Bad practice to shoot different grip angles?

PDA

Agent-J
December 3, 2008, 11:17 PM
switching from glock to 1911 a bad idea?

as in owning, carrying, shooting target with either in no particular order.

If you enjoyed reading about "Bad practice to shoot different grip angles?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rbernie
December 4, 2008, 12:27 AM
Some folks make the switch just fine. Sadly, I don't. For that reason, I have lots of pistols, but none of them are Glocks.

Steve C
December 4, 2008, 12:33 AM
switching from glock to 1911 a bad idea?

Don't see why, any more than switching to any other thing you operate. Do you suddenly become a poor or unsafe driver when you change the vehicle you drive?

twofifty
December 4, 2008, 01:27 AM
Yes, if you waste time reaching for a non-existent floor shifter when you're driving a friend's automatic tranny and you need to gear down NOW.

FoMoGo
December 4, 2008, 01:33 AM
The grip angle is the main reason I dont own a glock.
If I decided to carry ONLY the glock and practiced a LOT... to overcome a body and mind trained to the 1911 grip angle... then maybe.
In rapid target acquisition, I ALWAYS have to take the time and extra step to fix the sight picture.
In a stress situation I dont want to have that to overcome.
Some people dont have this issue.
If I had years of experience with the glock I believe I would have the same issue with the 1911.

Jim

Big B
December 4, 2008, 01:45 AM
For me It takes a few shots/moments to adjust between lil revolver w/ service grip to big revolver w/ target grip when target shooting. Shot a glock and didn't care for it. I have also shot an XD and a 1911 Kimber Gold Match side by side without a problem.
For carry or SD I wouldn't wan't to switch between a 1911 and a Glock.

WardenWolf
December 4, 2008, 01:50 AM
A 1911 grip actually is the most natural angle for your hand. Most people will instinct shoot with 1911-angled frame better than any other grip. It's generally a bad idea to switch angles once you've gotten used to one.

ghostsix
December 4, 2008, 08:02 AM
The idea of the A1 mainspring housing was to raise the POA. No one liked it. And you seldom see it today.
11 degrees seem to be decided upon.
I have seen some interesting grips on 1911`s. Ground down in different ways. None made them shoot better.

Marcus L.
December 4, 2008, 09:21 AM
I used to own and shoot many different pistol designs. I don't anymore for one reason.....muscle memory. Your body automatically adjusts for grip angle, pointing, and reaches for control locations that you're practiced the most with.....particularly when you are in a hurry and under stress. When I did timed qualifications I was reaching for controls that were not there, using a grip that was more appropriate for a different pistol, and pointing in a manner that was for a different pistol. I adapted quick, but a real life scenario will not be even remotely as comfortable as the range. There are no second chances, nor any room for error. I focus my handgun training now days on my duty weapon which is a Sig P229 and other Sigs which have the same or very similar handling characteristics to the P229. Every now and then I'll go out and shoot other pistol designs(about 10% of the time), but I try to keep it to a very limited basis so that I maintain fluid muscle memory for my Sigs. Since then I have been faster, more fluid, and adapt much better to changes in a course of fire.

There's an old saying in which I forget who said it:

"Fear the man who has only one gun, he will know how to use it."

Also,
"When life and death is on the line, we do not rise to the occasion, we fall back onto our level of training."

If you enjoyed reading about "Bad practice to shoot different grip angles?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!