if I move to Maryland, then what?

PDA

MIgunguy
November 30, 2008, 04:36 PM
I used to live in The People's Republik of Maryland and am familiar with what the guns laws were in the '90's; I've heard they've gotten even worse. If I move back there, do I have to do anything regarding the handguns or so-called "assault weapons" I've bought in other states? Am I expected to "register" them, or is it like every normal state I've lived in and I just bring them in with me like they were a drill or vacuum cleaner (nothing required)?

If you enjoyed reading about "if I move to Maryland, then what?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
kingpin008
November 30, 2008, 05:10 PM
There is no registration of any sort here in MD. All "assault weapons" save for a few types of "assault pistols" are allowed here, as are high-capacity magazines. While you cannot buy, sell, or trade magazines with a capacity of over 20 rounds while in the state, you are allowed to possess them as long as they were bought somewhere else and brought in-state.

NFA items (Full-Auto included) is legal here, although I believe there is a yearly fee for FA goodies (something on the order of ten or fifteen dollars).

There is a "one gun a month" law that refers to handguns and other "regulated arms" (AR-15's, AK's, etc) but that is easily taken care of by filling out the forms that designate you a Maryland Firearms Collector. The forms are free, and will allow you to bypass the one gun a month rule.

It's not that bad here. :)

tang22
November 30, 2008, 06:20 PM
As mentioned above, watch out for any "assault pistols" you might own, you can't bring them into the state to stay with you. There are a few exceptions in the code (one is: you registered them with MD before 1994).

"Assault pistols" can be found defined in the code at:
http://mlis.state.md.us/asp/web_statutes_2009.asp?gcr&4-301

Having an "assault pistol"'s punishment is:
" a misdemeanor and on conviction is subject to imprisonment not exceeding 3 years or a fine not exceeding $5,000 or both"

The thing I hated about MD was that all FFLs in MD can only sell handguns on the approved "Handgun Roster", so sometimes you can't get a certain gun at all, or sometimes there is a delay with it being put on the list.
I left for Virginia years ago, and have never been happier.

MIgunguy
November 30, 2008, 06:55 PM
There is no registration of any sort here in MD.

handguns and other "regulated arms" (AR-15's, AK's, etc)

REALLY!? Like I said I used to live in MD and had bought both while there, and I always thought that along with the seven day wait (and paperwork) the guns were registered with the state police (and would have register the handguns and "regulated arms" I bought while living in Michigan if I move back to MD). Guess I was wrong, and am glad that I was.

Yes, it is a beautiful state, and I like it a hell of a lot better than Michigan (though concealed carry permits are easy to get here, that's one big difference with MD, no big deal to me, really). Winter's are sooo much more mild in MD.

FLA2760
November 30, 2008, 07:27 PM
This may help answer your questions.

http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/Federal/Read.aspx?id=74

MIgunguy
November 30, 2008, 07:53 PM
This may help answer your questions.

http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/Federal/Read.aspx?id=74

Cool, thank you!

kingpin008
November 30, 2008, 09:08 PM
Hey GunGuy - where in MD are you moving to? Might be able to suggest some good shops/ranges depending on where you're settling.

rbernie
November 30, 2008, 09:57 PM
How discretionary is getting a CHL permit in Montgomery or Howard counties?

ZombieHunter
November 30, 2008, 10:02 PM
MD's gunlaws aren't that bad regarding purchasing etc. Like they said, it's easy to legally bypass the 1/mo rule, you can have any size mag you want just can't buy/sell/trade over 20 in state.

The CHL/CCW is next to impossible at the moment. HOWEVER Dan Riley is working on passing a shall-issue bill and head over to www.mdshooters.com where some people are working hard to restore your rights.

MIgunguy
November 30, 2008, 10:06 PM
Hey GunGuy - where in MD are you moving to? Might be able to suggest some good shops/ranges depending on where you're settling.

No idea when or where. I hate Michigan, especially the winters, but can't sell my house (join the club). Would like to move out west, but that's really far from friends and family, so Marlyand may be more realistic (you never appreciate where you came from until you're away for a while). My parents are in Montgomery County, but that's expensive and too developed for me. I like the rolling hills and rural areas west of DC and Baltimore, so ideally somewhere out there.

The only gun store I really know is Atlantic Guns in Rockville (and Silver Spring). I have NO IDEA about any good ranges. There was one I went to near Frederick, but it wasn't that good IMHO. If you can suggest some I'd appreciate it.

MIgunguy
November 30, 2008, 10:08 PM
The CHL/CCW is next to impossible at the moment.

I heard that about Maryland. Michigan is shall issue and alot of states have reciprocity with Michigan, but I seriously doubt MD does.

kingpin008
November 30, 2008, 10:42 PM
How discretionary is getting a CHL permit in Montgomery or Howard counties?

Yeah...it's not discretionary at all. There's no CCW here unless you're a politician, or a business person carrying a ton of cash. Even the second example is pretty much not going to get you far.

I'm in Howard County, for the record. MIGunGuy - whenever you move, if you're anywhere near Howard County, feel free to drop me a line and we'll go shooting if you want. :)

Phil Lee
December 1, 2008, 10:57 AM
There is no "registration" of firearms in Maryland . . . EXCEPT the Maryland State Police maintain a list of buyer of all regulated firearms and the purchased firearm information. All regulated firearm sales (including "private" sales) must be approved by Maryland's NICS process, so eventually, a complete registration will be accomplished for all regulated firearms lawfully bought in Maryland.

Of course, criminal purchasers of regulated firearms are exempt from registration by this process.

You might need to change your plans for purchases before you come.

If you plan to purchase a regulated firearm in the near future, you should think about two points. If your planned purchase is a handgun (all regulated), many makes/models are not available in Maryland by reason of its ballistic fingerprinting program since not all vendors are willing to supply a shell casing with the new gun. I would suggest you contact a Maryland gun store to determine whether your planned purchase is available for sale here.

If you plan to purchase a "scary" semi-automatic rifle, buying it before you come here makes possible the purchase of standard magazines for the rifle. Buying that rifle here may mean the standard magazines are not available in Maryland (more than 20 round magazines can't be sold here). Some scary rifles are regulated and others which appear identical are not.

rbernie
December 1, 2008, 11:00 AM
There's no CCW here unless you're a politician, or a business person carrying a ton of cash. Even the second example is pretty much not going to get you far.
Sadly, that would be a deal-breaker for me.

wbwanzer
December 1, 2008, 11:32 AM
Retired police can usually get carry permits. If your life has been threatened, possibly, but it has to be a documented threat, not just you saying so.
I've lived here for 57 years. It's alright, but I'd move out west if I were you. Besides, when they nuke DC or NYC, we're just too close. I think chances of survival are greater out west. Just my 2 cents.

kingpin008
December 1, 2008, 11:44 AM
There is no "registration" of firearms in Maryland . . . EXCEPT the Maryland State Police maintain a list of buyer of all regulated firearms and the purchased firearm information. All regulated firearm sales (including "private" sales) must be approved by Maryland's NICS process, so eventually, a complete registration will be accomplished for all regulated firearms lawfully bought in Maryland.

How does a NICS check = registration? The records are not kept indefinitely, in fact it is the law that they be destroyed within a specfic time period (which escapes me at the moment).

So unless you can provide proof to the contrary, there is no "list" being maintained. :rolleyes:

Phil Lee
December 1, 2008, 05:59 PM
kingpin008 says: So unless you can provide proof to the contrary, there is no "list" being maintained.

Actually, the list is being maintained and is being maintained without any regard to any action of mine. The list has nothing to do with NICS and is an independent action of the sovereign state of Maryland.

Whether I can convince you is another matter.

Let me make a few points:
1) Maryland has a one gun a month purchase limit for regulated firearms. If they didn't know you purchased a handgun a two weeks ago in Dundalk, Maryland, how would they disapprove your purchase in Silver Spring, Maryland today?

They keep a list and have done so for many years.

But, that brings me to #2:
2) Maryland has a ballistic fingerprinting program which ties a data base of shell casings to the handguns they are fired from. Each new handgun sold in Maryland must submit a shell casing and that data along with the name and particulars of the buyer are kept in that database. Otherwise, how do you think they could follow the evidence trail from crime scene shell casings to guns used through this data base.

Well they can't follow the trail, but for technical reasons, not for obviously stupid reasons like not keeping the purchaser information.

Maryland has conducted background checks for regulated firearms for years prior to NICS being established. All state regulated firearms are checked by the Maryland State Police using NICS. So, the state police gets your application to purchase a regulated firearm -- including cases of so called private sales. And they keep the data in an automated system.

The existence of this state data base is known well enough to appear in an entry to Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_the_United_States_(by_state)#Maryland)

On pages with printed number 15 & 16 under Firearm Sales of the 2007 Department of State police audit report (http://www.ola.state.md.us/Reports/Fiscal%20Compliance/Police07.pdf) you can find a discussion of their automated system and how the state police conducts audits of their records and dealer records (years later) to see that background checks have been performed and shell casings submitted.

Convinced yet?

mp510
December 1, 2008, 06:06 PM
NFA items (Full-Auto included) is legal here, although I believe there is a yearly fee for FA goodies (something on the order of ten or fifteen dollars).
And from what I've read, it is very doable to get the CLEO Signature to go the individual registration route- statewide- from the State Police.

Phil Lee
December 1, 2008, 06:15 PM
BTW -- the understanding of gun laws in Maryland is really lacking.

For example, the Brady bunch (and others) assert that Maryland doesn't license regulated firearm buyers. Well, they do. The license issued isn't in some hard copy, rather it is in electronic form. Maryland keeps a database of people licensed to buy regulated firearms and if you aren't on this list, you aren't approved to buy -- even if you've had a clean police record for 50 years.

They have cleverly disguised this licensing scheme as a safety training program. When passed in 2000, the program called for a two hour training class by the state police. Now training is obtained by paging through a web based system.

You need your license before buying a regulated firearm (and you need to pass the background check).

BoilerUP
December 1, 2008, 06:23 PM
I used to live in Frederick and had a couple pistols - never had a problem. The public outdoor range over by the Frederick airport was very nice and reasonably priced, but unfortunately only open for a few hours on weekends and was therefore very crowded.

AHHHHHHHHHHHH the freedom of being back in the midwest!

RON in PA
December 3, 2008, 06:32 AM
Consider Pennsylvania.

md2lgyk
December 3, 2008, 12:28 PM
Or West Virginia, or Virginia, or just about anywhere besides Maryland! I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the Handgun Roster Board (if it still exists). THEY decide what handguns you can buy. One of my primary carry pieces can't be purchased in Maryland.

tang22
December 3, 2008, 08:43 PM
"... so Marlyand may be more realistic. My parents are in Montgomery County, but that's expensive and too developed for me. I like the rolling hills and rural areas west of DC and Baltimore, so ideally somewhere out there..."

If you aren't tied to Maryland, check out Virginia. You can be 15-20 minutes away from Montgomery County and be in VA. Easy to get a CCW, open carry, a lot less firearms restrictions. West Virginia is also very close as well, good firearms laws there too. People who live in MD may have gotten used to the laws, but once you've had a taste of freedom, I'm not sure how you could go back.

sernv99
December 5, 2008, 12:13 PM
look into living in VA. For class 3 purchases, I was told by a dealer that it is taking about 13 weeks to process the papework from ATF. For all other firearms, instant background check!!! And as many high cap mags you want.

If you work for LE or are a gov't employee who had to have any type of in depth background investigation done for your job, it may take a few hours or a day to process your background check.

tang22
December 5, 2008, 08:40 PM
"If you work for LE or are a gov't employee who had to have any type of in depth background investigation done for your job, it may take a few hours or a day to process your background check."

If you are talking about the instant background check for gun sales that isn't a universally true rule. Being govt or having security clearances with background investigations doesn't mean your check will routinely take any longer than anyone elses in VA. Most background checks are pretty instant (1-2 minutes) even if you have background checks, security clearances, LE, or govt.

INMY01TA
December 5, 2008, 09:28 PM
Virginia sucks for a whole bunch of other non gun related reasons.

kingpin008
December 5, 2008, 09:44 PM
Virginia sucks for a whole bunch of other non gun related reasons.

Do you mind elaborating on that, or was that all you wanted to say?

MIgunguy
December 5, 2008, 10:29 PM
Yeah, what's wrong with Virginia? It didn't seem worth mentioning earlier but I did spend several years at Virginia Tech; I know Virginia fairly well and would definately consider relocating there. Is it the overpopulation and Liberal bent of Northern Virginia, or something else? Something in "real" Virginia that I'm not aware of? I'd trade Michigan for Virginia anytime.

INMY01TA
December 5, 2008, 10:35 PM
Isn't 10mph over the speed limit considered reckless driving? Some people have had a day in jail for speeding with no prior driving record. Getting your car inspected every year must blow as well. The gun laws are attractive tho.

ZombieHunter
December 5, 2008, 10:53 PM
20mph is automatic arrest in VA

amprecon
December 5, 2008, 11:28 PM
If you move to Maryland, the first thing you need to do is plan your escape.
I was born in Takoma Park and raised on the Eastern Shore, I was a Maryland taxpaying resident from 1985 to 2002, my vote didn't matter there. So I moved to a state that reflected my beliefs which was Montana, but I couldn't earn a decent living there.
Maryland does not care about the 2nd Amendment to our Consitution and is only limited in it's anti-gun agenda by probably the NRA lobbyists.
I truly believe this country needs to be redistricted with libs on one side and conservatives on the other, I know which side I'd move to.

kingpin008
December 5, 2008, 11:34 PM
If you move to Maryland, the first thing you need to do is plan your escape.

:rolleyes:

WardenWolf
December 6, 2008, 01:00 AM
You don't understand! If you die in Maryland, you die in REAL LIFE! :evil:

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Norton
December 6, 2008, 05:22 AM
Maryland does not care about the 2nd Amendment to our Consitution and is only limited in it's anti-gun agenda by probably the NRA lobbyists.

Huh....that's funny, I was under the impression that it was the individual citizens and firearms owners of Maryland as well as grassroots organizations like MSI and the MDShooters forum who were doing that, given that in the 20 or so times I've spoken at the general assembly I've never seen any representative of the NRA present.

Norton
December 6, 2008, 05:31 AM
Folks....you should be >encouraging< people that are firearms owners and those that care about their Constitutional rights to move to Maryland. This state is the front lines of the anti-gun legislation that is coming to your doorstep if it is successfully passed here.

What we stop here, probably won't show up in your legislature and, if it does show up where you are, it's likely to fail if it has not been successful here.

sernv99
December 6, 2008, 09:16 AM
if you have a security clearance or some sort of in depth background investigation done for your job (e.g. judge, LE), most likely it WILL delay you for at least an hour or so, maybe longer. That's what two different FFL dealers said to me. And i am witness to it with my own gun purchasing, having bought over 10 guns so far since April and being delayed from an hour and a half/2 hous to 3 days.

for VA, northern VA sucks. They make you pay a "property" tax on your car within the counties of Loudon, Fairfax, Arlington, Prince William,and city of Alexandria. First time I came down to vA, I paid $285 the first year, now $230 the second year.

move to Stafford county if you can. That is the "up and coming" newest DC suburb that is bein rapidly developed.

yokel
December 6, 2008, 10:56 AM
I was born in Takoma Park and raised on the Eastern Shore, I was a Maryland taxpaying resident from 1985 to 2002, my vote didn't matter there.

Indeed, Maryland is a de facto single-party state. This means that only one political party controls government and holds effective power to the point where there is no effective opposition.

There are openly-democratic competitive elections and a few token members of an opposition party are tolerated.

tang22
December 6, 2008, 10:58 PM
"if you have a security clearance or some sort of in depth background investigation done for your job (e.g. judge, LE), most likely it WILL delay you for at least an hour or so, maybe longer. That's what two different FFL dealers said to me. And i am witness to it with my own gun purchasing, having bought over 10 guns so far since April and being delayed from an hour and a half/2 hous to 3 days.."

I (and a good majority of the people I associate with in Virginia) either are govt workers, have security clearances, or are law enforcement. None of them have delays on their background checks regularly. I have heard the same "gun store rumors", but they just aren't true for me or the people I know. Maybe you are getting delayed for some other reason. If you have a common name or share a name with a person who can't buy a weapon that can cause delays.
I am not saying that there isn't some situation where one of the things you have listed could not cause a delay, but it will 100% surely NOT get you a delay every time. I have had one delay in the past 3 years, and bought a heck of a lot of guns.
Anything that is "common knowledge" at gun stores...watch out!:)

If you enjoyed reading about "if I move to Maryland, then what?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!