Intro To Race Guns...

PDA

Olympus
December 3, 2008, 11:04 AM
Let's talk about some race guns! What's a good intro model into race guns? I really like those Tanfoglio Custom Golds. I'm not looking into getting into any competitions. But maybe if I had a good intro gun that I could practice with then I might. Can it be done for a budget of around $1200 or so? What are some other common models that are used? Like I said, I'm probably not wanting to jump head first into this. But a decent starter gun that I could practice with and get comfortable shooting with would be great. What are some suggestions?

If you enjoyed reading about "Intro To Race Guns..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
walker944
December 3, 2008, 11:34 AM
Pardon the 'ignance', but what's a Race Gun?

burningsquirrels
December 3, 2008, 11:37 AM
most everything in IPSC limited class is glock or doublestack 1911 based.

what guns do you already have? with $1200 you can turn anything into a "race gun".

Olympus
December 3, 2008, 12:19 PM
I'm really not wanting to turn something I already have into one. I was thinking about something like what Brazos do with STIs. I'd like to keep what I have stock. Or maybe finding a bargain 1911 that's seen it's better days and I could built from that platform. But I'd really like have one in .38 Super though.

burningsquirrels
December 3, 2008, 12:27 PM
well, if you like the 1911 design, then you can always run with a double stack Para or STI...

are you looking to shoot ipsc, or? the sport you choose to use that gun with will determine what you get.

Olympus
December 3, 2008, 12:32 PM
At some point I would be looking into IPSC shooting. But like I said, I want to get in quite a bit of practice before I started competing.

Would it be more practical to look for a 1911 and build from there or should I try to find one that's already customized?

burningsquirrels
December 3, 2008, 12:40 PM
"practical" is defined by the wallet. it's always cheaper to get something already done.

doublestacks usually don't come cheap, though. iirc, the entry tactical model for STI still MRSPs around 1600 bucks.

if you're limited to 1200 for "just now" then you can get a barebones double stack and add a magwell, trigger job, nice sights, etc. later on.

if i were you, just find a local club wherever you are, and just start shooting with whatever you have. then once you begin to know the sport and see what everyone else shoots, you'll have a much better idea of what you'd want in your own personalized race gun.

burningsquirrels
December 3, 2008, 12:46 PM
for example, you say you want 38 super... this is only practical in the "open division" that allows red dot optics and allows .38 caliber bullets to make major power factor. however, open guns are $$$ to build. in limited division, you cannot use 38 caliber ot make major power factor. you need 40 caliber or larger to make major power factor. if you reload, 40 s&w is much easier on the wallet and easier to get brass to reload with. 38 super brass is hard to come by.

major and minor power factors deal with how target scoring goes - the zones in major would be 5-4-4-2, while minor is 5-3-3-1 in the four zones. if you shoot limited, then you definitely want to shoot major.

however, there is also a 'production' division, where people shoot mostly off the shelf type guns. you can bring glocks, CZs, etc. that have a DA/SA trigger and run them with 10 round magazines and minor power factor only - so most everyone shoots 9x19mm.

or, if you're a 1911 guy, there's a dedicated single stack division for 1911 runners, and you still need 40 caliber as the minimum to make major power factor...

lots of options which way to go... like i recommend... find a club and just start shooting... once you know which way you want to go, then you can build a nice "race gun" from there.

Olympus
December 3, 2008, 12:52 PM
I was originally thinking of only doing the open class. That's what I like to build up to at least with the holo sights and stuff. These are what I started to look at building off of. Not these exact ones, but you'll get the drift.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=117102845

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=117544920

or

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=117458912

burningsquirrels
December 3, 2008, 12:59 PM
yup, good guns. but you'll also need about 300-500 for a mount and an optic, probably 75-100 per magazine (tuned and works right), 400 in holster, belt, and mag pouches... adds up quick :(

just shoot 9mm major instead of 38 super. most open folks i know just shoot 9x19 brass. way cheaper for reloading... and cheaper if you have to buy your match ammo.

what state are you in?

Olympus
December 3, 2008, 01:09 PM
I'm in MO. I know it all adds up. But I was looking at the mounts for those. If it's aluminum like I think it is, I could have that machined for probably $20 or $30 from a friend of mine. So that part shouldn't be too big. The optics would be a large portion as well as the mags. I'd just have to do with the least amount necessary.

I was actually thinking the same thing you were about the 9mm though. .38 Super would be awesome, but probably not as practical...at least for an intro gun.

burningsquirrels
December 3, 2008, 01:16 PM
if you got a friend in a machine shop, you've got a valuable asset.
you can just order a scope mount, have him dupe it, then send the scope mount back! :D

you can always start out in limited division... then when you're ready, spend the 400 on optics and 300 on compensators and you're ready....

JoeSlomo
December 3, 2008, 01:39 PM
Can it be done for a budget of around $1200 or so?

For the gun alone? Possible.

However, you will need to invest further into accessories. Race guns, be they open or limited, require a pretty substantial investment with open guns being the high end models.

There are plenty of folks who are looking to sell / trade guns out there, and sometimes you can even find folks who are looking to sell complete rigs, ie, complete gun with mags, pouches, holster, belt etc...

I recommend an STI.

atblis
December 3, 2008, 01:59 PM
One of the Witness Elites. The importer is a piece of crap, but the guns are usually top notch. 38SA. Should be <$1000
http://www.eaacorp.com/images/Witness-Elite/Limited-08.png

Gold team is more $1500ish. Some Italian style.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=117275885
http://www.eaacorp.com/images/Witness-Elite/GoldTeam-08.png

If you enjoyed reading about "Intro To Race Guns..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!