What load for 22-250?

PDA

Grassman
December 3, 2008, 08:47 PM
What is a good load and bullet for a newby? I just ordered some Hornady 55 grain bullets. Gonna just jump in head first, only way I can learn.

If you enjoyed reading about "What load for 22-250?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
OAKVILLE SHOOTER
December 3, 2008, 08:51 PM
My Remington 788 likes 55 grain V-Max over 39.2 grains of H-380 with Winchester primers.

Grassman
December 3, 2008, 10:10 PM
Is there a specific brand of bullet you prefer?

OAKVILLE SHOOTER
December 3, 2008, 10:27 PM
Sorry for not specifying, I use Hornady 55 grn. V-Max.

LAH
December 4, 2008, 08:30 AM
I'm in love with the .22-250. I tend to shoot the same stuff over & over. With various 55 gr. bullets I work up to 36 grs. of IMR 4064 if the rifle allows. I've probably shot more Speer bullets in this weight than others.

My favorite all time load for the groundhog/crow field is the Sierra 52 gr. HP/BT/BR/Match over 35.5 grs. of IMR 4064 with a Rem. 9 1/2 primer though I use others.

I've found this bullet very accurate as production bullets go. It normally kills very well but I find sometimes it opens like gangbusters while other times it opens very little. Just my 2.

God Bless
Creeker

Grassman
December 4, 2008, 08:44 AM
Well yesterday was my first order for reloading supplies. I was like a kid in a candy store, can't wait to get started.

Friendly, Don't Fire!
December 4, 2008, 08:46 AM
I like the 50g Speer TNT. They tell you not to push the bullet past about 3,400 FPS, as the bullet may disintegerate in mid-air before it even reaches the target (due to centrifugal force as the bullet is spinning so fast).

I had experimented when I first got the gun with different powders and bullets, however, the gun really "liked" the 50g TNT the best (it was so obvious on the groups I was getting that it was a "no-brainer"), so I fine-tuned that load. Seems the gun likes maximum load the best for that weight bullet. I was extremely careful when I worked up to that maximum load.

I have shot over several hundred rounds with this same load, without missing one target. In fact, I am pulling about 1/2" groups at 200 yards. The holes in the paper have always been typical .22 caliber holes, no elongation of holes, no "shrapnel" tiny holes, etc. This is something else to watch for, indicating a possible problem with the bullet hitting the paper. All holes should be identical and look like perfectly round holes.

Be extremely careful when working up any load, that you are being aware of any unusual sounds or occurrences when you fire. For example, if something in your instinct tells you that the previous shot might not have hit the target, for whatever reason, STOP and check the barrel to ensure that there is not a bullet jacket stuck in the barrel. Although this is something that will not likely occur, BE CAREFUL and have fun.

Grassman
December 4, 2008, 12:41 PM
What are some of the consequences of over loading or under loading for that matter? What happens if I accidentally double charge a round? Very dangerous?

closetgunnut
December 4, 2008, 12:44 PM
Double charge= BOOM:what:

Not good! Not good at all.

Closet

rcmodel
December 4, 2008, 12:45 PM
It is impossible to "double-charge a 22-250. The case won't hold a double-charge.

However, it will hold more then a maximum load of some powders.

You just need to not do that!

rcmodel

Grassman
December 4, 2008, 12:50 PM
Undercharging for some reason, will that result in a bullet lodged in the barrel?

rcmodel
December 4, 2008, 12:55 PM
Yes it could.

But stop focusing on all the mistakes you "could" make.

Reloading is not rocket science!
Find out how to do it safely by reading a few good reloading manuals.

Then do it and you won't have any problems.

It is probably safer then putting gas in your car if you follow the procedures and pay attention to detail.

rcmodel

Grassman
December 4, 2008, 12:57 PM
Oh I have about 8 manuals and books I'm reading. Just have a few "what if" questions.

Grassman
December 4, 2008, 01:02 PM
Can you guys recommend a powder that has worked well for you in 22-250?

LAH
December 4, 2008, 01:33 PM
We've listed two powders above. Both are good for the ole 250. The manuals will give more suggestions. Personally I shoot IMR powders mostly and find 4064 and 4895 hard to crowd for my use. Oakville Shooters suggests H-380 which is also a great powder.

Creeker

rcmodel
December 4, 2008, 01:43 PM
H-380 was so named by Bruce Hodgdon years ago because it gave him exceptional accuracy with 38.0 grains behind a 52 grain Match bullet in the 22-250.

I've always had really good luck with 33.5 grains IMR-4895 and a 53 grain JHP.

rcmodel

NCsmitty
December 4, 2008, 01:47 PM
As I tell most new reloaders, get as much data as you can digest. Go to www.hodgdon.com and look over the selection of powders that's used in that caliber. You just try different loads to find one the rifle likes best. It may not shoot the Hornady 55's well, who knows without trying? That's the beauty of reloading. The options are nearly endless. I like the 52gr A-Max Hornady with IMR3031, or i should say my rifle does.

NCsmitty

Grassman
December 4, 2008, 03:17 PM
That hodgdon.com is a great site.

sig220mw
December 5, 2008, 07:13 AM
I shoot a 55 gr nosler ballistic tip over 33.5 gr of imr 4064 and have put the first 3 shots in the same hole many times. It will usually then widen out to about 5/16 of an inch with 5 shots. Also shoot a 60 gr hornady SP over 31.5 gr of imr 4064 and also same bullet over 35.3 gr of h380 these 2 loads both
usually shoot 1/2 inch to 9/16. This is with a ruger m77. Of course this is only if I do my part correctly. Some times my concentration isn't what it
should be.

BoilerUP
December 5, 2008, 07:34 AM
52gr A-Max over 34.5gr Varget is a nice, mild, VERY accurate load out of my 1-14 twist Ruger No.1-V.

Grassman
December 5, 2008, 08:20 AM
a couple friends of mine don't like a full metal jacket on a 22-250. Do any of you have any thoughts?

NCsmitty
December 5, 2008, 09:46 AM
Grassman, you will find FMJ bullets usually will not give you good groups because of the way that they are manufactured, with too much variation between bullets, even the brand name ones. Your best results will be HP or HP match type bullets. That's not to say spitzer soft points won't, as many have the potential to shoot as well as HP's. Also, you do realize that ballistic tipped bullets are basically HP with an aerodynamic nose covering. As I said before, the options are nearly endless.

NCsmitty

Grassman
December 5, 2008, 10:16 AM
Well NCsmitty, ya learn something every day, I did not know that.

rcmodel
December 5, 2008, 12:13 PM
My thought is, and always has been that FMJ bullets are not as accurate because the jacket opening is on the base, not the nose.

I do not believe it has anything much at all to do with weight variation, as Hornady .224" FMJ-BT are very uniform in weight, but still not exceptionally accurate.

SO, with the jacket opening swaged on the base, it becomes almost impossible for every bullet to be uniformly square on the bottom.

That being the case, it follows that some of them get tipped slightly as the crooked base exits the rifles muzzle. Gas pressure escapes on one side before the other, and the bullet goes wobbling off down range.

All other bullet types, with the jacket opening in the nose, can be made perfectly square on the bottom, every time. Any excess jacket material squeezes out the tip of the swaging die and ends up being the pointy end of the bullet.

And a crooked nose does not effect a bullets flight nearly as much as a crooked base.

rcmodel

jjohnson
December 5, 2008, 12:58 PM
Hey, one thing I should mention if you don't already know it, twist rate is rather important for 220-250.

Remington uses a slow twist rate - like 1:16, I believe, slower than some other large manufacturers. The twist, in the case of my 700VSS, means I can't reliably get 55-grain and larger bullets to properly stabilize:banghead:.

So..... making cheap reloads with surplus FMJ is kinda out of the question. My rifle does very well with weights to 52 grains, but at 55, they start to go where they don't belong :cuss:

If I ever rebarrel it, I'mgoing with a fast twist so I can get into the heavier bullets.:scrutiny:

rcmodel
December 5, 2008, 01:15 PM
To my knowledge, no manufacture, including Remington, has ever used slower then 1/14 twist in the 22-250.
That is considered the "standard" twist for the 22-250.

And as already noted, they should, and will, shoot any bullet weight up to the 63 grain Sierra Semi-Pointed. But maybe not 60 grain boat-tails or plastic-tips, because they are getting pretty long.

If it won't shoot 55 grain varmint or match bullets very well, there is something wrong with the bullets, or the rifle.

But no rifle is every going to set any accuracy records shooting 55 grain FMJ. They just won't give exceptional accuracy in any barrel.

rcmodel

fireman 9731
December 5, 2008, 03:16 PM
rcmodel is right, my remington 700 is 1:14 and can shoot heavier bullets with the right load. He is also right about the FMJs, I had lots of problems with them, after careful inspection they were all within 1/10 of a grain weight wise but the lead at the bases wasn't uniform and I couldn't bet better than 2 inch groups.

I have had excellent results using IMR 4895 and Varget with Barnes varmint grenades and TSX. The varget seems to burn cleaner and not heat up my barrel as fast as the IMR 4895.

NCsmitty
December 5, 2008, 03:33 PM
jjohnson, for your information, Remington has used a 1in14 twist in its standard M700 22-250 for as many years as it has been in production. If you use a good flat base 55gr bullet, it will group as well as the 52gr bullet.
It's the V-Max style boat tail 55gr that may give problems because of their length.
The difference in trajectory between boat tail and flat base bullets is basically inconsequential to 300yds.
The Remington 55gr Power-Lokts is a much under rated bullet and is capable of excellent, consistent accuracy in the 22-250. Nobody seems to use these great bullets anymore, at least from posts on this site. I guess they don't have any gimmick going for them except for great accuracy and explosive results on varmints. IMO, they are the equal of any flat base Sierra, Hornady or Speer HP.

NCsmitty

Strongbad
December 6, 2008, 01:42 PM
For that bullet range (my CZ has the same twist) my best loads have all been with Reloder 10x. You can check their site for data. For 52-55 29-32 gr. should be about right.

LAH
December 6, 2008, 03:03 PM
The Remington 55gr Power-Lokts is a much under rated bullet and is capable of excellent, consistent accuracy in the 22-250.

Agree

If you enjoyed reading about "What load for 22-250?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!