyond the effective range of a 5.56x45 round.Neon irons do just about as well at closer ranges.Ever done a speed drill? I assure you that iron anything is not as fast as a red dot at rapid shooting, assuming you've trained with both equally.

Mike

NCsmitty
December 1, 2008, 03:28 PM
The top one is the BSA panoramic model with three variations of that. One of the models is a 3 MOA dot with the 65 MOA outer ring, similar to the Eotech but not 1 MOA. Retail is $99, Midway price is under $70.

Right now I have an budget NCstar holo on my Marlin model 60 stainless with red or green dot only and it works fine with 22LR ranges, in spite of the large dot that it has.

I need to back out of this thread as gracefully as I can to a safe redoubt, as I don't care for red dot models and some of you boys have a lot more experience with them than I.
I'm a one shot at a time kinda guy with my bolt rifles that I build myself, with big scopes and handloads, and my good days consist of 5 shots in one ragged hole at what ever range that I'm shooting.
If you served in the military fighting for this Country, I truly thank you.

Coronach, are you aware of the VZ-24's that SOG and J&G have for sale?

NCsmitty

Thin Black Line
December 1, 2008, 04:09 PM
It's difficult to do any longer range shooting due to the large dot coverage.

The EOTech is a one MOA dot with the 65 MOA outer ring.

Don't forget that Trijicon makes a reflex site with a chevron reticle making
"minute of eyeball" just a possible. No on/off switch or batteries to change
either.

Shipwreck
December 2, 2008, 06:29 PM
Try knocking that BSA sight against something and see what happens.

I have an EOtech 511 sight - I paid $305 for it new (bought online). By accident, it bumped a doorframe once. Rub that aluminum cage with a finger - and the mark cae off.

Had I used that BSA sight - it would have been broken.

U don't have to get the top of the line EOtech model if you don't need the night vision abilities.

WardenWolf
December 2, 2008, 06:59 PM
For the BSA people, practically everything they make is a copy of an Adco product. If you want what you're buying to actually WORK, you've got to shell out. The Adco products are very good, very reliable products for the money, although you will never see me shelling out the $200+ for a holographic dot. When you go from tube to holo, it usually increases the price by 50-100%. And for what? You don't gain anything really. The best sights, in my experience, are high-end tube dots.

W.E.G.
December 2, 2008, 09:27 PM
tough receiver for tough optics
http://www.tacticalinc.com/precision-machined-replacementbrpicatinny-rail-1022-receiver-p-961.html?osCsid=c079c3a19004b00fa2ab29b3bf194ada
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/rifle%20pics/Ruger%2010-22/imagemagicphp.jpg

Coronach
December 2, 2008, 09:37 PM
Coronach, are you aware of the VZ-24's that SOG and J&G have for sale?Ooooooooo...was not...

Good catch!

Mike

KODB
December 3, 2008, 11:31 PM
Nice review Trebor.
We have both EoTech (552 AA version w/ NV capability) and the newer Aimpoint Micro (T1). I have used both on M1 carbines with Ultimak rail and M1 Garands w/ Amega Ranges Scout rail. My experience mirrors Trebors: I personally prefer the EOTech reticle but the T1 is practically weightless and has been continuously on for about 8 months on one of our M1 carbines.
I do find that when moving through space (i.e. clearing house or rooms) that it is easier to "lose" the smaller red dot of the T1. I also find the EOTech reticle faster to make COM shots by centering the big donut but this is personal preference. Both are good pieces of gear!

Regards,
Bob

Trebor
December 4, 2008, 01:47 AM
KODB,

Funny you should mention M-1 Carbines with Ultimak mounts and Aimpoints.

That's *exactly* the setup I have and the reason I bought the Aimpoint.

My wife really loves the Carbine and got really good results with the Aimpoint at a rifle class.

That is a sweet set up.

If you enjoyed reading about "My reviews of the Eotech and Aimpoint" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!