Glock magazines: What you don't know can hurt you

PDA

Trebor
November 30, 2008, 11:18 AM
I wrote a review on Glock mags over at the Epinions site. There's some general info on the care of autoloader mags and some specific warnings about potentional problems to watch for with Glock mags specifically.

Here's the direct link to: Glock Magazines, what you don't know can hurt you.

www.epinions.com/review/17rd_9mm_Magazine_Firearm_Magazines_Glock/content_423813615236

While we are talking about Glocks, here's a review I did of the Trijicon Night Sights for the Glock as well.

www.epinions.com/review/Trijicon_Night_Sight_Sets_for_Glock_GL01Models_Trijicon_Glock_Green_Front_Yellow_Rear_Night_Sight_Set_Model_GL01Y/content_451558280836

If you enjoyed reading about "Glock magazines: What you don't know can hurt you" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Seven For Sure
November 30, 2008, 02:19 PM
You can reduce the mag catch wear on both the mag release and on the mag by pressing the mag release while inserting the mag.

Informative piece you wrote there.

Onmilo
November 30, 2008, 02:42 PM
It is also a well known fact that the slot cuts in metal magazines can become bashed out of shape from repeated hard insertions and the floor plates on these metal magazines can pop off and become damaged if dropped on a hard surface during training and tactical situations.

I have seen USGI 1911A1 magazines that were dropped on hard surfaces and hit hard enough to break the welds and dump the spring, follower, and contents out the bottom of the mag tube.

While nothing is infallible, the Glock magazines are far better than many.

drewzfoster
November 30, 2008, 03:48 PM
Yes, I have done that with a brand new GI type mag. I dropped it on the range house floor and watched it go everywhere. Followed by "Well now you got some spare parts..." by the range nazi.

rhinoh
November 30, 2008, 04:03 PM
range nazi? :scrutiny:

Trebor
November 30, 2008, 07:23 PM
Yep, I've seen other mags break as well.

The specific review I wrote was about Glock mags, and what you should know about them, which is why I didn't get into mag failures or breakages with other types of mags.

Nothing mechanical is perfect and anything can fail.

HoosierQ
November 30, 2008, 08:08 PM
Trebor

In your review you note the Glock magazine is lined with steel to prevent bowing into the mag well. That, in fact, is what happens with my 1991 Glock 17 when I load the mags with 17 rounds...the mag will not drop free without pulling. During the Clinton days I bought some 10 rounders and they do not do this. I just found that comment interesting because I never notice this phenomenon before. Of course, you don't need a full mag to drop free...you need an empty one to do so. I wonder if the age of these mags is an issue? The springs are good as far as I can tell.

Trebor
November 30, 2008, 08:36 PM
The first Glock mags were not metal lined. They also would not drop free. U.S. shooters hated that, so Glock eventually added the metal lining so that the mags would drop free.

Sounds like you have an older mag to me. Buy a couple newer mags and I bet they'll drop free.

X-Rap
November 30, 2008, 08:55 PM
Of all pistol mags. that I have had the factory Glocks in all calibers have been the best performers.

If you enjoyed reading about "Glock magazines: What you don't know can hurt you" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!