Ammo Tax / NICS Fees As RKBA "Infringement"

PDA

7.62X25mm
December 3, 2008, 02:25 AM
Think about it -- cigarette taxes are INTENDED to restrict access to teens, children by raising the price of tobacco beyond the reach of the young consumer.

Gun grabbers generally state that the "intention" of ammo taxes is to make ammo more expensive, ipso facto to "restrict access."

Article II, Bill of Rights states, (like I have to spell it out) " . . . the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

Seems like ANY tax on ammo, or firearms for that matter, would be an "infringement" imposed by the state upon the right of the people to keep and bear arms.

No sales tax on firearms -- that would be infringement by the state.

Which brings me to the next issue:

Presumed innocence until proved guilty, and the burden of proof lies with the state -- ergo, the buyer should not have to PAY A FEE to NICS to prove to the state that he/she is "innocent" and accordingly entitled to purchase a firearm in a manner which is not otherwise "infringed" by state "taxes and fees."

Innocence is presumed, and it is the burden of the state to prove otherwise. Accordingly, the state should bear the cost of any NICS check.

Why don't we have a "pot stirring" smiley ???

If you enjoyed reading about "Ammo Tax / NICS Fees As RKBA "Infringement"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
possom813
December 3, 2008, 04:08 AM
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k96/possom75110/stirthepot.gif

TexasRifleman
December 3, 2008, 10:02 AM
Unfortunately Heller pretty much said that "shall not be infringed" doesn't really mean "shall not be infringed".

taprackbang
December 3, 2008, 10:19 AM
Big time infringement.

Who else infringes upon every facet of our life better
than our All-knowing, all-seeing government??

I am joking, of course

Bubba613
December 3, 2008, 11:19 AM
Write a letter, sue in court for recovery of your past NICS charges and ammo taxes.
Let us know how it goes.

7.62X25mm
December 3, 2008, 02:09 PM
Wedge issue -- get a lower court to rule on the constitutional issues of ammo taxes, NICS fees. Then move it up the jurisdictional ladder.

garymc
December 4, 2008, 12:37 PM
Well, if there is a sales tax on everything you buy, then it isn't singling out guns or ammo. If there is an excise tax on boats, fishing tackle, ammo, guns, etc to support wildlife refuges, building boat ramps, hunting access, target ranges, etc, I can't see that as an attempt to limit access to guns. A tax on guns and ammo only would seem to me to be unquestionably an infringement. When you pay a gun dealer to transfer a gun he is required to do a NICS check, but doesn't pay for that call. His license fees or general taxes support the NICS system, but I'm pretty sure there is not a per call fee.

divemedic
December 5, 2008, 09:30 AM
Actually, I think the OP has a valid point. What if we reinstated poll taxes? After all, they were used to disenfranchise the poor.

How about "free speech taxes," a "religion fee," or perhaps required "warrant taxes" to prevent the police from searching your home.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ammo Tax / NICS Fees As RKBA "Infringement"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!