Field dressing a buck? Looking for a vid?

PDA

sbarkowski
December 1, 2008, 02:44 PM
Wondering if anyone has a link to a good video on how to field dress a buck. I know your supposed to take the glands out on the back of the legs but Im a visual learner. You can tell me a thousand times but untill I see it im pretty much clueless. I havnt seen a good video yet of how to do a buck properly.

Any help guys?

If you enjoyed reading about "Field dressing a buck? Looking for a vid?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
actaylor
December 1, 2008, 03:53 PM
I know there are a couple of videos on You Tube if that helps any...

Ben Shepherd
December 1, 2008, 07:27 PM
You don't have to take the glands off. Just avoid touching them while skinning it. Then wash up very well before you start butchering it.

Also, if you know a hunter -ed instructor, he/she will have a video on it. It's required viewing in class.

bang_bang
December 1, 2008, 07:37 PM
"You don't have to take the glands off. Just avoid touching them while skinning it. Then wash up very well before you start butchering it."

I don't remove the glands all the way, or immediately after I shoot the deer. I will halfway remove them, just to keep my scraps minimal. I hang the deer up by it's tendons located where there glands are.

I also use 2 different knives. One for gutting and making my holes where the glands are, the other to skin and butcher the deer. I keep my sharp nicer knife for gutting and field work, the skinning knife is just a cheaper knife that I don't mind getting nicked on a bone while cutting the meat off.

If you enjoyed reading about "Field dressing a buck? Looking for a vid?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!