Stop the Pain?

PDA

wanderinwalker
December 2, 2008, 04:46 PM
Okay, quick question. I have a T/C Encore ProHunter in .45-70. While it is a nice little rifle, short and handy in the brush, it has one annoying attribute. At the range it draws blood from my trigger finger! The soft flesh between the first and second knuckles gets gouged every time. Today was the first time in a while I actually drew blood, which ended up all over the reciever. Ugh!

Any ideas on how to stop this? Right now I am thinking electrical tape and foam on the corner of the reciever, which seems to be the contact point. Or maybe it is technique. It's a 6 pound rifle throwing 405gr lead slugs at ~1500 fps, or 300gr SJHPs at 1900 fps.

Also, the rifle slips from my shoulder from time to time, like I'm just having trouble hanging on. Ooops, maybe I just answered my own question. I was considering scoping this rifle for next deer season (let a 6-point buck walk because I couldn't see a clear lane), but not if I can't figure out how to tame it.

Thanks all for any suggestions.

If you enjoyed reading about "Stop the Pain?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
December 2, 2008, 04:59 PM
Shooting gloves for the range, hunting gloves for hunting?

Limb-Saver recoil pad?
Limb-Saver shoulder pad?

Maga-Port the barrel?

But there is no getting around the fact that a 6 pound 45-70 is gonna whack you pretty good!

rcmodel

wanderinwalker
December 2, 2008, 07:07 PM
Well, the rifle wears T/C's "Flex-Tech" stock, which is supposed to help moderate recoil. I'm sure it does some; actually, I think the recoil pad is a SIMS product.

My next step will probably be to reduce the throttle on the loads, at least for practice.

Guns and more
December 2, 2008, 07:50 PM
What is drawing blood?

If you enjoyed reading about "Stop the Pain?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!