Marbles peep sights

PDA

SSN Vet
November 30, 2008, 11:48 PM
Any body out there ever used the tang mounted Marbles?

I've never seen the Marble's in action. Midway has it on sale for $99

Does the Marbles fold out of the way to allow use of the "buck horn" irons?

If so, setting up the Marbles with a .040 apeture for the long shots sound like a great set up.

I had a William's 5D on my 336. Was the first time I ever used an "peep" sight. Liked it a lot, but wanted to make elevation adjustments for lobbing them in there at 200 yds. Sold it off and mounted a scope for load developement. Always planned on going back to 'peeps' ....likely a Fool Proof... when I had my loads dialed in (scope is destined for another rifle with longer legs).

Now I'm looking at this Marbles and thinking...

Think, think, think !!! Gotta figure out the think system.

Any well reasoned opinions out there?

Thanks in advance.

If you enjoyed reading about "Marbles peep sights" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Brian Williams
December 1, 2008, 12:01 AM
I have a Marlin 1894C with a Marbles Tang sight and it is great. I have taken the barrel sight off and it looks great as is.
http://thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=5759&d=1062432911

SSN Vet
December 1, 2008, 12:18 AM
Brian,

That's a beaty! very pretty furniture.

Does your Marbles fold down?

Do you use the .090" apeture? or a smaller one?

Did you have to drill/tap the tang to mount the Marbles?

Have you ever used a Williams Fool Proof? If so, how do the two compare?

Thanks...

huntershooter
December 1, 2008, 12:44 AM
The Marbles does fold back.

I use the provided aperture for "target" shooting/dight in. I remove the aperture entirely for hunting.

owlhoot
December 1, 2008, 04:26 AM
I have Marbles tang sights on three of my lever actions and a Lyman tang on one.

As noted by Huntershooter the trick is to remove the aperture which transforms the tang sight into a ghost ring sight when shooting at near or moving targets. Then the aperture of choice may be used for more distant or more precise shooting.

Your barrel mounted buckhorn sight will interfere with your sight picture. You will want to remove it. You'll also do well to get rid of the front sight protector.

Depending on the rifle, the tang sight may be installed using existing screw holes, requiring only longer tang screws. However, with the Marlins that I have, it is necessary to drill and tap an additional hole in the tang. This is no big deal. Any smith or machine shop will do the job for just a few bucks. Or you can do it yourself if you have a good drill press.

I have used the Williams Fool Proof sights and I like them. However, I prefer the tang sights because, in ghost ring form, they provide a superior field of view. On the other hand, the Williams sights are stronger and less vulnerable to damage or being knocked out of alignment.

moosehunt
December 2, 2008, 01:52 AM
First off, understand that it is not a "peep sight", it is a tang sight. Big difference. It can be very accurate. Though not the way it was designed to use, if you leave the v-notch (not a buckhorn, unless you've alredy made changes) in place, thus using a 3-sight alignment, you will soon be enamored with it's accuracy. It will litterly suck your eye into alignment on target.

owlhoot
December 2, 2008, 05:22 AM
Moosehunt, I have a folding leaf sight on one rifle mounted with a tang sight. While it is possible to use both sights simultaneously, I don't find any advantage at all in doing so, and it's a distraction for fast shooting. The tang sight is much nearer to the eye than a peep, so I find it faster to get on target, but the tang functions just the same as a peep, especially if one of the apertures is used.

If you enjoyed reading about "Marbles peep sights" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!