Question for 1911 Lovers

PDA

ejnogarb
December 2, 2008, 08:46 PM
It seems most 1911 owners like the gun because of beauty and history. Those things aside, what makes the 1911 so special?

If you enjoyed reading about "Question for 1911 Lovers" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
KenW.
December 2, 2008, 08:58 PM
Well, besides the combat history and nostalgia; Its the pointability, grip angle, slim and flat profile, crisp trigger, short trigger reset, safety, and the ever asked question "do you realize your gun is cocked?"

digdeep74
December 2, 2008, 08:59 PM
there are many things about a 1911 i love about. but the main thing is the way the gun feels like an extension of my arm.and that has a great effect on my accuracy.

StorkPatrol
December 2, 2008, 09:00 PM
I got mine because of looks and nostalgia like you mentioned. Then I realized that it just feels right and shoots so smooth and naturally. It also is thin enough to carry well.
--Stork

freonr22
December 2, 2008, 09:02 PM
i dont think they should even put sights on them. just be the bullet and hit what your pointing at

punkndisorderly
December 2, 2008, 09:05 PM
For me it's the slim profile, layout of the controls, and single action operation. From the first time I picked one up, it just felt "right".

That said, I turn to Glock for my carry and nightstand guns for their simplicity, total reliability, and because I could care less how much they get banged/beat up from large amounts of carry and use

FullEffect1911
December 2, 2008, 09:05 PM
it doesn't hurt that the platform was designed around the .45 auto either.

freonr22
December 2, 2008, 09:14 PM
just posted elsewhere about burris and new york... perfect example of why a 1911 is great. ps no offense to glock owners

Quote:
But I am curious as to how one accidentally fires a Glock when grabbing at it
If you grab it in a way that you pull the trigger, the gun will go off...assuming there is a round in the chamber. No external safeties on Glocks, as opposed to your 1911.

possum
December 2, 2008, 09:15 PM
for me it is the fact that the triggers are awesome, they point naturally, they are accurate and there is just something about those huge .45 cal bullets going down range.

Walkalong
December 2, 2008, 09:16 PM
Fits the hand great. Great trigger. Very accurate. Very versatile, a gazillion options these days. Several calibers to pick from. Design genius that has been copied for decades. It is simplisticly complicated. ;)

Kevin108
December 2, 2008, 09:27 PM
.45 ACP is just a fantastic round! And for me and my friends, geeks + guns = sometimes buy something just to learn - learn how to take it apart, put it back together, the terminology, how to modify it, etc.

perfect example of why a 1911 is great. ps no offense to glock owners

So, you think nobody has ever shot themselves with a 1911? :rolleyes:

The Lone Haranguer
December 2, 2008, 09:29 PM
Its the pointability, grip angle, slim and flat profile, crisp trigger, short trigger reset, safety, and the ever asked question "do you realize your gun is cocked?"
Agreed. (Well, maybe not the last part.;)) I have not found anything else that beats the combination of both speed into action and accuracy. If anything, the crisp, short-reset trigger makes them almost too easy to shoot, and you must reflexively ingrain the need to disengage the safety before firing. I do not have any at this time because I was very dissatisfied with the reliability of the ones I had.

2nd 41
December 2, 2008, 10:09 PM
The feel, looks, function, power, ease of cleaning. Can be customized or personalized. In a league of it's own. I have 3. They all feel different from each other. I could easily buy another. The first time you pick one up & pull the trigger...hit where you pointed it.....you want one. My first was a Nickle Plated Government Colt. Traded up to a Blue Gold Cup... same year bought a Stainless Gold Cup. Sold those:cuss::cuss:big mistake. But replaced them with substantial quality. If I could only own one gun it would be a 1911. It's for informal target or defensive values or for serious competition. Try one, You'll like it.

Ky Larry
December 2, 2008, 10:18 PM
I like mine because it works. It has been proven in every climate and condition on earth. Grip angle and pointability are the best I have found. Haven't found anything that works better.

ZombieKiller
December 2, 2008, 10:18 PM
its so stinkin accurate!

jdc1244
December 2, 2008, 10:34 PM
Nothing new to add…

The trigger goes with out saying – all my fingers fit on the grip; the safety and slide stop are easy to reach and use, it’s a brilliantly engineered machine that works flawlessly when the original design is left alone. It chambers an excellent round, it's easy to be accurate with, and it's beautiful to look at.

dmazur
December 3, 2008, 02:18 AM
The design has already been mentioned, and I concur. I've had 1911's for the last 30 years or so, but I've only recently learned that they are easy to detail-strip.

Also, my original Combat Commander didn't like hollow points, but reasonable gunsmithing fixed that problem and made it as reliable as my "modern" 1991A1 Commander.

I think the 1911 is special because of the incredible support available for it now. There is an awful lot of engineering going on, aimed at what should be an obsolete weapon.

There are manufactuers like Les Baer and Wilson that make some of the best 1911's available, as well as more affordable offerings from Colt and Springfield Armory.

Maybe it can be stated more simply as, "Because it's not plastic..." (but that would be inflammatory) :)

Working Man
December 3, 2008, 02:23 AM
Style and showmanship.... also, I have not found any true .45 Supers in a poly.

A 6" V-16 in a 1911 is a thing of beauty, in a poly it is just plain wrong.

rondog
December 3, 2008, 02:26 AM
"If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand."

JackOfAllTradesMasterAtNone
December 3, 2008, 02:45 AM
Its the pointability, grip angle, slim and flat profile, crisp trigger, short trigger reset, safety, and the ever asked question "do you realize your gun is cocked?"

If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand.

Somebody else mentioned options. Someone else mentioned accuracy.

Fact is, I can field strip it with my eyes closed. Clean it. (with'm open)Assemble it with'm closed again. No tools required. (OK, a tightened up Target/BullsEye gun will need a bushing wrench)

They fit the hand. And when they don't, you can get thin or thick grips for them. It is the standard proven for more than 95 years that most every other semi auto loading pistol is compared to.

They're not made out of plastic!

-Steve

tbtrout
December 3, 2008, 08:42 AM
Comfort. They fit my hand perfectly. Great triggers and layout of controls are supurb.

BornAgainBullseye
December 3, 2008, 09:08 AM
After shooting many major "others" and then picking up a 1911. I had a moment of clarity. I saw how trendy the glocks and sigs and such were. The 1911 felt better in my hand, and I shot it better than the rest. It carrys better and I overall feel better with one on my side than any other. That about sums it up for me.

Olympus
December 3, 2008, 09:41 AM
I used to be a "plastic pistol" person myself. I've had the PX4, Walther P99, and an XD. I just bought my first 1911, a Taurus. I thought I would take a baby step into the 1911 with the Taurus. It was relatively cheap compared to other 1911s and if I didn't like it then I didn't have much invested. But I LOVE that stupid Taurus! I'll never own another polymer pistol in my life. It's like night and day with a 1911. For me, it's just hard to explain. They way it feels in your hand, the balance, the look, the feel when shooting it, it's totally different. You don't get the snappy recoil that I've come to expect from polymer pistols. My suggestion is go to the range with one and shoot a couple hundred rounds. You'll be hooked!

nitetrane98
December 3, 2008, 09:41 AM
There's a recurring theme here, it just feels right in my hand, especially a Govt Model. I can overlook any other perceived negative because of it.

I've always recommended, to those who ask me about what kind of gun to buy, to get the gun that feels most comfortable to you. I break that rule myself only because of caliber considerations. To me a Browning High Power in 9mm feels like it could actually be a part of my hand.

If you enjoyed reading about "Question for 1911 Lovers" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!