9mm stuck in crimp die

PDA

fireman
December 2, 2008, 01:23 AM
I have a 9mm stuck in the crimp die on my dillon.
Stuck so bad in fact that when I tried to extract it it pulled the rim off.
I now have a 115 grain Gold Dot in a cartrage sticking about a half inch out of the die.
Any body else ever have this happen? What should I do?
fireman

If you enjoyed reading about "9mm stuck in crimp die" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sheldon
December 2, 2008, 02:50 AM
I have has AMERC cases in 45 ACP almost do that to me. The cases were apparently really thick towards the base and would be too fat to fit all the way into the crimp die. My guess it's something to do with the dimensions of the case.

armoredman
December 2, 2008, 05:10 AM
Dillon will take care of that for you. Contact them, good people.

jjohnson
December 2, 2008, 09:01 AM
You may want to spend a few bucks on a Stuck Case Removal Kit. RCBS makes them, as do maybe some of the other die manufacturers. The price is less than a die set, and you will find them sold in the same section as dies. It is well worth the money - makes a 5-minute job of the task and will work with all calibers:banghead:. It has a screw and tap so you can crank the case right out.

I get one stuck now and then, and it's well worth not having to curse:cuss: over it.

Drail
December 2, 2008, 10:02 AM
9mm cases have a slight taper to them. Go a little lighter on that crimp.

Walkalong
December 2, 2008, 10:27 AM
Now that is some serious crimp. :D

Sheldon
December 2, 2008, 10:37 AM
You should be able to unscrew the seater plug and with it out you have a straight shot at using a punch or screwdriver to knock the round out of the die.

ReloaderFred
December 2, 2008, 12:08 PM
Since this is a loaded round, the stuck case remover won't work. You simply can't drill out a live primer with powder in front of it! Really bad idea.......

Call Dillon customer service and see what they recommend. I know I could get it out, but it wouldn't be pretty.......

Hope this helps.

Fred

rcmodel
December 2, 2008, 01:15 PM
How about screwing the seater stem in all the way with a wrench and pushing it out?

rcmodel

ilbob
December 2, 2008, 01:25 PM
I second the idea of asking dillon.

when the rim came off did it take the bottom and the primer with it, or did it just take mangle the rim itself?

I have heard of people getting stuck cases out by putting it in the freezer.

Chief-7700
December 2, 2008, 06:24 PM
If your Dillon dies are like mine, pull the cotter pin on top or the crimp die and the insert with the stuck round in will fall into your hand. Now you can take your time in removing the stuck round.
Chief

Iron Sight
December 2, 2008, 07:07 PM
Be Careful!

If you enjoyed reading about "9mm stuck in crimp die" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!