Electronic Scales

PDA

Izaak Walton
December 2, 2008, 08:09 PM
How much interference has anyone had with cordless phones or other random/oddball signals in the air?
or
Should I just go back to balance beam?

If you enjoyed reading about "Electronic Scales" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Mt Shooter
December 2, 2008, 08:19 PM
You Are wearing your tin foil hat correct? :neener:

ar10
December 2, 2008, 08:57 PM
I'll take the beam scales to electronic:scrutiny: any day.

D. Manley
December 2, 2008, 09:39 PM
"...How much interference has anyone had with cordless phones or other random/oddball signals in the air? or Should I just go back to balance beam?"

None but florescent light can sometimes make them wrinkle. See the .pdf file written by Lee Love (Uniquetek) in my post HERE (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=399427)for some worthy tips for electronic scales.

The Bushmaster
December 3, 2008, 11:13 PM
I opt for the tin foil hat.

I much prefer electronic scales over the balance scales for their speed and are just as accurate. I have both and rarely use my RCBS 5-0-5. My RCBS Powder Pro with power source is my prefered scale at the moment and has been for the last 20 years. And I don't even have a florescent light problem either...

Remo-99
December 4, 2008, 12:11 AM
Some cell phone base station systems utilize a liquid nitrogen cooled super conductor sheilding system, to issolate unwanted radio/electrical interference.
I'd imagaine that a very basic setup would run over several thousand dollars, though.

Most modern electrical equipment has it's own basic shielding to filter out undesired interference and emissons.

Digital equipment including scales may have a tendency to 'fluctuate' between readings. ie 3.9gr-4.0gr-3.9gr, if it's close to 4 grains but not quite at the threshold (this is all determined in the logic software of the product and not by outside interference).

10 Spot Terminator
December 4, 2008, 12:33 AM
The key thing to watch out for when using a digital is not to have it on the same work surface thay you may be working your press on or resting up against as they are motion sensitive. This would include a breeze from an open window nearby or from a heater a/c vent and things of this nature . These cautions were listed with my RCBS 1500 and I found it to be true as when my heater comes on I can watch the scale having difficulty stabilizing until I close the vent in my small reloading room. I also placed a piece of 1/8 inch foam under it to act as a vibration damper if I happen to be moving around a lot and that took care of the tiny quirks for me .

qajaq59
December 4, 2008, 06:40 AM
I prefer my balance beam for measuring powder. But much of that is because I'm used to it and I can trust it. I'd bet though that a digital scale for sorting a pile of cast bullets would be real nice to have.

jcwit
December 4, 2008, 09:48 AM
I have both the beam scales and the electronic. I prefer the electronic scales because of the accuracy and speed, main thing to check with an elect. is its repeatabilty. As far as accuracy goes jewlers use electronic scales to weight gold and diamonds, do you actually think if they were not accurate they would be using them to sell you gold, come on.

Dave P
December 4, 2008, 10:33 AM
Using (TX only) a GRMS walkie talkie by my good scale makes it go nuts.

The Bushmaster
December 4, 2008, 12:04 PM
My wife walking by the reloading/gun room tends to cause mine to go screwy...Of course she has an effect on my balance beam too. And so does earth quakes...Light tremers can be detected by my electronic scale.

rcmodel
December 4, 2008, 12:09 PM
The only problem I have ever had is they are very temperature sensitive.

You want to turn them on at least 1/2 to 1 hour before getting serious with them so they can stablize temperature.

rcmodel

Crimp
December 4, 2008, 12:17 PM
My very old 5-0-5 is adequate for my needs, and I've never found the need to use an electronic scale. That said, I wouldn't mind having an RCBS Chargemaster combo. ;)

p.s. NICE user-name!

NC-Mike
December 4, 2008, 01:20 PM
I just packed up the Frankford Arsenal Micro Scale I bought and am sending it back to Midway for a store credit.

I have a Lee beam scale on back order but want a better digital. That little Frankford scale was a pain. Especially the auto shutoff but that did teach me how to get my rounds loaded faster! :)

I'm thinking RCBS.

Galil5.56
December 4, 2008, 01:42 PM
I still use a Dillon D-Terminator 1500 digital I got about 15 years ago, and it's still dead on accurate. When I first got it I checked it against a multi thousand $ lab balance at a pharmaceutical lab, and until you went above a few hundred grains, the reading were the same... I was really surprised just how accurate it was. It is a little temp sensitive, but I leave it on all the time in a pretty temp stable basement. I don't think they still make this model any longer.

I still love and use my 505, but digital is especially nice for doing case and bullet separation by weight.

Walkalong
December 4, 2008, 02:27 PM
You want to turn them on at least 1/2 to 1 hour before getting seriousSo that is why I don't like them, I have no patience. :D
I leave it on all the time
That would be the ticket I guess. I may give one a try again one day.

The Bushmaster
December 4, 2008, 03:17 PM
I just knew you'd be along pretty soon:D. It takes around 15 to 30 minutes to get mine to quit going to "error". But that's how long it takes me to set up anyway. And after I'm set up. I calibrate the Powder Pro and I'm off to the races. Works for me...

Oh...By The Way...Walkalong...If you DO buy another one and you still don't like it. Don't throw it at the trash can...Send it to me...:evil:

NC-Mike
December 4, 2008, 03:44 PM
What say you about the RCBS RangeMaster 750?

ilbob
December 4, 2008, 03:58 PM
I have a decidedly non-electronic version. It is adequate for my needs. I only weigh a few charges when I start and maybe one every 50 rounds or so. I want to make sure the powder measure is working right more than anything.

Walkalong
December 4, 2008, 04:21 PM
Don't throw it at the trash can...Send it to me... :evil:I promise. :)

jcwit
December 4, 2008, 04:47 PM
Right on ibob, if I would weigh every charge I'd never get any shooting done. However when I do benchrest shooting I do weigh every charge, but only fire maybe 30-40 rds an afternoon.

prickett
December 5, 2008, 09:50 PM
I've been overjoyed with the RCBS Chargemaster setup. It takes all of ten seconds to turn on and has not had any problems.

I used to have a Frankfort Arsenal scale and it was pure hell.

December 5, 2008, 10:13 PM
I've been overjoyed with the RCBS Chargemaster setup

+1

I have mine plugged into a UPS (for my PC) and I turn it on 10 minutes before I'm ready to weigh and it's good to go (after one calibration). It's VERY accurate and there's no way I'm ever going back to the 5-0-5 or the RCBS digital scale and Redding powder trickler that I used for about 10 years. About a year ago I upgraded to the RCBS CM 1500 and have never looked back. It's SOOOOOO much faster!!

:)

Oddbod
December 8, 2008, 04:13 PM
prickett: I've been overjoyed with the RCBS Chargemaster setup

Me too.
Speeds up single stage reloading & is consistently accurate.
On the very rare occasion that it does throw a high charge (+0.1gr), it beeps to let you know.

prickett
December 8, 2008, 07:34 PM
I have mine plugged into a UPS (for my PC) and I turn it on 10 minutes before I'm ready to weigh and it's good to go

Why do you have it plugged into a UPS and/or turn it on 10 minutes ahead of time? Mine counts down from 10 (seconds) and is ready to go. I had heard other scales required long warmups, which is why I bought the Chargemaster.

ar10
December 9, 2008, 04:22 AM
Why do you have it plugged into a UPS and/or turn it on 10 minutes ahead of time? Mine counts down from 10 (seconds) and is ready to go. I had heard other scales required long warmups, which is why I bought the Chargemaster.
There's a couple of reasons. On my Lyman it states to leave it 24hrs before using it. The better UPS units have line conditioning that stabilizes the voltage. Based on what I've read the electronic scales are extremely sensitive to fluctuations of in line current, even minor changes. I have mine plugged into a higher end surge protector that helps. I know that regular house voltage does vary quite a bit,from 100 to 140. At least that's what the electric provider told me when I was doing a lot computer installations.

If you enjoyed reading about "Electronic Scales" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!