Guess at number who CC nationwide?

PDA

DMW
December 1, 2008, 02:16 PM
I saw in a thread today an estimate by the BATFE that 80 million Americans own guns. What percentage would you guess carry concealed?

My reason for asking is that I was at a gun shop (pre election) and saw a lot of people from all walks of life buying CCWs. One guy was an engineer, another was a university professor. The professor mentioned that he works nights in town (Boston). I told a friend that there are more people carrying guns than you'd think and many people that you'd never suspect.

If you enjoyed reading about "Guess at number who CC nationwide?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
moi_self26
December 1, 2008, 02:20 PM
If 80 million own, I'd GUESS that around 55-60 million carry. Although I definitely think there are more than 80 million owners.

DMW
December 1, 2008, 02:30 PM
Johnny Dollar,

Thanks, I spent some time trying to figure this out for my state (MA) on the web but didn't have any luck. I did find an old study done around 2000 that showed estimates of gun ownership by state based on a survey of about 200,000 people but it was just an overall estimate and didn't give CCW estimates.

paintballdude902
December 1, 2008, 02:31 PM
say the ownership is 80 mill

around 25 percent

id say some where around 15 mill-20mill

22-rimfire
December 1, 2008, 03:00 PM
Just remember, just because you may have a carry permit does not mean you actually carry. I got mine so I can keep a loaded gun in my vehicle primarily, but I do carry sometimes. It just depends.

mdao
December 1, 2008, 03:32 PM
Rates seem to run between 1-5% of total population for states with carry laws. A quick back of the envelope calculation says that (300 million (US Pop) - 60 million (CA + NY Pop)) * 3% = 7 million or so permit holders.

The number of people that actually carry on a daily basis though is much lower and I'd be very surprised if it's a fifth of that number.

cbrgator
December 1, 2008, 03:39 PM
I don't have a number, but I bet it is less than people think. Lots of people have guns, very few carry them.

mgregg85
December 1, 2008, 03:51 PM
Michigan's permits info for the last few years.
http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,1607,7-123-1591_3503_4654-77621--,00.html

2006-2007 = 23,790 issued
2005-2006 = 36,754 issued
2004-2005 = 54,677 issued
2003-2004 = 31,121 issued
2002-2003 = 27,499 issued
2001-2002 = 53,000 issued

So thats 226,841 permits issued over six years for Michigan. Assuming they all still have current permits(MI permits last a little over four years) thats a pretty good number. But its only about 2.25% of the total population.

RPCVYemen
December 1, 2008, 06:28 PM
The number of people that actually carry on a daily basis though is much lower and I'd be very surprised if it's a fifth of that number.

I have a number of friends who have CCWs in NC, and none of them carry on a daily basis. Most of them either got to carry, and then found that the laws on where you can/can't carry were too much of a restriction, or got a CCW to streamline pistol purchases.

Mike

ServiceSoon
December 1, 2008, 06:33 PM
Just because they have a permit doesn't mean they carry.

I read on the Indiana State Police website that 1 in 16 have a LTC in Indiana.

moooose102
December 1, 2008, 09:45 PM
this thread is depressing! every law abiding person over the age of 21 should carry! well, almost.

franconialocal
December 1, 2008, 10:16 PM
Our PD is processing about 2 per week (somewhat consistently).......for a town of only 1,100 residents that appears to be a pretty good number!! Say nothing of the fact that I live in northern NH!! Required renew after 4 years. Most of the people I've run DON'T CONCEALED CARRY.....they just want to "CYA", esp. if in a vehicle (In NH, just the fact that a weapon is IN a vehicle makes in concealed even if it's right up for plain view on the dash...thus needing a CCW permit). They just don't want to have to worry about seperating the mags from the sidearm from the ammo "as usual". I really am suprised how many permits I issue to people who just want it "to go to the range and back". To add.....the actual nomenclature of the permit is a "Pistol/Revolver Lic."....as a loaded long gun is illegal regardless.

Kor
December 1, 2008, 10:18 PM
IIRC in John Lott's More Guns, Less Crime he researched the numbers and found that, nowhere in the US, did legally-licensed CCW/CHL/LTC permitees amount to more than 5% of the eligible adult population. In most cases, substantially less - closer to 1-2% of eligible adults.

FYI, as of today, there are only 115,659 active Arizona CCW permits on the books, after over 14 years of legalized concealed carry in AZ. Figure that maybe 5% of those represent people whose actual residence-of-record is in a different state, but who spend a certain amount of time visiting AZ during the year for business, pleasure, or family matters. Also figure that, as mentioned earlier, maybe another 10-15% do not actually carry a gun regularly, but get the CCW to bypass the NICS check when buying guns from FFL dealers.

That's out of a total 6,166,318 Arizonans, according to the 2006 Census...less the 26.4% under 18(note that you must be 21 to CCW in AZ)...gives you 4,538,410 adults...less a prison population of around 35,000, and approximately 73,000 parolees(some of which are, admittedly, juveniles)...apply a little fudge factor...when all is said and done, AZ CCW permittees still only represent maybe 1/3 of 1% of approximately 3.5-3.6 million eligible adult Arizonans over 21. :(

And AZ is usually considered one of the top 10 most gun-friendly states in the country...:confused:

http://ccw.azdps.gov/Stats.htm
http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/pubalp2.htm#probation
http://www.justicecenter.csg.org/downloads/Arizona_1-pager_v4.pdf

Monkeyleg
December 2, 2008, 12:04 AM
The NRA estimates 7 million permit holders.

Some states have much higher rates than others. In Texas, for example, there's only about 250,000 permit holders in a state of 2.5 million, or 1%

IIRC, Indiana had the highest rate at 6%.

TAB
December 2, 2008, 12:12 AM
don't forget that all LEOs don't need a permit.. so add the total number of LEOs to that( I really dislike that law)

Fisherman_48768
December 2, 2008, 12:21 AM
Read somewhere that nationwide the average % of citizens carrying concealed legally is 2-4%. Therefore 96-98% of the population is being protected for free, best part is they don't even know it.

catfish101
December 2, 2008, 12:38 AM
I know allot of people with CDW and don't carry all the time. Actually carry little of the time. I can't during a normal day. I work a government agency and I am on prison grounds some and in the same area as prisoners often. Needless to say, I can't carry there.

I am like allot of guys. If I could carry 24/7 I would but I can't.

CU74
December 2, 2008, 12:47 AM
Just remember, just because you may have a carry permit does not mean you actually carry. I got mine so I can keep a loaded gun in my vehicle primarily, but I do carry sometimes. It just depends.

Excellent point. State CCW laws are all over the place. The CCW here in Kansas allows us to keep a loaded gun in our vehicles and that's a big reason for getting the CCW here.

Kansas is an open-carry state, but many of the larger towns/cities have passed ordinances against open-carry, (thank you GFWs:cuss:). In rural counties, which compromise most of Kansas, many firearms owner don't see the need to have a CCW.

I don't have any data, but I suspect the majority of the Kansas CCW permits are concentrated in about six or eight "urban/suburban" counties. Many of the shopping centers and businesses in the suburban counties have posted "no firearms" signs, so a CCW holder is pretty much frustrated there. A CCW is no panacea.......

rondog
December 2, 2008, 01:10 AM
I have one, a brother has one, a nephew has one, a co-worker called about getting one today, my boss is itching to get one, so the ranks are growing.......

FoMoGo
December 2, 2008, 01:18 AM
You also have people who open carry in states where it is legal...
Some of them CC when they need to, but not all.

Jim

Jorg Nysgerrig
December 2, 2008, 01:22 AM
If 80 million own, I'd GUESS that around 55-60 million carry

This is simply laughable. 75% of gun owners carry? Absurd. I would be surprised if even half of the 7 million permit holders carry regularly.

catfish101
December 2, 2008, 01:29 AM
I agree that the number is pretty low because, in large part, the restrictions.

I, personally, wouldn't mind open carry everywhere. Just like it used to be.

RPCVYemen
December 2, 2008, 12:32 PM
The NRA estimates 7 million permit holders.

If that's correct, I'd guess that will under 1 million actually carry more or less regularly - maybe under 1/4 of a million.

Mike

Lone_Gunman
December 2, 2008, 12:41 PM
I would estimate that of th 7 million CCW permit holders in the US, only about1% or less carry on a daily basis.

I know many people with a permit, but none carry on a daily basis. If you work for a living, it is basically impossible to carry in most professions.

So I would estimate that only about 70,000 people a day are carrying a weapon, at most.

marklbucla
December 2, 2008, 12:50 PM
Like most things, you get what you pay for. It seems like there are so many laws regarding CCWs in free America, a lot of permits are aren't going to be exercised.

My permit in the PRK was worth the $400 to start and I carried everytime I went out at night. My Alabama permit costs $20 and almost never gets used because I can't carry in restaurants.

Sam Adams
December 2, 2008, 12:54 PM
Texas is at 289K as of 12/31/07, with approx. 73K permits issued in '08.

Folks, those numbers reflect those who can carry legally. Plus, people can carry in their glove box without a license if traveling.

Those who carry without any license or other permission are simply not listed. We cannot know how many of those people exist, but I daresay it is in the millions.

texaspunk
December 2, 2008, 01:03 PM
If Texas CHL's are roughly 1% of the State population, only half of those folks carry daily...and that's at all representative of the other States in the union...??? That's way less than I'd like, especially considering I once saw a stat that estimated 2% of the population could be considered dangerous sociopaths.

CoRoMo
December 2, 2008, 01:43 PM
I'm sort of pessimistically estimating here. I'd say very few actually carry at all. Here's why... (my personal stats)

I added up the number of people that I can think of, that I personally know that own firearms. Of those on that list, 13% have permits to carry. Of those who have permits, only 25% actually carry. That would calculate out of 80 million owners, only 2.6 million people carry.:what::what::what: 3.25%!!

Margin of error = People I know that own guns that I'm unaware of, and those who have a CCP but I don't know, etc. blah blah blah. This ain't scientific!

GEM
December 2, 2008, 05:36 PM
A CHL instructor I know in TX who was a member of the CHL instructor organization said that an informal survey indicated that 80% of the folks who got permits just did it to carry the gun in the car without hassles and didn't carry the gun on them most of the time.

The new TX law then might cut down the number of permits - we will have to see.

Personally, I find those who just want to carry in the car to be foolish. One of the main reasons for the TX CHL bill passing was Dr. Gratia-Hupp's argument that she couldn't stop the Luby's Kileen rampage as her gun was in the car.

How many incidents occur in the car?

TAB
December 2, 2008, 08:26 PM
lets also not forget there is only a small fraction of those that do carry that have anytype of real training.

If you enjoyed reading about "Guess at number who CC nationwide?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!