how to buy a gun at a gunshow (person to person)

PDA

Rossshady120
December 2, 2008, 06:11 PM
my gun store told me that if i went to the gun show i would be able to get my ak-74 the same day but all i kept hearing is there going to have to send the gun to a dealer and i'll have to pick it up from them. Whats the damn point in a gun show if you can't walk out with the gun? All i can say is last gun show i ever go to. you think they would show some mercy with obama and with the state of the nation but they rather just steal your money and rip you off. A fair price is one thing and making a profit to feed your family is another but this was just sickening. I guess you have to find someone who isn't a dealer with a FFL someone who is a pvt. collector but i only saw 3 slr-106f there period so..... and when i would ask a dealer you got any arsenal's he said we got saga's i said yeah but that don't fold and spit .223

If you enjoyed reading about "how to buy a gun at a gunshow (person to person)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
calaverasslim
December 2, 2008, 06:20 PM
If the gun show is in your state of residence then you can buy it and take it home the same day. Providing, of course, that your state allows this without a waiting period. You buy the rifle from a dealer, you need to fill out the ATF for 4473, give him your driver license and he calls in to get your ok to buy the rifle. If the seller is not a FFL dealer, then you don't have to fill out the 4473.

If the fun show is not in your state of residence, then you follow the same rigamarole and then walk out the door with your gun. Unless the state does not allow this.

The only time you have to ship to a FFL is when it is a handgun and you do not live in the state of purchase.

Rossshady120
December 2, 2008, 06:42 PM
the gunshow was in my state and i believe most of the dealers there were from all over FL. i would ask a dealer why couldn't i get it person to person and he said back to me in a mean way "I'm a Federal Dealer dont ask me that". Funny because when i walked up it looked like he was selling a .38 under the table because he told the guy who was buying it "yeah they don't really keep tabs on everything but they think they do and told the guy come back with 100 more bucks and i'll hold the pistol and your DL. bottom line is if you didn't have a CCW you weren't walking out with ****. **** the gunshow i get better deals at my shop and if i got a problem i can always take it back.

JohnKSa
December 2, 2008, 06:48 PM
... i would ask a dealer why couldn't i get it person to person ...You're lucky he didn't call the cops.

You can not buy a gun "person to person" from a dealer unless it's a gun he owns personally. It can NOT be one that is on his books as belonging to his business. Asking a dealer to sell you a gun without the 4473 is asking him to break federal law.

You can buy a gun "person to person" from a NON dealer.

crushbup
December 2, 2008, 06:53 PM
Saigas "can fold and spit .223" with about 2 hours worth of work and ~$200 in parts for a really bare minimum job. Even with that it would be higher quality and cheaper than an Arsenal.

deadin
December 2, 2008, 06:54 PM
You can buy a gun "person to person" from a NON dealer.

As long as you both are residents of the same State and there are no State laws against it.

JohnKSa
December 2, 2008, 06:54 PM
Correct.

Frog48
December 2, 2008, 06:58 PM
Is this guy serious?

Between saying things like "fold and spit .223", asking a dealer to sell "under the table", and thinking that dealers should break the law to "show some mercy" because of the election... it makes you wonder.

Rossshady120
December 2, 2008, 07:27 PM
higher quality and cheaper than an Arsenal. is that a joke? Last time i checked saga's don't come with chrome lined barrels. and also the parts kit you would get would be from Arsenal so your saying if i had a saga gun with a arsenal folding stock kit it would be better then the slr-106f? one more question what the hell are you smoking.....

Rossshady120
December 2, 2008, 07:33 PM
, asking a dealer to sell "under the table", and thinking that dealers should break the law to "show some mercy" because of the election... it makes you wonder. and i'm going to reframe from making a mess of you but if you read it i said when i walked up the dealer was doing what looked like a under the table sale to someone else and when i asked him about person to person he said "I'm a Federal dealer don't ask me that" And whats the ****ing point in going to a gun show if i'm not going to get a deal? What your really telling me you go to gun shows to look at the guns i can do that at my store all day. I went in there with the mind set knowing what i want and having cash i saw ripoff after ripoff makes me sick ammo thats 8 bucks at wal-mart was 13-14 and the slr-106 prices were sick.

good day grant 48

MT GUNNY
December 2, 2008, 07:38 PM
Some times Gun Show Dealers Have No access to a Phone to do Back grounds . So they have to send it to your local dealer, so they can do Nics check. That is also why If you had CCP you could walk out with it, cuz the CCP has Nicks # on it.

Geno
December 2, 2008, 07:40 PM
Rossshady120 said:

and i'm going to reframe from making a mess of you...

:scrutiny:

'nough said...

Doc2005

Rossshady120
December 2, 2008, 08:26 PM
bump

Treo
December 2, 2008, 08:36 PM
Hey ross I'd be perfectly ok W/ letting you have the gun same day....If it was airsoft :D

Other than that, I still don't think you should be in the same building as a firearm W/out compatent adult supervision

divemedic
December 2, 2008, 08:48 PM
Some times Gun Show Dealers Have No access to a Phone to do Back grounds . So they have to send it to your local dealer, so they can do Nics check. That is also why If you had CCP you could walk out with it, cuz the CCP has Nicks # on it.

In florida, CCW does not excuse you from the NICS check.

In Florida there is no waiting period for long guns, and CCW holders are exempt form the handgun waiting periods. However, there is one exception. In Florida, counties can enact a three day wait on all firearms sold at gunshows held on public property. CCW holders are exempt. AFAIK, Dade county is the only county that has chosen to enact the local option waiting period, but there may be others.

Edited to add:

If you know what you are looking for, you can get some deals at a show, but you are not going to get any deals right now. Gun sales are so through the roof that there are few guns to be had, unless you are looking for something not popular.

Loomis
December 2, 2008, 08:57 PM
I'm pretty sure in iowa, carry permits, cop IDs, and military IDs exempt you from a NICS check.

akodo
December 2, 2008, 09:04 PM
Where exactly in Florida was this? I have heard Miami-Dade has a 7 day waiting period or something like that.

You can never have a Face-to-Face with a dealer, that is a law pertaining to non-FFLs (or in rare cases, a FFL's personal guns, not his buisiness guns) I don't know why he said to the other guy what he did...maybe he was going to call the cops on the guy as soon as you left.

I think you are really off base thinking that a person should "show some mercy" and risk their entire business and possible serious jail time to sell you a gun illegally. I don't really think that is worth $100, especially not for an AK which is probably going to be sold at a nice profit.

And whats the ****ing point in going to a gun show if i'm not going to get a deal? What your really telling me you go to gun shows to look at the guns i can do that at my store all day

If you don't like the prices offered, don't buy. There is no law or contract that says at a gunshow the dealer must sell his guns at a loss just because you deserve a deal.

Gun shows are a way to look for unique items, chat, talk guns, and look at the wares of gunstores in all corners of the state. If you want to think about savings think about how much gas you saved vs visiting all those individual shops.

Anyone going to gunshows today expecting to see deals is not connected with the reality of firearms these past 10 years.

Art Eatman
December 2, 2008, 10:02 PM
This is one of those Arrrggghhhh! threads. Tenuous grip on reality. ignorance of the law--and the regulations are stickied at the top of this page.

Enuf.

If you enjoyed reading about "how to buy a gun at a gunshow (person to person)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!