223 reloads.......

PDA

viking499
December 3, 2008, 04:25 PM
Can this round be loaded so that it looks good ballistic wise?

When you compare it with other similar grain bullets, factory to factory, it seems to me that it comes up "shorter" that the others on energy, drop and some of the other factors.

Is it a good catridge and i just have not noticed the good part yet?

If you enjoyed reading about "223 reloads......." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
December 3, 2008, 04:28 PM
Well, how good it looks depends on what other rounds you are comparing it to.

It will never be a .220 Swift, for instance, but it puts a .22 Hornet in the shade quite handly.

It is an excellent 250 - 300 yard varmint round. Possibly the best.
But you can't hunt elk or moose with it.

I'm just not sure I even understand your question though! :scrutiny:

rcmodel

243winxb
December 3, 2008, 06:59 PM
http://www.6mmbr.com/223Rem.html Heavy bullets for long range.

Ky Larry
December 3, 2008, 11:47 PM
IIRC, Col. Jeff Cooper said ballistic tables and charts are interesting and useful for perusing during a session on the great white ceramic throne. Otherwise, they have very little bearing on the real world.
The .223 is my favorite varmint round, but I seldom shoot over 300 yards. Are you going to read about it or shoot it?

Alpine Storm
December 3, 2008, 11:58 PM
Although I have allot to learn, those who really think the .223 is a good varmint round, really haven't shot many varmints. Or at least not beyond 100 yards. Nobody in my circle of friends takes them to shoot Prairie Dogs. And the top Coyote Hunters that I have met whom really compete, all shoot .243's, 22-250's and swifts.

The round is good for what it was designed: (1) It is a bullet in which you can carry great quantities (2) It likes to penetrate soft armor (3) It is great at incapacitating humans and making them casualties.
[not actually killing them]

I have had some real success at the reloading bench by turning up 40 grain ballistic tips with H380 ball powder. Our Remington 700 is one of the most accurate rifles in the safe and will shoot clover leafs with little effort.

rcmodel
December 4, 2008, 01:42 PM
O.K.
A 55 grain V-Max, started out at 3,200 FPS from a .223, will be down to about 2,800 FPS at 100 yards.

The same bullet started at 3,600 out of a 22-250 will have about the same velocity at 200 yards.

SO, how is it that "Nobody in my circle of friends" who thinks the .223 is a 100 yard varmint round, thinks the 22-250 is all that much better?

I have shot 22-250 since about 1964, and .223 beginning about 1970. There is no doubt that the 22-250 is a superior coyote rifle.

But I can shoot prairie dogs all day with a .223 and not worry the slightest about cooking a barrel. Which you can do with a 22-250 in a couple of hours of constant shooting on a dog town.

In actual fact, each serves a purpose, and each will do to hunt varmints with very well.

rcmodel

carbine85
December 4, 2008, 08:28 PM
Many a men have met their maker at the receiving end of the .223 / 5.56. I have taken a few ground hog at 200 yards. I know plenty of people that hunt coyote with them. I also shoot 300 yard matches with my RRA Varmit A4.
The .223 may not be superior but there are plenty of loads that will do the trick.

cliffy
December 4, 2008, 08:47 PM
The .223 Remington is the single perfect round for these tiny rats. If one truly desires to totally vaporize these bushy-tailed rats a .243 Winchester with 62 grain Barnes Varmint Grenades will vaporize their blood cells and then some. Talk about OVERKILL when a 36 grain .223 Remington Barnes Varmint Grenade will blast a BIG woodchuck-sized varmint's blood all over the countryside. A .243 Winnie Pooh was meant to handily put-down deer and feral hogs with 100 grain Speer Grand Slams. Get real, and don't grossly over-power your quarry. The recoil is all yours: select wisely cliffy

CZ223
December 6, 2008, 10:50 AM
the 223 is my favorite .224 cartridge. It is arguably more accurate than the other 2 cartidges. I have taken lots of prarie dogs out to 300 and 400 yards with it and I always had another rifle like my swift along for the really long ones. I would also be willing to bet that it is the most popular small varmint cartridge out there, all things considered.

aliveisalive
December 6, 2008, 04:23 PM
speaking of .223 reloads, i ordered the lee RGB dies for .223 and the lee crimp die.

decent enough choice?

wanderinwalker
December 6, 2008, 11:54 PM
aliveisalive, I'll let you in on a little secret: I made NRA Master in Highpower using LEE equipment to make the ammo. The dies won't hold your performance back...

As to the .223, what does it have to look good ballistically against? Know your drop and drift, toss 80gr Sierras from a 1:8" twist barrel at 2600-2700 fps, and it's a 600-yard capable rifle that doesn't beat you up. Would a 6mm be better? Sure, but don't blame the cartridge when it's the trigger jerk's job to put the bullet where it needed to go.

The best shooting and reloading advice I ever got was "Put down those books and go shoot." ;)

Edited: I'm talking in the context of match shooting. I know lots of people who use .223s to shoot coyotes, and have no doubt it's a fine woodchuck gun. Toss 50-55gr slugs at 3100-3200 fps and I'm sure not much in the varmint-class would still be a "threat" after the proper dosage was administered.

cliffy
December 7, 2008, 12:53 AM
Slam your reloading manual against the wall and find out HOW a given load REALLY works at the practice range. This advise is NOT for occasional hunters. Using a Chronograph is not a cute, once in awhile occurance. Any round fired without a chronograph, is a wasted round in actuality concerning seeking perfection. KNOW your desired velocity, and a chronograph will EXPLAIN where your handload enters the picture of desired reality. HOLEY SH__ loads surface swiftly. Powder types, Grain weights, C.O.L., primer choices show up quickly as PERFECTION or Holey COW loads or weak-kneed wannabes. I believe really cool reloaders already know what I infer. cliffy

interlock
December 7, 2008, 12:59 AM
My cousin uses one, he loves it. it is a Cz527 american. in fact he loves it so much he has given it a name (The Brother Of Destruction sometimes abbreviatted to "the brother"). we don't have coyotes and ground hogs but we have fox, rabbits and corvids.

Ben loads 50 gr norma soft points on 27 gr of N140 and it is a phenominally accurate and effective fox killer out to about 300 yards.

Ammo is cheap it doesn't use much powder and in the states .22 bullets are really cheap and loaded ammunition is also really cheap.

.223 is a great round

interlock

Remo-99
December 7, 2008, 06:15 AM
Whoa! a .243 Winchester for Prairie Rats?

Lol cliffy,
I better not tell you then, I've been known to varmit some tiny critters with my .270win. lol. Overkill? Definately.

More than once, that's the calibre I had on me, whilst looking for larger game, but in their absence, some varmits experienced 'total annilation' instead.

But yes, a .223rem with 50/52/53 or 55gr does nice varmit work out to 250-300yards.

viking499
December 21, 2008, 04:11 PM
How much drop would you expect on average at 300 yards with the 223?

jpwilly
December 21, 2008, 04:25 PM
0" drop at 300yrds...when you zero at 300yrds!

If you enjoyed reading about "223 reloads......." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!