Gun rags and a review of 380 autos

PDA

atblis
November 30, 2008, 01:52 PM
One of the magazines currently on the stands has a review of four different 380 autos.
Keltec P3AT
Ruger LCP
Two others that escape my memory.

Anyways. They had a ranking table for various aspects; accuracy, reliability, trigger maybe,... don't remember all of them. The Keltec had the number 1 ranking as best for all aspects.

So anyways, the Author spends the last page of the article explaining why you should buy the Ruger despite the Keltec being better in all catagories as reviewed by several different shooters. Apparently the Ruger is just prettier or something. I thought it was pretty dang funny and was chuckling the whole time I read it.

How do these magazines even pretend to have any credibility when they pull crap like that?

If you enjoyed reading about "Gun rags and a review of 380 autos" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
November 30, 2008, 01:57 PM
The don't.

But Ruger buys way more add space in that mag then Kel-Tec I betcha!

rcmodel

atblis
November 30, 2008, 01:57 PM
I looked for the full page Ruger ad, didn't see it.

jocko
November 30, 2008, 02:05 PM
the kt, I will stick with my Ruger lcp. I've owned both of them.

skeptiq
November 30, 2008, 02:09 PM
Because a company started in 1991 like Kel Tec could never compete with a company that has been around as long as Ruger. Obviously I say that tongue in cheek. Basically what I have noticed within all my hobbies, is although reviews can be helpful, I have learned to trust those that have first hand experience. You never know if a particular rag has an ulterior motive for one manufacturer over another. For example, if Ruger spends mass money in ads for whatever rag you were reading, it would be in that rags best interest to not give a Ruger a bad review. It would be easy for Ruger to pull their ad money and give it to another rag that strokes their ego better. That's why these boards are a great source of review. Obviously some people are brand loyal, but you can get some great info and make the most informed decision you can.

Shawnee
November 30, 2008, 02:11 PM
I'll be the first person to say the gun-zines put out a trainload (or two) of pure, 14k B.S.

But many times I've seen "ratings categories" skewed to "lead" someone to the conclusion that a certain product is better when - in fact, the rating categories are of only modest importance (if any) to the user.

For instance one .380 may weigh an ounce less than another so it "wins " in that category. Big Deal. In the Real World that ounce is meaningless.

One thing I can absolutely assure everyone about gun-zines is that the B.S. will never cease.

;)

November 30, 2008, 02:24 PM
Have had a few 380s and liked them all. Now carrying a Makarov(9X18) verses the 9X17 380. It is a good little shooter of moderate size and weight. I like the double action but the safety is hard to thumb throw. My son has a Sig 380 that I really really like, wc

hemiram
November 30, 2008, 02:29 PM
I've had a bunch of .380's and I was only sad to see the Beretta 84 and Browning BDA 380 go. Even the PPK wasn't missed.

R.W.Dale
November 30, 2008, 02:37 PM
Just remember at one time Ruger was looked upon in much the same light Kel Tec is now. A newcomer upstart company making cheap junk.

DawgFvr
November 30, 2008, 03:02 PM
Ruger .380 = Kel Tec .380

Give me a break...it's not like Ruger did any research and development and actually designed their copy of Kel Tec's .380 masterpiece of a .380 auto design anyhoo.

BlackHand1917
November 30, 2008, 03:04 PM
I had a chuckle over that article too!

skeptiq
November 30, 2008, 04:43 PM
Not intending to derail the OP's thread, but what are some good rags to read? What rag is referenced, Kel Tec vs Ruger?

atblis
November 30, 2008, 06:48 PM
I don't remember exactly which mag it was. There seem to be several that are all put out by the same publisher (guns and ammo maybe), but have different themes.

Darth AkSarBen
November 30, 2008, 11:28 PM
Saw that same article as well. Kel Tec P3AT had the best overall. I just prefer my Bersa Thunder 380 Good feel and excellent shooter. It has sights where the Kel Tec does not?
This pistol is quite a shooter, huh?

This is a 5 shot group by the way.

eazyasone23
December 1, 2008, 12:01 AM
Its the newest issue of handguns mag. It has keltec, ruger, NAA, and Cobra as the guns that get reviews.

mr.trooper
December 1, 2008, 12:45 AM
Sig 232 is by far the best overall 380, IMO.

jlh26oo
December 1, 2008, 01:21 AM
Was the Sig among the other two? They are probably focusing on the very smallest of .380's here only, so I'd be surprised to see the P232 competing with the likes of the K.T. and L.C.P. etc. But that would be nice if it were included. I'll check it out anyways. Thanks O.P.

B.T.W. you're saying in this article the author actually graded one pistol higher- in every category- then gave the other one his final recommendation?

380 autos

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One of the magazines currently on the stands has a review of four different 380 autos.
Keltec P3AT
Ruger LCP
Two others that escape my memory.
Anyways. They had a ranking table for various aspects; accuracy, reliability, trigger maybe,... don't remember all of them. The Keltec had the number 1 ranking as best for all aspects.

So anyways, the Author spends the last page of the article explaining why you should buy the Ruger despite the Keltec being better in all catagories as reviewed by several different shooters. Apparently the Ruger is just prettier or something. I thought it was pretty dang funny and was chuckling the whole time I read it.

How do these magazines even pretend to have any credibility when they pull crap like that?

BULLSI
December 1, 2008, 01:30 AM
At what distance did you shoot to get the five shot group?

SwampWolf
December 1, 2008, 07:45 AM
Not intending to derail the OP's thread, but what are some good rags to read?

When it comes to handguns, I like the American Handgunner best. For all types of firearms, the American Rifleman, Rifle and Guns are the ones I prefer. And when it comes to "B.S.", reading gun magazines and reading the stuff you find on the internet have some things in common: don't believe everything you read; use your own common sense and do your own independent research and field testing whenever possible.

moooose102
December 1, 2008, 08:27 AM
well, the ruger IS prettier than the kel-tec! what you have to remember, is to use these "comparisons" as just that. what the magazine says "wins" is purely subjective. what is important to the author may not be all that important to you. so read the articals, do more of your own research, and DECIDE FOR YOURSELF which is the "winner". these articals can be a great source of information. use them as such. and, by the way, i agree with the "ruger buys more ads than kel-tec" line of thinking. money talks!

atblis
December 1, 2008, 08:33 AM
B.T.W. you're saying in this article the author actually graded one pistol higher- in every category- then gave the other one his final recommendation?
Pretty much. It's quite amusing because you see it coming from a mile away.

jlh26oo
December 1, 2008, 08:36 AM
YEah it's just like in posts: <a bunch of points> then the "that being said" style counter-intuitive conclusion to make us go whaaaa?!

Mad Magyar
December 1, 2008, 09:35 AM
I like the American Handgunner best.

A double ++ on that....If you ever get a chance to get ahold of their magazines from the 1960's, Buy Them...They are classics in the depth & content of reviewing firearms. I read them over & over again...:)

jlh26oo
December 1, 2008, 02:19 PM
I saw one with the new Kahr P380 on the cover, but couldn't find any .380 A.C.P. "shoot-out" type articles.

If you enjoyed reading about "Gun rags and a review of 380 autos" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!