Springfield XD or Smith M&P?

PDA

Knives
December 3, 2008, 04:29 PM
Hi guys. I'll be picking up a new carry pistol in May and my original choice was the Smith in .40s&w. A buddy of mine let me have a look at his XD and now I am conflicted. I like them both and I think the XD is less expensive, but money won't be a deciding factor.

What are your thoughts?

If you enjoyed reading about "Springfield XD or Smith M&P?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jsalmon_23
December 3, 2008, 05:06 PM
In my personal opinion Springfield is the way to go much nicer!

The Lone Haranguer
December 3, 2008, 05:20 PM
I rented both, liked the trigger action and fit/feel of the M&P better, and purchased a 9mm compact, which has run flawlessly. But either will serve you well.

dakotasin
December 3, 2008, 08:05 PM
i have both (in 40).
i much prefer the smith.

Ringer
December 3, 2008, 08:38 PM
Personal choice. I have nothng against XD's but I'll keep my M&P. Agree that either will serve you well. Shoot both and decide what's best for you.

f4t9r
December 3, 2008, 09:22 PM
A vote for XD

gglass
December 3, 2008, 09:40 PM
You would have to pry my M&P 40 from my cold dead hand.

I almost bought the XD, but the gun dealer was wearing his M&P and it prompted me to ask why he choose that particular one. After an associates degree worth of information on the M&P, I decided to try their range rental M&P 40... I was sold.

After 400+ rounds, I still can't find anything about the M&P to nit pick. I can't think of any other gun that I own that has I could say that about.

A real bonus - M&P is made in America... not an Eastern Block country like Croatia.

possum
December 3, 2008, 10:04 PM
i prefer the xd but that is up to you to descide for yourself what you like.
i have over 9k through my xd service model and i love it.

Deadheadted37
December 3, 2008, 10:55 PM
XD for me.

sparky923
December 3, 2008, 11:00 PM
Another vote for the M&P. I've got one in .40 and love it.

Mike J
December 3, 2008, 11:13 PM
I have an XD. I haven't shot the M&P but I agree with Ringer. You should shoot them both-then decide which you like best. Whats best for me might not be for you.

Yosemite**Sam
December 3, 2008, 11:16 PM
I own 2 M&P's one full size and one compact. I also own a Springfield XD full size and they're all in 9mm. The Springfield has the best out of the box trigger of the black guns.

Personally I like the feel of the M&P over the XD. The M&P feels better as a point shooter.

The XD sights are somewhat lacking. Read Springfield's disclaimer at the back of the owners manual. "They may shoot point of aim point of impact at 25 yards or the may shoot high." :confused:

I'm friends with the Rangemaster for a small local P.D. that is in the midst of changing over to the XD's. Because my XD shoots high I asked him how their guns were shooting. Out of 20 guns received 18 shot high and 2 shot point of aim point of impact.

ZeBool
December 4, 2008, 01:26 AM
Most definately the XD, I have a service model that has been absolutely stellar.

heavyshooter
December 4, 2008, 01:51 AM
I vote XD. They are both good guns so it's all a matter of preference. I believe that they are both going to knock a dent in Glock's profit margin. It will be small but noticed.

Heavy

flynlr
December 4, 2008, 05:10 AM
I vote M&P 40, I liked mine so much as my carry gun , I bought another as a spare.

Dday
December 4, 2008, 06:09 AM
Seems like it is 50/50. Go to a range and spend time shooting both. I personally lean toward S&W because I can't get over the fact that the SA is built in eastern Europe. SA is offering some great deals right now, so that might just be enough to sway the scale toward them. Shoot both before buying.

Mr. Bojangles
December 4, 2008, 08:53 AM
I have an xd-m .40 that I purchased new for $550, and it has functioned well thus far with about 250 rounds through it. It's a lot of gun for the money and I don't regret the purchase, although I would feel better about it if it were made in the U.S.A.

sta500rdr
December 4, 2008, 09:49 AM
M&P 40 for sure. I had the same conflict but when it came down to it, I just liked the fit and finish of the M&P. The compact is much less boxy than the XD, therefore is more comfortable when carrying. I have no complaints what so ever about the M&P and would definitely recommend it to anyone.

Walkalong
December 4, 2008, 10:02 AM
XD by a mile, maybe a mile and a half.

gtmtnbiker98
December 4, 2008, 11:51 AM
Well, if it's a regular XD then I would opt for the M&P any day and twice on Sunday. But the XDm is a different story and a much harder comparison.

ultradoc
December 4, 2008, 11:54 AM
I have an xd-9 s.c. and love it

SightSeeker
December 4, 2008, 12:41 PM
Just bought my M&P with no regrets. Test drove the the big 3 before I decided.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v678/nevrsumr22/IMG_0187Small.jpg

Ben86
December 4, 2008, 12:47 PM
I recently bought an m&p9c over the xd compact just because it felt better in my hand. Also the xd looks to have a higer bore axis. Oh, and S&W is 100% made in the USA, in a crappy economy that means a lot to me. I bet both are great guns though.

james_bond
December 4, 2008, 12:54 PM
All the M&Ps I have handled had "gritty" trigger pulls they might have been dirty or not broken in enough, but they were gritty. the XD has always been smooth feeling to me I love my XD 45.

Butter
December 4, 2008, 01:14 PM
Have both, and like both, but for me Mr. Bond's statement is true: M&P (for me) equals gritty trigger that does get better at the 1K mark but better grip; XD = better trigger and good ergos, if not as svelt a grip as on the M&P. Both are good pistols and you could go far from bad choosing either. :) Or as some of us have, choose both! Solves the problem right there.

mpc12
December 4, 2008, 01:45 PM
I like the xd over the m&p, but they are both great guns.

Hanafuda
December 4, 2008, 01:53 PM
The XD probably should have a better trigger out-of-the-box than the Glock or the M&P, since AFAIK the striker in an XD is fully cocked by the slide cycle, i.e. it is functionally a single action. The Glock and M&P designs only semi-cock the striker with the slide cycle, leaving the trigger with a somewhat "1 and 1/2 action" job to do.

For a defensive pistol, on this issue alone, I prefer the Glock and M&P model. I don't know how other striker fired pistols from other brands are designed where this is concerned, but the XD is the only one I know of that fully cocks the striker with the slide cycle.

Other shooters may prefer the XD for this reason, and they'd be just as 'right' as I am. Personal preference.

I did just order an M&P9. Should have it by this time next week, and hopefully I'll be happy with my choice. I did consider the new XDm, but couldn't find one for $439, shipped. :neener:

coachman48
December 4, 2008, 02:29 PM
Hanafuda,

Where did you find a M&P for $439.00 shipped??? Which model is this?? :)

Thanks
Bob

gglass
December 4, 2008, 02:37 PM
Buds Gun Shop online has been selling the full size M&Ps at $439 for some time. (Delivered) (Plus the fee that your local FFL charges)

You will have to click the item and have them Email you the price.

http://www.budsgunshop.com

Hanafuda
December 4, 2008, 02:39 PM
It's the fullsize, 17rd, no internal lock, no mag safety. ;) Bud's had them available on special order, both the 9 and 40, but I think the pre-orders maxed-out a few weeks ago. I just got an email from Bud's yesterday that the order had finally shipped from S&W, 3 weeks late due to the recent buy panic. I did spend an extra $5 on shipping insurance.

Still in time to get two free mags with the rebate, too.

SightSeeker
December 4, 2008, 02:39 PM
My MP9 does not have a gritty trigger. I was reading about that before I bought it but nothing I notice.

coachman48
December 4, 2008, 03:30 PM
I looked on Buds, I guess they went up they are about $ 503 now for the M&P 17 round no lock. I missed out on a good deal. :(

Thanks
Bob

Knives
December 4, 2008, 05:14 PM
Thanks for the replies, guys. I'll definitely be giving both of them a try before buying and I appreciate your input!

If you enjoyed reading about "Springfield XD or Smith M&P?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!