question on neck tension (sizing)

PDA

janobles14
November 30, 2008, 01:46 PM
will accuracy be greatly affected from round to round if the amount of neck sizing is different? example...i loaded some .30-06 rounds and only sized the neck enough to hold the bullet since the shoulders didnt need pushing back. then on the other half of the rounds i sized the neck about half way (you can see the sizing "ring"). will these two rounds shoot that much differently?

If you enjoyed reading about "question on neck tension (sizing)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Borg
November 30, 2008, 01:50 PM
Yes, it will.
When you say neck sized, dod you mean not sizing all the way down with a FL sizer?
If you did,, you'd better check to see if they will chamber in your rifle all the way,, most times they won't.

Walkalong
November 30, 2008, 03:03 PM
Neck tension can affect powder burn, which will affect velocity and or accuracy. Consistency, once you find the right combo, is the name of the game for accuracy.

rcmodel
November 30, 2008, 03:09 PM
enough to hold the bullet
then on the other half of the rounds i sized the neck about half wayIn either case you didn't really do what is considered neck sizing.

You at least need to size the neck the equilvient of one bullet caliber.
But to truly do it right, do it almost to the shoulder.

rcmodel

janobles14
November 30, 2008, 10:31 PM
size the neck the equilvient of one bullet caliber

what does this mean exactly?

243winxb
November 30, 2008, 11:25 PM
what does this mean exactly? bullet diameter is .308". This means the neck should be sized down from the mouth that much to hold the bullet. It just a general rule some use.

243winxb
November 30, 2008, 11:30 PM
will these two rounds shoot that much differently The cases sized half way may give better accuracy because the unsized part of the neck helps center the round in the chamber. If you are using a flrs die and the die touches the case body, the round may not chamber in your rifle. Using a flrs die in this manner works only with cases that have a large body taper.

janobles14
December 1, 2008, 12:15 AM
gotcha. i am using a fl die right now but have a neck size on order. i checked and all of the rounds mentioned chamber fine.

If you enjoyed reading about "question on neck tension (sizing)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!