Which and WHY

PDA

Mossberg88
December 3, 2008, 12:59 AM
Mini 14 or SKS *your choice which make*

If you enjoyed reading about "Which and WHY" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
RyanM
December 3, 2008, 01:02 AM
On what budget, for what purpose?

Hoppy590
December 3, 2008, 01:05 AM
depending on use

SKS cheaper to buy cheaper to feed.

Golden Hound
December 3, 2008, 01:11 AM
The SKS has a proven record as a military rifle - the Mini 14 doesn't, so I'd say that would give the SKS the edge in my book.

longdayjake
December 3, 2008, 01:19 AM
Mini 14. More bullet options. Better accuracy with newer models. Faster and safer reloads (I cut myself too much with the 7.62x39 stripper clips) Easier to mount scope. More capacity. Nicer stock. looks like a m14 but smaller. Lighter. Nicer trigger. prettier all around. Cheaper to reload.

Now you only have to decide if the huge price difference is sufficient for all of these qualities.

The SKS has a proven record as a military rifle - the Mini 14 doesn't, so I'd say that would give the SKS the edge in my book.

The mini 14 is still used by some law enforcement agencies and has been used by prison guards for a long time. I don't know of any law enforcement agencies using the sks but there may be some eastern bloc countries that do. The mini 14 has also had little applications in several conflicts or atleast I have seen pictures of them in several battle scene pictures. The SKS is a great rifle which is why I own one, but I would trade it for a newer mini 14 in a heart beat.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
December 3, 2008, 09:23 AM
Ess
Kay
Ess

Better AND cheaper.

MIL-DOT
December 3, 2008, 12:01 PM
Hey Mossberg..... I'd also go SKS over mini-14. As stated, proven rifle, and cheaper to buy both gun and ammo.

natescout
December 3, 2008, 12:14 PM
i'd go mini-14 or the mini-30 before a sks any day , plus the minis made in the good old U.S. of A !

DirtyDUSN
December 3, 2008, 12:25 PM
I Love my Yugo SKS...simple to clean, cheap ammo, easy to mount a scope, and dead on with iron sights out to 100yds easily. But I've been itching to also buy a mini 14. But you do need to state what your use for it would be, SKS would save some cash, and mini 14 wouldnt so much. You can't go wrong with an SKS though.

SHvar
December 3, 2008, 01:06 PM
Some people like the SKS, some dont, I would rather have the mini14 personally. Realistically the SKS doesnt have a proven military record, it was only ever made as a temporary fill in while the AK-47 was being designed, and tooled for manufacturing then distribuition into military service by Russia. It has a proven record among 3rd world guerillas, but you could also place limited numbers of mini-14 in military use among special forces, in law enforcement use for many years.
Both have specific uses, and strengths, I dont think I could sell my mini 14 but its definitely not in the same class as my AR.

If you enjoyed reading about "Which and WHY" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!