DPMS 5.56 Sportical for $1000 - Should I Buy?

PDA

4Freedom
December 3, 2008, 11:19 PM
I am debating this.. I know I can wait 6 months - 1 year and get one.. MAYBE :confused: Someone is selling a brand new one for $1000 .. Should I jump on this? Does anyone think prices will really ever go down on these type of guns? I still cannot find a 308 that is anywhere close to a value that is not sheer robbery. I am a little iffy about buying such a gun from a private person, but he seems to have good reviews.. Wonder what others would do in this situation.. $300 extra worth it for immediate delivery.. hmm.

I hear the Sportical is a great gun and I am set on getting one. Its saddens me to see the guy sold the same gun two months ago for half the price. :cuss: :banghead:

To buy or not to buy is the question..

If you enjoyed reading about "DPMS 5.56 Sportical for $1000 - Should I Buy?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Cesiumsponge
December 3, 2008, 11:24 PM
If you can't wait to handle one locally, just shop online at a store like Bud's Gun Shop and get it shipped to a local FFL. After reading your other threads, I see you're all over the place and still not settled on what you want. A thousand plus bucks is a lot of money to throw around on a gamble that you'll buy something you wanted.

Jim_M
December 4, 2008, 12:11 AM
That's way high for a Sportical imo. Buy a striped lower. Find a good recommended gunsmith locally. Cut him a deposit check and get a better gun built for the same money or less.

hankdatank1362
December 4, 2008, 12:13 AM
No.

Not only no, but Hell no.

louie19
December 4, 2008, 12:24 AM
Jim_M: If I do what you say, don't you still have to order a complete upper w/barrel from say DPMS? I assume the gunsmith has lower parts and a stock.

4Freedom
December 4, 2008, 12:24 AM
Thanks. good advice.. I think if I cannot find anyone who doesn't wish to charge the Obama communist prices, then I will just go hunting for parts and find a good gunsmith. I talked to a local guy who says he will be getting parts for a 5.56 DPMS AP4 Carbine and will build me one for $800 and I can get it one week to couple months from today. However, I would prefer the light sportical.. I didn't want such a heavy gun for a 5.56. He said he was adding a part that would make it end up at 8lbs.

Oh well, maybe part hunting would be the option. What are all the parts I need to make a complete gun? Is the most important piece to find the lower receiver? Or would I need to find an entire kit plus lower receiver and barrel?

jpwilly
December 4, 2008, 01:28 AM
The DPMS Sportical isn't worth $1000!

Trempel
December 4, 2008, 01:37 AM
One grand for a bare bones AR that is Sportical is too much. It's above even MSRP. However, you'll be waiting for a sub-$1K, brand name AR for a long time. Supply is not yet catching up with demand.

Timradcliffe345
December 4, 2008, 01:40 AM
Buy a Colt. Most other ARs are cr@p.

skinewmexico
December 4, 2008, 01:43 AM
I can't decide if that's an elitist remark, or just a troll remark.

FlyinBryan
December 4, 2008, 01:45 AM
if you want 1000 bux more than a sportical, keep the 1000 bux.

if you would rather have a sportical than 1000 bux, get the sportical.

to me its that simple.

just lay your 1000 bux on the table and look at it. if you wish it was a rifle, get the rifle.

FlyinBryan
December 4, 2008, 01:50 AM
Buy a Colt. Most other ARs are cr@p

pure genius

X-Rap
December 4, 2008, 02:33 AM
It must be bad in your local. I have to look hard to see a new AR for a grand.
I know of 3 shops with Ars going from $650 used to grand for a new bushy.
308 for a grand is more like it.

againstthagrane
December 4, 2008, 04:06 AM
I can't decide if that's an elitist remark, or just a troll remark.

either way, it's borderline retarded.

louie19
December 4, 2008, 04:24 AM
What are all the parts I need to make a complete gun? Is the most important piece to find the lower receiver? Or would I need to find an entire kit plus lower receiver and barrel?

A stripped (its one piece of metal, doesn't even have a trigger in it) lower receiver is only serial numbered part and subject to FFL transfer, so I think may be hardest to get if we have another ban (also high cap magazines.)

To build a complete AR-15, you'll want a stripped lower receiver, lower parts kit, a complete upper with bolt carrier group, and stock. You could break down the upper and build it from parts as well.

Dday
December 4, 2008, 04:59 AM
Picked up a nicely fitted out Sig 556 recently for a grand and thought that was a bit stiff, so I sure as hell wouldn't shell out that much for a DPMS. Sorry Panther fans, no offense, I've seen plently of very fine rifles with the cat logo on them, but I wouldn't give you that much for one that might have thousands of rounds shot through it.

Hey sorry, just read your post again and saw that the DPMS is new not used. I still think you can get a very nice AR for less (better yet, look around for a Sig).

gdonley308
December 4, 2008, 10:21 AM
NO! That's Obama inflation already at work. Those are suppose to be $699.00

Timradcliffe345
December 4, 2008, 01:33 PM
either way, it's borderline retarded.

Here we go again. Owners of subpar AR15s defending their pieces of cr@p, also-known-as Bushmaster, DPMS, RRA and Olympic.

To the OP: Please see the following thread for the different features that distinguishes a good AR from a cr@p AR:

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=6642

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/chart.jpg

The top three AR manufacturers are Colt, LMT and Noveske. I highly recommend the Charles Daly D4M-LE. Please note that the prices in the chart are not post-election prices.

Bottomline:

1) Stay away from DPMS and other lower-tier AR15s, don't settle for a POS.
2) Have your FFL order what you want directly from the manufacturer as the backorder list is getting longer and longer.
3) Give Charles Daly a call.

Hope this helps. Cheers and God Bless America.

againstthagrane
December 4, 2008, 02:23 PM
Here we go again. Owners of subpar AR15s defending their pieces of cr@p, also-known-as Bushmaster, DPMS, RRA and Olympic.

here we go again, another brand whore fan boy who thinks the rollmark on the side of their rifle makes it shoot better and last longer. i think you just have a pony fetish.

HAHA, the internet commandos best friend! THE LIST.
i take back the borderline part. lol!

go back to ar15.com, troll boy.

Frog48
December 4, 2008, 02:28 PM
Oh geez, here we go... It was just a matter of time before the worthless, tired "Chart" made an appearance. :rolleyes:

Citing "The Chart" is about as credible as citing wikipedia on a doctoral thesis.

NC-Mike
December 4, 2008, 02:31 PM
Picked up a nicely fitted out Sig 556 recently for a grand and thought that was a bit stiff, so I sure as hell wouldn't shell out that much for a DPMS.

1,000 for a bare Sig556 is a good price. You did just fine.

Timradcliffe345
December 4, 2008, 02:36 PM
Instead of talking up your asses, run 10 of your Bushmasters against 10 Colts on a 3k carbine course and see what the failure rates of each are. I can't believe how ignorant some people are. It is a disgrace.

To the OP: Any AR is better than no AR. Just don't listen to the armchair commandos on this board. God Bless America and may she always be free.

Evenflo76
December 4, 2008, 02:40 PM
Great, now I've got to go outside and pick up all the dead kittens.:banghead:

To the OP. I've seen Sporticals going for $700 within the last 2 weeks on GunBroker. Buds won't have any for a while I'm sure.

I paid $650 for mine from them. $1000 is too much IMO. There are deals out there. Just be patient.

Evenflo76
December 4, 2008, 02:41 PM
Great, now I've got to go outside and pick up all the dead kittens.:banghead:

To the OP. I've seen Sporticals going for $700 within the last 2 weeks on GunBroker. Buds won't have any for a while I'm sure.

I paid $650 for mine from them. $1000 is too much IMO. There are deals out there. Just be patient.

NC-Mike
December 4, 2008, 03:08 PM
Instead of talking up your asses, run 10 of your Bushmasters against 10 Colts on a 3k carbine course and see what the failure rates of each are. I can't believe how ignorant some people are. It is a disgrace.

To the OP: Any AR is better than no AR. Just don't listen to the armchair commandos on this board. God Bless America and may she always be free.

Not everyone who buys an AR is buying a gun for that purpose.

Bushmasters and DPMS guns are very fine range guns and if called on for a SHTF scenario will still spit out bullets. Hopefully no one finds themselves in a situation that calls for throwing a thousand rounds or more downrange.

That is all. :)

Frog48
December 4, 2008, 03:25 PM
Instead of talking up your asses, run 10 of your Bushmasters against 10 Colts on a 3k carbine course and see what the failure rates of each are.

And while you're playing around with your Colt at a cute little carbine course, I'll be out serving warrants with my Bushmaster.:neener:

Timradcliffe345
December 4, 2008, 03:30 PM
And while you're playing around with your Colt at a cute little carbine course, I'll be out serving warrants with my Bushmaster.

Then I truly hope you have a Colt in your car as backup when, not if, the Bushmaster fails. :neener:

And on a more serious note, what kinda budget does your LE dept. have to not issue GTG gear?

Trempel
December 4, 2008, 03:45 PM
Seriously?:rolleyes:

seeds76
December 4, 2008, 04:11 PM
I thought that chart was considered VERY outdated? Many AR15.com posters have told me that recently.

Trempel
December 4, 2008, 04:14 PM
Yeah. It also changes every time.

againstthagrane
December 4, 2008, 04:31 PM
the chart is total garbage.

i have a dpms and the chart with dpms on it states that they don't stake the gas keys or have m4 feedramps and i have both on my rifle. i can provide photographic evidence if the masters at colt will allow timradcliff to view such blasphemy.

flyboy1788
December 4, 2008, 04:42 PM
againstthegrane: the chart does not say that DPMS doesnt stake the BC, it just says it doesnt do it properly IIRC. as far as m4 feed ramps, many people are confused as to what that is. I have seen time and time again where someone makes a post (including a picture) of what they think is m4 ramps, and it turns out they're wrong. All ARs have feed ramps, not everyone has m4 ramps. M4 feedramps is when the ramps are extended into the aluminum upper reciever of the weopon, whereas the non m4 feedramps are entirely incorporated on the lug area of the barrel. Im not going to completely discredit you, but you are the first person who has a DPMS with m4 feedramps that I have heard of. That being said, I think m4 feed ramps are waaaayyyyyy overated/useless in semiautomatic weapons, even more so with the invention of the beloved Pmag(this seems to have resolved previous feeding problems that worn out GI mags encountered).

Frog48
December 4, 2008, 04:50 PM
To get back to the OP's question...

Someone is selling a brand new one for $1000 ..

To buy or not to buy is the question..

DPMS makes good guns, and the Sportical is nice. At first glance, I'd say that $1000 is way too high. However, in light of the post-election circus, it very well could be that $1000 is the going rate for that model... or maybe not. I dont know.

My point being... take your time, shop around, and determine what is a fair price. Dont significantly overpay just because you're in a hurry.

Bartkowski
December 4, 2008, 05:01 PM
Instead of talking up your asses, run 10 of your Bushmasters against 10 Colts on a 3k carbine course and see what the failure rates of each are. I can't believe how ignorant some people are. It is a disgrace

When you go ahead and do this, and provide evidence that the colts will last longer maybe I would consider believing you. Until then stop talking like you know everything.(you have made if very clear that you no almost nothing) Futhermore, not many people use their AR's for shooting thousands or rounds at some training course or competition. And if they did there are better options than colt.

And it is clear that from your previous posts that you have some strange liking of colt products. I seem to remember you asking if colt made the best 1911's in the past.

Also, after a quick look through your posts you didn't even know the going price of a colt, or if they were "decent AR's". Here is the thread http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=409014

jpwilly
December 4, 2008, 05:26 PM
You won't find many actual owners of DPMS built rifles who find them to be sub par...just a few armed with a chart made back in the 90's :neener:

flyboy1788
December 4, 2008, 05:49 PM
jpwilly maybe you didnt look hard enough. Go to arfcom and you will find plenty. as for the chart being from the 90s, its simply not true. all you have to do is look at it once to see that charles daly is on there and you will realize that it has been updated in the past 6 months because CD just started making ARs about six months ago. And as for Timradcliffe345, i find it funny that Bartkowski called out your lack of knowledge and showed everyone that you basically just figured out what is what by posting that link of yours where you ask if "the [colt] 6920 is a decent AR". Then here you are just a few days later talking like you know what is going on. Why dont you listen more and post less. BTW: just because an AR is made bushmaster doesnt mean its going to fail, and owning a colt doesnt mean you wont ever have problems. By saying things like that, you keep proving how misinformed you are. In general though, some are better than others especially when it comes to quality control and consistency. But I would hesitate to call everything besides Colt/LMT/Noveske complete crap...especially when one is as new to ARs as you obviously are.;)

jpwilly
December 4, 2008, 05:54 PM
flyboy1788, actually if you had looked at the chart DPMS isn't even on it! :uhoh: LOL...I've just seen 1 too many charts here - I'm tired of them! :cuss:

flyboy1788
December 4, 2008, 06:00 PM
DPMS used to be but there are like 20 different versions of the damn thing, but believe me i dont put the chart on a pedestal, I just think it is a convenient document that shows you what is what and from there you determine what features are important to you and thus it helps with your decision making. Some people do get to carried away with it thinking it automatically means left side of the chart=perfect and middle and right side=complete junk. I know plenty of people with "lower tier" bushmasters that have ran flawlessly and I know people who have had colts that have goofed up. my post wasnt intended to bash dpms or offend anyone fyi, i was just pointing out what I have seen/noticed:)

jpwilly
December 4, 2008, 06:04 PM
DPMS used to be but there are like 20 different versions of the damn thing

I can tell by your tone you don't much like DPMS LOL! What AR you shooting?

Dday
December 4, 2008, 06:19 PM
NC-Mike, thanks for the thumbs up on my Sig purchase. I have to tell the truth, it shoots so well and proved so superior that I went ahead and added a second one to my cabinet. The first is the used SWAT that I picked up, #2 is a brand new OD Green Commando. If the sh*t ever hits the fan, I intend to reach for a Sig... Mud, sh*t or blood, the Sig truly has proven to be " To Hell And Back Reliable".

flyboy1788
December 4, 2008, 06:49 PM
I can tell by your tone you don't much like DPMS LOL! What AR you shooting?

I meant there are 20 different versions of the damn chart. I have a smith and wesson m&p 15A, and I now have BRD very badly because of it:evil:. I am a poor college student so i can only afford one AR tho:(

Vaulter98c
December 4, 2008, 07:38 PM
Aww, troll is gone now, doesnt want to play anymore? I was gonna tell him that I just got done with a 800 round target shoot/ semi torture test, and my Bushy held up as well as anything Ive used in the military. (It was cheaper to shoot than buy empty brass lol)

Anyways, about that sportical, buddy of mine got one, and he can chew threw wolf with no problem. Id not try that in my rifle but to each their own. I was at a shop last week (same shop I got my AR from) and the price was up from 700 to 900 now, so the Obama squeze is starting to set in.

NC-Mike
December 4, 2008, 07:53 PM
Bartkowski

When you go ahead and do this, and provide evidence that the colts will last longer maybe I would consider believing you. Until then stop talking like you know everything.(you have made if very clear that you no almost nothing) Futhermore, not many people use their AR's for shooting thousands or rounds at some training course or competition. And if they did there are better options than colt.

And it is clear that from your previous posts that you have some strange liking of colt products. I seem to remember you asking if colt made the best 1911's in the past.

Also, after a quick look through your posts you didn't even know the going price of a colt, or if they were "decent AR's. Here is the thread http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=409014

http://homepages.slingshot.co.nz/~bites/Owned-shaved%20head.jpg

My apologies to Timradcliffe345, I couldn't resist doing that. :)

NC-Mike
December 4, 2008, 08:08 PM
Dday

NC-Mike, thanks for the thumbs up on my Sig purchase. I have to tell the truth, it shoots so well and proved so superior that I went ahead and added a second one to my cabinet. The first is the used SWAT that I picked up, #2 is a brand new OD Green Commando. If the sh*t ever hits the fan, I intend to reach for a Sig... Mud, sh*t or blood, the Sig truly has proven to be " To Hell And Back Reliable".

I paid 1,300 for mine about 9 months ago. It came with just the back-up folding sight. I figured that for a decent price back then. With the way things are going right now, I imagine you can find Sigs going for close to 2K on Gun Broker now. :scrutiny:

As far as the Sportical going that high right now... well we are in the midst of a panic like no other in that past 10 years, save for the original AWB. It is what it is. Everyone who wants something now is going to have to ask themselves the question of whether the asking price is worth the risk of not being able to get what they want later.

I have 2 Bush Master rifles and when I saw things going south a couple months ago I bought a DPMS AP4 upper from Cheaper than Dirt that was on sale for 399.00. Found a assembled DPMS lower for 205.00 and figured it was fate so I bought it and put the rifle together. I like it a lot. I've only had it out twice and put 125 rounds through it but it hasn't hic-cupped yet. Its not a chrome-lined barrel but that really isn't important to me. DPMS makes a good rifle.

What are the Century Sporters going for now? See any of them around? I bet not...

againstthagrane
December 4, 2008, 08:24 PM
flyboy....this is how my rifle came from the factory.

http://triton.imageshack.us/Himg131/scaled.php?server=131&filename=dsc00984jj9.jpg&xsize=578&ysize=480

as you can see the grooves are cut into the UPPER making them M4 RAMPS. since you're an expert, you probably already knew that.

http://triton.imageshack.us/Himg354/scaled.php?server=354&filename=dsc00987lj1.jpg&xsize=578&ysize=480

not pretty, but definitely properly done...

let this be a lesson to you, don't believe everything the interweb fanboys tell you.

lesson number 2...just because YOU haven't seen it, doesn't mean they're not out there.

NC-Mike
December 4, 2008, 08:51 PM
My DPMS has a better stake job than my Bushmasters but it doesn't have M4 ramps.

Evenflo76
December 4, 2008, 08:58 PM
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/SearchResults.asp?SearchType=0&Keywords=sportical

Like I said before. Don't overpay. and don't listen to college students either :neener:

Pay less = smile more :D:D

NC-Mike
December 4, 2008, 09:10 PM
None of those auctions are over yet. Search the completed auctions.

One was sold yesterday for 875.00 and a couple didn't meet the 999.00 reserve and went unsold. And one did sell for 999.00.

Looks like folks are looking for that 1,000 price tag.

I'd look long and hard before I paid it. Hell I just checked Classic Arms. He still has the Century Sporters AR15-C in stock for $719.95

I go that way in a heart-beat if they really want 1,000 for the Sportical. At least the Century rifle has sights on it...

For another three hundred dollars you could probably buy a used A3 upper on AR15.com and have two configurations for the same price. :)

Cesiumsponge
December 4, 2008, 09:19 PM
Timradcliffe345

Timradcliffe345I am able to buy a NIB COlt 6920 for $1450, is that a fair price? I need to know soon whether or not I should push ahead with this. Is the 6920 a decent AR?

Timradcliffe345 Looking at a DPMS lower. What is ya'll's opinion of the DPMS lowers? Thanks.
Hey dude, where do I sign up for the express crash course on becoming an industry expert? I want to belittle people too and I don't want to wait years to gain practical experience.

FlyinBryan
December 4, 2008, 09:22 PM
:neener:

nc mike, that pic is great man. i bout fell out when i saw it, then when i put ratcliffs name to it in my head,,,,imagining him reading barts post and linking him to the colt questions from just a week ago,,,,,,,,just wow man. wow, lol.

it cracks me up to see the pickup truck commandos fumble the ball like that.

ive only had 2 brands of ar15. a colt 6700c match target rifle and a bushy hbar shorty.

of those 2 the bushy is hands down a better rifle.

better fit (no need for the accuwedge that the colt came with)

more accurate (which is crazy since its a 20" 10lb target rifle vs. a 6lb 16" rifle. and im not talking just a little more accurate, im talking 1.75-2.00 vs sub moa)

see this thread, post number 8.
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?p=5088537#post5088537

and more reliable (the colt didnt jam much, but the fact is the bushy never has, not once, ever, through 5000+ rounds)

so i dont argue when the weekend commandos that rag on it and all the others they dont own. i dont need their narrowminded opinions to tell me which is the best rifle ive ever owned.

original poster, if you want the dpms, go for it. ive seen many dpms rifles that were great runners and wonderfully accurate.

as far as the price, they have all gone up.

dont let the commandos talk you into spending more for a rifle that is no better or even worse than the one you have your heart set on.

Bowfishrp
December 4, 2008, 09:36 PM
$1000 bucks is way too much for the sportical....go buy a complete with all the bells and whistles for a lot less....yes you might have to wait a while but you will much happier than spending so much on a sportical.

Loomis
December 4, 2008, 09:38 PM
Get a DPMS lower. Then if you think you need to spend more money to keep from feeling like your rifle is cr@p, splurge a little on the upper and the magazines. I'm in the process of building two DPMS carbines from scratch. I'm seriously thinking about starting two more lowers using Superior Arms stripped lowers. THen putting some more expensive pre-assembled uppers on them.

Kino74
December 4, 2008, 09:46 PM
more accurate (which is crazy since its a 20" 10lb target rifle vs. a 6lb 16" rifle. and im not talking just a little more accurate, im talking 1.75-2.00 vs sub moa)

For a riflethat is suppose to have a good barrel according to the chart, Colts sure do have a tendency of getting outshot by so-called second tier brands.

FlyinBryan
December 4, 2008, 09:53 PM
For a riflethat is suppose to have a good barrel according to the chart, Colts sure do have a tendency of getting outshot by so-called second tier brands.

ya, i cant speak for all of them but my bushy has a way better barrel than my colt.

not saying the colt was a bad rifle. i loved it and at the time it was the best rifle i owned.

im sure it still would be if i hadnt bought my cr@ppy bushy.

(im so glad i did)

innerpiece
December 4, 2008, 09:57 PM
blah blah blah... that smae chart popped up in my thread, when I asked about two DPMS rifles...

so, wisely, I ignored it.
I bought a DPMS sportical a couple months ago.
coming from someone who owns and shoots one: its a great rifle! reliable, accurate as hell, lightweight and fun!

Ive got a thread going, documenting some of the testing I do with it. it is a great gun!

however, I got mine, with 3 mags, and a good-enuf red dot for a little over $800....
would I buy it again if I had 1k?! more than likeley, because Ive shot one and like it.. I also believe its a sad day when you can put a price tag on a personal home defence weapon, especially if it happens to serve its purpose someday!

however, if you decide to buy it, please know yer gettin ripped off!

ip.

NC-Mike
December 4, 2008, 10:13 PM
however, if you decide to buy it, please know yer gettin ripped off!

Lots of that going on right now... That Century Sporter AR15-C Classic has for $719.95, a month or so ago sites were selling them for less than 600.00 I'm pretty sure I saw one place that had them for 545.00.

There is a GA auction for one right now at 1,100.00 :D

innerpiece
December 4, 2008, 10:20 PM
thats just sick. if people buy them, I shure hope they enjoy them!

PBinWA
December 4, 2008, 10:32 PM
I bought a Sportical about a month ago and it was only around $650.

$1000 is way too high. It is a very bare bones unit.

At the very least, you need to buy sights or scope it which will be another ~$100.

However, given the potential for another ban or some other bad stuff. That $1000 dollar gun "could" be worth more next year. ;)

NC-Mike
December 4, 2008, 10:33 PM
Well at least with a Century Sporter being on auction for 1,100 you wouldn't be the biggest mark if you did pop for a Sportical for 1,000 :D

"Sportical"

For some reason, that name grates on me a lil bit. :p

Loomis
December 5, 2008, 12:21 AM
IT's a dumb name.

FlyinBryan
December 5, 2008, 12:38 AM
IT's a dumb name

whatever you do, dont replace the "spor" with "tes"

thats why the "ticle" part seems uncomfortable to say.

atlanticfire
December 5, 2008, 01:29 AM
I know it’s off topic but could some one find the site hosting that stupid comparison sheet and delete it. I'm tired of the noobs using it to justify buying colts.:banghead: Oh and yeah, thats way to much for that DPMS.:rolleyes:

flyboy1788
December 5, 2008, 01:29 AM
Against the grane: i would like to point out that I said:Im not going to completely discredit you, but you are the first person who has a DPMS with m4 feedramps that I have heard of. in my original post. When I say im not going to completely discredit you, it means im giving you the benefit of the doubt because I am NOT an expert, and you very well might be right, and according to your pictures you were. I was just telling you what I have seen and read. No need to get angry about it. We are all on the same side now...arent we;)

4Freedom
December 5, 2008, 01:45 AM
Wow.. Sorry I am a newbie.. I read all the replies to this thread and now I feel confident that buying a DPMS Sportical for $1000 is a rip-off. I have seen a few on gunbroker for this price. Dunno, though.. We are having the most liberal, communist leader in the history of USA coming into power.

Well, I am no expert, since I am new, I go by word of mouth. However, people told me to stay away from Colts and Bushmasters and to stick with DPMS, LMT, maybe ArmaLites. One guy told me his Bushmaster had all kinds of problems with jamming or shoddy parts or something like that. Sorry, I am sure there is people here who would swear by their Bushmaster or Colt. Since I am a novice who never owned one of these guns, I can only go by what I read on websites and what people tell me.

Well, I am pretty set on DPMS Sportical, because it is lightweight and I have read it is well made and is very accurate and can easily be mounted with optics.

Yes, I did place a an order for a new one with an FFL and he will get it for me for around $650.00. But, I have to wait for 1-2 years and Mr. Hussein is going to be inaugurated quite soon. So is $1000 really a ripoff? I dunno.

Can people please tell me about the Sig? Do peope think Sig 556 is more accurate then DPMS AR15? If Sig's are over $2000, then you can forget it. I am on a budget, and the Obama prices really are killing me. The beauty of an AK47 I hear is that it is a cheap yet effective close range gun. Now they are selling AK's for over $1000. I mean, I don't think for the price of AK's, its worth buying a gun, that is supposedly crappy. It is funny to buy the same gun you can get in Romania for $100 which you will get here for $1000. I guess since AKs and ARs are becoming closer in price, ARs are the only real option. As for century brand stuff, I always thought they were bouttom of the line.. I did see the AR15 they were selling on Classic Arms, but I was told by sum local gun dealers to avoid ARs from Century. Do people think trying to get an AR10 and AR15 from LMT would be a better option than DPMS? I was told ArmaLite is inferior to DPMS as well.

I am thinking buying individual parts is the way to go.. A local gun dealer says he will construct an DPMS AR15 AP4 Carbine 16 within the next two months and will sell it to me for $800. Well, I am thinking I may also just wait for that.. Damn, I am so confused..

Loomis
December 5, 2008, 01:50 AM
What did you expect?

You might as well go around asking people "which is better, ford or chevy?"

You know how that would turn out don't you?

FlyinBryan
December 5, 2008, 02:06 AM
I can only go by what I read on websites and what people tell me.

at some point you might consider trying things for yourself.

then maybe even forming your own opinions.

againstthagrane
December 5, 2008, 02:20 AM
We are all on the same side now...arent we?

"i've always wanted to say this: fer shizzle"
-dave chappelle

Trempel
December 5, 2008, 11:47 AM
4F, don't worry about being a newbie to this. Everyone was, at one point in time. And the thing about AR rifles is that the dozens of companies making them, as well as the hundreds of different configurations make things very confusing. It is true that some companies make their factory rifles to a higher standard, because they aim for the military and LE market. Requirements there are steeper, because the weapons don't sit in safes 360 days out of a year. It doesn't mean that all the others are crap. For 99% of shooters' recreational uses - range, home defense, and maybe a class or two, most ARs will be just fine.

Sure, you could drop coin on a NIB Colt 6920 right now, and if you could actually find one available, it would probably cost you over two grand. But then I'd hate to hear of someone who ends up not even liking the platform and being out of so much cash. On the other hand, you can theoretically spend less on a RRA, DPMS, Bushmaster, etc. and then adjust the rifle to suit your needs. I say theoretically, only because right now anything AR related is overpriced. Let me clarify - it's overpriced compared to just a little over a month ago, but there's absolutely zero guarantee that the demand and the prices will fall. A $700 MSRP, bare bones AR of a month ago is $1000 now, could become $1500 on inauguration day, $2000 on a day when some BS is proposed in the House, and extinct on the day when that BS becomes law. You never know.

Bottom line is this - it's not the greatest time to just be testing the waters of the AR pool. As a matter of fact any EBR pool, since AK, FAL, HK related stuff is in the same state also. Parts, ammo, mags, whole rifles are all scarce right now and newbs don't have much in the way of making a choice. In classifieds and on auction sites things sell after barely hitting the market. My personal advice, which is worth exactly what you paid for it, is this - figure out what you could spend, find a deal that you think is okay and go with it. Any name brand AR manufacturer will be fine for a first rifle purchase. The only names I'd really stay away from are Hesse, Vulcan, Blackthorne, Velocity Firearms, which are all the same company anyway and Century. I'd also stay away from rifles with polymer lowers as a first purchase.

SHvar
December 5, 2008, 01:16 PM
Dont research only in internet forums. There are many who will lie about brands other than what they like, here and elsewhere. Get out and take a look for yourself at the actual weapons before believing the hype.
Believe me when you take a look at the actual rifles and check the accuracy of that chart you will find it to be wrong. Many of the rifles not given credit for certain features have them in reality.
If you want a very accurate AR then buy a DPMS. If you really are paranoid about what a few brand snobs claim then order yours with a chrome lined barrel. Also if you really are paranoid about needing a magnetic particle tested bolt, then you probably shouldnt be handling a firearm.
A DPMS sportical should be about 6.5 lbs or less. Even my lopro classic with its 1 inch thick heavy barrel only weighs 7.75 lbs.
Use common sense and pick the rifle you want.
Also have fun with it.

flyboy1788
December 5, 2008, 01:32 PM
:rolleyes:

againstthagrane
December 5, 2008, 02:48 PM
dpms offers chrome lined barrels. you just have to specify that you want it. it costs about $35 from the factory.

NC-Mike
December 5, 2008, 08:53 PM
FlyinBryan

whatever you do, dont replace the "spor" with "tes"

thats why the "ticle" part seems uncomfortable to say.

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g312/Mike____Smith/Miscellaneous/Smilies/bigthink.gif That might be it! :D

NC-Mike
December 5, 2008, 09:12 PM
If I were considering my first AR in this market environment, I would not hesitate a second and grab a Century Sporter while the prices are still somewhat sane.

The reviews on those rifles have not been bad, many have colt parts in them. The receivers are forged and they run.

IMHO, that rifle is an excellent introduction to the AR platform.

If you enjoyed reading about "DPMS 5.56 Sportical for $1000 - Should I Buy?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!