Deer Kicks Hunters A$$ After 2 Well Placed 270's

PDA

KBintheSLC
December 2, 2008, 07:48 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/12/02/deer-gets-revenge-after-h_n_147839.html

SEDALIA, Mo. — A hunter bagged a big buck on the second day of firearms season, but the kill caused him a lot of pain. Randy Goodman, 49, said he thought two well-placed shots with his .270-caliber rifle had killed the buck on Nov. 19. Goodman said the deer looked dead to him, but seconds later the nine-point, 240-pound animal came to life.

The buck rose up, knocked Goodman down and attacked him with his antlers in what the veteran hunter called "15 seconds of hell." The deer ran a short distance and went down, and died after Goodman fired two more shots.

Soon Goodman started feeling dizzy and noticed his vest was soaked in blood.

So he reached his truck and drove to a hospital, where he received seven staples in his scalp and was treated for a slight concussion and bruises.

If you enjoyed reading about "Deer Kicks Hunters A$$ After 2 Well Placed 270's" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Wonder9
December 2, 2008, 07:58 PM
Apparently, they weren't well placed.

cdiaz6000
December 2, 2008, 07:58 PM
damn... that sucks.

Deer Hunter
December 2, 2008, 08:02 PM

My thoughts exactly.

I've heard many stories involving deer that faint, then wake up later when the hunter tries to mess around with it.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
December 2, 2008, 08:09 PM
Ouch! Least he's ok really. The one deer I killed this year, on the 23rd Nov, was a pretty nice buck. Like a dumbbutt, I went right up to it and grabbed it's horns and it started squirming and tried to get up. Had to deliver 2 more quick shots to the neck. Note to self: Be more careful next time.

Geno
December 2, 2008, 08:11 PM
I nearly got run-down by a buck this season. It was frightening. I posted the event in the hunting section.

Doc2005

RyanM
December 2, 2008, 08:15 PM
A deer hit my dad's car quite awhile back. Yes, you're always supposed to tell the insurance company that the deer hit you, but this one really did. Charged his driver's side door while he was going about 25, and, put a 4" deep dent in it with her (no antler marks on anything, so I assume it was a doe) head! Then ran off, unharmed.

Animals are a lot tougher than people.

The Deer Hunter
December 2, 2008, 08:28 PM

I have to say, they must have been very poorly placed shots. Getting shot pretty much anywhere with a high powered rifle usually means death.

gvnwst
December 2, 2008, 08:45 PM
Ooo.... ouch. This is almost funny though. I think this guy needs marksminshop training.

Matrix187
December 2, 2008, 09:06 PM
Whenever I shoot a buck with my rifle I always walk up to the deer cautiously with my glock loaded, and shoot it once in the neck area.

Korbin
December 2, 2008, 09:09 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4STTYu-wkU

jerkface11
December 2, 2008, 09:10 PM
You're supposed to wait half an hour after you shoot it before you approach it. That way they have time to bleed out.

jpwilly
December 2, 2008, 09:31 PM
Did any of you read the comments? Ha ha. You just knew the anti hunting, anti gun, & vegetarians would show up and blather on. Some of these senseless idiots even wished it had been the hunters last day.

hiker44
December 2, 2008, 10:42 PM
Watched a TV hunting show with this dude from the US hunting in Africa. He shot a warthog and the guide wanted to go get it right then. The hunter dude -- decked out in full camo and a 5 inch brim black cowboy hat -- told them it was best to wait until morning. Morning comes and they go out to the spot and all that is left of the warthog was bones. I guess he forgot there's big animals that eat other animals in Africa. So much for the "wait half an hour" stuff -- at least in Africa. LOL

KINGMAX
December 2, 2008, 10:47 PM
That is why I approach any downed deer w/ my S&W 686-1 in .357 aimed at the back of the skull and neck.

High Planes Drifter
December 2, 2008, 10:54 PM
.30-06 FTW !!!

(throws the stinkbomb and scuttles off):neener:

hankdatank1362
December 2, 2008, 11:47 PM
Hey Shawnee, where's your mighty .270 now?!?!?!?!

Ahhh, I'm just kidding. This goofball hunter probably gutshot the deer with thte first round, and missed entirely with the second.

Still 2 Many Choices!?
December 3, 2008, 12:00 AM
"A hunter bagged a big buck on the second day of FIREARMS SEASON" ***!!??
A guy over in general pointed this out. See hunters, they want YOUR guns too! LOL.

Still 2 Many Choices!?

longdayjake
December 3, 2008, 12:11 AM
Hey Shawnee, where's your mighty .270 now?!?!?!?!

I was thinking the same thing. In his defense Shawnee likes other guns too. But don't ask him about the .25-06.

paintballdude902
December 3, 2008, 12:34 AM
2 threads already in the hunting section

jerry46
December 3, 2008, 12:56 AM
There was a story going around when I was growing up in Pennsylvania about a guy that shot a nice buck. As he walked up to the buck, he decided that the antlers would make a nice rifle rack. So, he straightened the head, layed his rifle across it, and then stepped back a short distance to see how it looked. You guessed it. The buck jumped up and ran off with his rifle.

MD_Willington
December 3, 2008, 12:59 AM
A guy I know shot a deer with a .243... man did he run afterwards... the guy.. not the deer. LOL

The buck chased him all the way to his car out on a logging road and decided to use his car door as a target.

monkyboy1975
December 3, 2008, 02:15 AM
There was a story going around when I was growing up in Pennsylvania about a guy that shot a nice buck. As he walked up to the buck, he decided that the antlers would make a nice rifle rack. So, he straightened the head, layed his rifle across it, and then stepped back a short distance to see how it looked. You guessed it. The buck jumped up and ran off with his rifle.

Thats a classic. I remember hearing the same story growing up.

Kind of Blued
December 3, 2008, 04:43 AM
Having grown up near Sedalia, that's friggin' hilarious. :D

Navy_Guns
December 3, 2008, 09:20 AM
Obviously not a .270 :neener:

newdude
December 3, 2008, 10:05 AM
May i suggest 700 Nitro?:D:p

nathan
December 3, 2008, 10:23 AM
Revenge of the deer.

BornAgainBullseye
December 3, 2008, 01:32 PM
I herd of another story of this sort of a deer shot with a .270 at close range. 40 yards to be exact. The guy said he saw the impact behind the shoulder and found pieces of pink on the ground. He found the deer laying down and it "woke up" it didnt beat him up like this story, but they lost the deer. Dogs tracked it for ever before they lost the trail and gave up. My guess is bullet failed to expand-disrupt. My father has a M77 in .270 and every deer I have killed with it, and every my father has taken has had a wound channel that you could drive a bus in. I dont understand......

surjimmy
December 3, 2008, 05:19 PM
I don't understand about u guys saying they were not well placed shots just because the deer fought. Out of all the deer I have shot only 2 dropped in their tracks, and yes all my shots were right on target(lung and heart shots). To me the only mistake he made was not making sure the deer was dead before he started handling it.

woof
December 3, 2008, 05:33 PM
Every deer I shoot drops like it was hit with a sledgehammer. But then I have the luxury of hunting on family farms in dense woods and I never take shots over 50 yds on anything but a broadside standing deer and with a .35 Rem. I think if a deer doesn't drop quickly there has to be by definition a problem with either where the bullet hit or what happened to it after it hit eg lack of expansion or not enough bullet to begin with.

KBintheSLC
December 3, 2008, 06:49 PM
Its interesting to see all of the comments on the story...
To me, this story gives me a greater respect for the act of hunting. To the hunter, its all fun and games, but to the prey it is another story. They are in a desperate struggle for their lives... a struggle that will bring out the beast in anything. Hunting is a wonderful way to truly get in tune with nature... predator vs prey... man vs nature. However, we must never disrespect or underestimate the nature of this interaction with other living beings.

SlamFire1
December 3, 2008, 07:40 PM
I recall Dr Martin Fackler stating that blood loss is the only guaranteed kill mechanism. I probably have garbled the quote. Still, seems the deer died of blood loss.

Matrix187
December 3, 2008, 07:52 PM
Yeah, the deer I shot this year with my 7x57mauser started to move just as I shot (which made the bullet miss the vital area). It ran about 25 yards, and died of blood loss since the bullet luckily hit a major artery inside the deer.

Paladin_Hammer
December 3, 2008, 08:16 PM
That is exactly why I wait 15-20 minutes before approaching it. And use a semi-auto (usually, had to use the .270 SIG SHR this year due to 7.62x39 drying up in my area).

scythefwd
December 3, 2008, 08:29 PM
Still 2 many choices..
I don't see the problem. It was an accurate quote. Here there are three seasons where I hunt (two different counties with 1 being shotgun only and the other being rifle/shotgun during the third season), archery only, muzzle loader only (which is a firearm technically), and firearms. They say firearms because some counties can only use shotguns, where others can use rifles. ML and bows are authorized throughout the firearms season as well. It would be inaccurate to call it shotgun season because rifles are authorized as well and same for rifle season as my shot gun doesn't have a rifled barrel and is therefore not a rifle. It very well could be the same where that guy was hunting. They also may be allowed muzzle loaders as well as shotguns and rifles during the season making any statement but firearms season incorrect. The counties are so different that starting the 6th of Dec, if it's brown it's down in one county and it is still buck only in the other till the last week of the season in the other (28th? - 3rd of Jan).

How do you see the wording state that they are after hunters rifles too??

If you enjoyed reading about "Deer Kicks Hunters A$$ After 2 Well Placed 270's" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!