10/22 question for appleseed shoot

PDA

DeftwillP
November 30, 2008, 09:18 PM
So I'm pretty excited to be going to my first AS this weekend with my father. My 10/22 has been modified with a trigger kit/bolt stop/ and extended mag release. I know that's not a problem, but I do have a peep rear with a firesight front. Can I use this for appleseed? I know their focus is on steel sights.

If you enjoyed reading about "10/22 question for appleseed shoot" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Kymasabe
November 30, 2008, 10:58 PM
Appleseed doesn't care what sight you have on your gun, they're just happy you're there, carrying on an American tradition and learning to become a better marksman. When I took mine, there were guys there with optics, scopes, peep sights, blade sights, you name it, it was there.
My Appleseed instructor tended to favor peep sights like the ones used on Garands and AR-15's but the lessons learned can be applied to whatever you're shooting. You're 10/22 is perfect for the shoot. I used my AK on day one and came close to achieving Rifleman score but couldn't quite get there. Day two I switched to my 10/22 and got my Rifleman patch after the first course of fire. Your rifle is perfect just the way it is. Make sure it's sighted in and your familiar with it parts and operation. Bring at least 200-250 rounds per day. A 500-round brick of your guns favorite ammo is a worthwhile investment. Don't waste your money on a brick of $15 Remington, spend $30 or $40 (or $50) on a good brick of Wolf or SK match ammo, Aquila standard velocity match or whatever your gun shoots best.

Suggestions: Bring extra mags. One mag won't cut it, you'll need at least two, I'd recommend four. Bring a mat to lay on. If you don't have one, you can buy one yard of carpetting at Lowes or Home Depot for around $3 or $4 per yard and it'll be around 6 feet long.
Bring knee pads and elbow pads. Sounds goofy but trust me...you'll need them. I had bloody elbows at the end of day one without them.
Go in rested and fed, stay hydrated, pay attention, and have fun.
You'll learn alot.

paintballdude902
December 1, 2008, 02:37 AM
your all set

bring mags ammo elbow pads a shooting matt ear protection cleaning gear water

a big plus is to get some 1 1/4" sling mounts and a green military surplus slug they work great

moosehunt
December 2, 2008, 12:59 AM
Interesting. What's an "appleseed shoot"? I'm pretty young & niave--only born in '47. Must be an eastern thing, but none-the-less, sounds very interesting and perhaps fun. Care to tell about it?

funfaler
December 2, 2008, 05:00 AM
Here is their web site http://www.appleseedinfo.org

Here is some press coverage of them http://www.appleseedinfo.org/news.htm

Here is a good site that explains how to be better prepared for one. http://appleseedshoot.blogspot.com/

I'll let others tell you about their experience at an Appleseed Shoot.

With nearly 300 Appelseed Shoots planned for 2009, I would bet there is one near you. Keep on eye on the schedule, as the locations and dates are being added nearly every day.

paintballdude902
December 2, 2008, 03:18 PM
stretch!!!!!!

on the first day i was getting cramps from some possitions and the second day i was just plain sore

If you enjoyed reading about "10/22 question for appleseed shoot" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!