AR-15 are cannibals?

PDA

hadmanysons
December 1, 2008, 12:20 AM
I didn't realize that most companies bought parts from a lot of places to make their version of the ar-15. Where does one go to find out what parts from what company were used to make their ar-15. I have a M&P15A, but I guess parts are from CMT? Right?:confused:

If you enjoyed reading about "AR-15 are cannibals?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Kind of Blued
December 1, 2008, 12:29 AM
It's a big incestual ordeal from what I understand. Supposedly there are 3-4 companies that produce 90% of all lower receivers or something like that. I've heard that even some of the big name companies do "group buys" on lowers, much like some of us do online, but they order thousands upon thousands at a time.

hadmanysons
December 1, 2008, 01:13 AM
how do you know what parts were used in what guns, obviously besides what stamped on the part.

P.S. Kind of Blued - That signature, hilarious!!!

ugaarguy
December 1, 2008, 01:22 AM
I have a M&P15A, but I guess parts are from CMT? Right?
Is the barrel marked 5.56 Nato or 5.56 NATO?

hadmanysons
December 1, 2008, 01:27 AM
I'll have to get back to you in the morning ugaarguy. The gun's under my wifes side of the bed and she'd be pissed if I woke her up while looking at the barrel of a gun:) However, if my memory serves me, NATO. Whats the difference?

ugaarguy
December 1, 2008, 01:32 AM
Barrels marked Nato were sourced from an outside supplier while CMT was building the early M&Ps. Barrels marked NATO are made by T/C Arms (which S&W owns), and were used as soon as S&W brought production in house. The bolt carrier group and plastic furniture are the only parts S&W doesn't currently make in house. They are tooling up to make their own BCGs though.

hadmanysons
December 1, 2008, 01:54 AM
Who makes the BCG then? CMT?

ugaarguy
December 1, 2008, 03:37 AM
Who makes the BCG then? CMT?
I'm trying on find that out, but S&W will probably be making them in house before I do.

RyanM
December 1, 2008, 03:55 AM
Their BCGs are made by LMT, not CMT, currently. Which is good, LMT BCGs are much better quality.

If you enjoyed reading about "AR-15 are cannibals?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!