.260 Remington ?

PDA

Shawnee
December 2, 2008, 04:57 AM
The Hornady manual comments about seating the bullets deeply for this cartridge in order to avoid the bullet touching the lands thus possibly raising pressures too high.

Am wondering if anyone has run into OAL problems, especially with the assorted 129-grainers. ?????

Do they need to be seated extraordinarily deep???

Thanks !
:cool:

If you enjoyed reading about ".260 Remington ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Will Fennell
December 2, 2008, 10:04 AM
Probably has more to do with length of the mag well. I'm shooting 130 Accubonds in my SAKO 85 greywolf, and I run into mag length issue just before I run into throat length issues. I think the manuals are probably referring to the various extra long match bullets, or the really long 160 gr bullets.

BTW, the ACCUBONDS out shot everything in that weight range[ that I tried, which included 129 grain Hornady's], except the 123 gr. Lapua Scenar, in my 2 .260's.

USSR
December 2, 2008, 12:50 PM
Shawnee,

It's the rare .308-based short action where the distance to throat is shorter than the mag length. Load them to a length to fit your magazine and you will be off the lands.

Don

rcmodel
December 2, 2008, 01:12 PM
I think the only one I'd be worried about would be the exceptionally long 160 grain Round Nose. It's a long ways out there before the bullet diameter drops off to less then bore contact size.

Still, I agree if it will fit in the 700 magazine, you should be fine.

I believe Hornady's warning takes into consideration custom long-action rifles as well as the Rem 700 tested.

rcmodel

Afy
December 2, 2008, 01:38 PM
Alternatively find out where your lands are, and load to an OAL lower than that. Especally if you're not interested in the magazine and are using bullets like the Scenar, or Berger VLD's. I use the MatchKings and Scenar's exlcusively and load out to an OAL higher than the 2.80 that the manuals state.

Ridgerunner665
December 2, 2008, 01:50 PM
Remington 700's have REALLY long throats...if your rifle is a Remington any bullet loaded to mag length will be fine.

But in the interest of safety...you could always load a "dummy round" and measure the throat.

USSR
December 2, 2008, 03:31 PM
Remington 700's have REALLY long throats...

Ah, Ridgerunner665, you're being kind. Model 700's have INCREDIBLY long throats.:D

Don

NCsmitty
December 2, 2008, 07:10 PM
There is a wide variation in bullet ogive between brands and models of bullets, and you really need to check each one for optimum COL.
I had 3 different bullets in 6.5 that I checked. They were 140gr Remington Core-lokts, 140gr Hornady PSP and 139gr Prvi Partizan. With new 6.5x55 Lapua cases minor sized, the Remingtons touched the lands at a consistent 3.240 OAL.
The Hornady's touched at 3.190 and the Prvi Partizan touched at 2.960
Quite a difference between like weights.
I ended up setting the Remington's @3.200 in my trial loads. The Hornady's @3.170 and the Prvi @2.940, which is not a problem in my long action VZ-24.

I thought I would illustrate the point that you do need to check each bullet choice to take full advantage of the best COL your rifle is capable of using.

NCsmitty

BoilerUP
December 3, 2008, 11:05 AM
41.5gr H380 and a 120gr Nosler Ballistic Tip with a case OAL of 2.80 seems to replicate the Remington factory load extremely well in my 700 Mtn LSS...except with ever-so-slightly less recoil. And better accuracy. And SUBSTANTIALLY less cost.

Didn't get a chance to test the load on deer this season, but my brother (of course) was in the woods 2 hours with it and garnered a high neck shot bang-flop with VERY minimal meat damage at a range of less than 20yds.

Sorry, other than that I have nothing to contribute to the thread :D

If you enjoyed reading about ".260 Remington ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!