1911 for around $800, thinking about Taurus

PDA

MrIzhevsk
December 3, 2008, 11:49 PM
So my friend wants to get himself a full size 1911. He is looking into Taurus and has a spending range of around 800. I think he can get better for his money. Any suggestions?

If you enjoyed reading about "1911 for around $800, thinking about Taurus" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
S&W620
December 3, 2008, 11:57 PM
Colt XSE/WWII repro, Springfield "Loaded" model, Smith and Wesson, used Dan Wesson CBOB/Pointman, etc.

The list is endless.....

I'm not a fan of Taurus at all to be honest with you, especially if you have 8 bills to play with.

ZeBool
December 4, 2008, 12:23 AM
Yeah, a Colt 1991A1. I would never even consider buying a Taurus over a Colt. Does your friend also prefer Cobalts over Corvettes?? :confused:

FoMoGo
December 4, 2008, 12:34 AM
Does your friend also prefer Cobalts over Corvettes??
Bad comparison... the quality is the same and they even share some of the same crap interior pieces... :D

Jim

Beagle-zebub
December 4, 2008, 01:21 AM
Heck, if you take "about $800" to encompass prices modestly above $800, you could get a NEW Dan Wesson, or even an STI Trojan.

The STI Spartan might be something he'd want to look at. Someone on GunsAmerica or wherever (I forget who) sells Dan Wessons with indiscernable cosmetic flaws for something like $750.

gunfanatic90
December 4, 2008, 01:29 AM
ParaUSA are an supurb choice

http://www.para-usa.com/new/product.php

Bill_G
December 4, 2008, 07:15 AM
get a Springfield Loaded.

coney_hatch
December 4, 2008, 08:07 AM
Springfield or Para. Even a Colt (not that 1991 junk), but a nice Series 70 or 80 can be had for $800.

doglb
December 4, 2008, 08:19 AM
Well I just picked up the Taurus PT911 after researching and reading thousands of threads-
I paid a little under $500 for the package and am satisfied with what I recieved.

The PT1911 has functioned perfectly. After 6 boxes of ammo-no a single problem. Plus I have the extra cash to buy more ammo. :D

Its my workhorse, for its purpose its what I need.

Walkalong
December 4, 2008, 09:00 AM
You can get a Kimber for that.

rduckwor
December 4, 2008, 09:02 AM
Friends don't let friends buy Taurus 1911's.

RMD

Olympus
December 4, 2008, 09:31 AM
Friends don't let friends buy Taurus 1911's.

You obviously don't own one. Do a search on here for posts about the Taurus 1911 and you'll find a lot more positive things said about it than negative.

I own one and I can't be more pleased with it. I have the blued version and the only thing I don't care for it is the poor finish. As far as reliability and accuracy, I'd put it up against a Springfield any day. For a first gun in the 1911 style, I'd say it should be very close to the top of the list. If you've already got other 1911s then I'd pass on it. But I absolutely love mine and I bought a set of custom grips and took the cheap black plastic ones off. It makes it look like a high end pistol.

But if you're looking for something around $800 then Taurus probably isn't your best option. With Taurus, you can get a blued model for around $450 and a stainless for close to $600. But for $800 you can get into some Kimbers or Colt Gold Cups used.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
December 4, 2008, 09:35 AM
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=409874

shiftyer1
December 4, 2008, 09:59 AM
You should be able to find a kimber in that price range. A sprinfield should run about 500 and you got 300 left to trick it out.

tinygnat219
December 4, 2008, 01:08 PM
800 for a 1911? You have many many choices. Particular among them the RIA, Springfield Mil-Spec, Colt, some Kimbers, and even STI.

I wouldn't even consider the Taurus in this purchsing option. If your budget were 500, it's worth considering and then re-considering because it's a Taurus.

ZeBool
December 4, 2008, 01:21 PM
"Springfield or Para. Even a Colt (not that 1991 junk), but a nice Series 70 or 80 can be had for $800."

Last time I looked, my 1991 had "series 80" stamped on it. Nor has it been anywhere remotely near "junk".

presspuller
December 4, 2008, 01:34 PM
When I was shopping for a Springfield Loaded Stainless I ended up with a Kimber II stainless for less money. Adjustable sights were the only thing I felt I gave up and the thing is dead on so that didn't matter.
Anyways, I got it for less than 8 bills about a year ago.

Olympus
December 4, 2008, 01:42 PM
I wouldn't even consider the Taurus in this purchsing option. If your budget were 500, it's worth considering and then re-considering because it's a Taurus.

I'd come a lot closer to considering a Taurus than I would a Rock Island like you suggested. RIA are cheaper than the Taurus and you can tell by looking, you don't even have to pick one up first. At least with the Taurus, you get a lot of the higher end options. As I've said, the finish on my Taurus isn't anything to brag about, but it was showing some white dots on in the finish that would not come out. I called Taurus and they paid for all the shipping and either reblued or put a whole new slide on my gun. Their customer service was just fine in my opinion. But the finish I've seen on the RIA reminds me of a bad parkerizing.

But the main theme that everyone has been saying is that if you're looking to spend $800, set your sights a little higher than a Taurus. Kimbers are beautiful guns as well as some of the higher end Springfields. I'd also consider some of the Para-Ordinance ones. I don't know if you want the full size 1911, but I absolutely love the little Springfield EMP.

geronimo509
December 4, 2008, 05:51 PM
para ord. Gun Rights Model is highly recommended. just over 800 and well worth the cost

ZombieKiller
December 4, 2008, 05:58 PM
get a rock island armory, then with the rest of the money buy ammo, lots of it

CoRoMo
December 4, 2008, 06:39 PM
I agree. There are quite a few better options.

My .02 goes with...
Para
or
Springfield

JaxNovice
December 4, 2008, 07:43 PM
I am a relative 1911 newbie but I thought Para's were scoffed at for poor quality?

SKM&P9
December 4, 2008, 08:50 PM
Para's quality is up there. I believe the issues were with their "north of the border " customer service. Either way, they make some gorgeous guns.

MrIzhevsk
December 4, 2008, 10:08 PM
Ok so I think he's pretty much settled on a Springfield Armory "loaded" model. Is it possible to get it with Novak sights? Or does it come with dove-tail sights that are adjustable?

BlindJustice
December 4, 2008, 10:49 PM
Without being prejudiced by the rest of the answers
to your question, my first response is

WIth an $800 Budget why on earth consider a Taurus?

I bought a S&W 1911 5" Bbl. stainless steel
it has Novak low mount carry three dot sights,
and the company has one of the best ratings in terms
of customer service

Springfield Armory loaded or a Mil SPec with accessories
offer more quality and customer service as well.

I'll go read the thread now.

heck you could get a Colt of various flavors with
that budget

Randall

gglass
December 4, 2008, 11:01 PM
Taurus = Brazilian Junk

Springfield Loaded = USA Sweetness

When I think of countries known for high-precision build quality, I think of Switzerland, Japan, Germany, Austria, USA and most of all Brazil... NOT! :rolleyes:

The guy who said "friends don't let friends buy Taurus" took my line.

BlindJustice
December 4, 2008, 11:08 PM
SOrry my S&W 1911 was $720 & $20 S&H + $35 transfer.
and adjustable rear sight would have been $48
more

PM me if you want to know where to get one at that price.

or shop for a Colt 70 Re-intro at Buds

or someone oughta have an online site for
an SA Loaded

Or as some have suggested an
RIA Tactical, with Novak style dovetailed sights,
beavertail grip safety, cmdr style hammer
and a good trigger runs yah around $500
buy a quallity Milt Sparks holster and belt and
some WIlson Combat Mags and you're still under
budget. Advanced Tactical in Nevada gives
good dcustomer service for RIAs. I don't recall
many posts at all about good results from Taurs
Customer service.

Randall

FoMoGo
December 5, 2008, 12:50 AM
Advanced Tactical in Nevada gives
good customer service for RIAs. I don't recall
many posts at all about good results from Taurs
Customer service.

Randall
I have personally seen Ivan, the Advanced Tactical rep, see someone post an issue with their RIA on m1911.com... and he will contact THEM about finding out the issue, fixing it, making it right.
I honestly know of no other company that goes out of their way to make happy customers like they do.
That is why I bought a RIA Match.
Picked it up for $500, beavertail safety, commander hammer, handfitted slide/frame, match barrel,... the same as the STI spartan... fiber front sight, LPA adjustable rear, and one of the sweetest triggers I have felt on a 1911. And bought my wife a High Standard Compact Crusader for $430... officers model with bull barrel, novak sights, extended ambi safety... Advanced Tactical does the warranty on that one also.

Jim

zammyman
December 5, 2008, 01:10 AM
The Taurus 1911's are ok guns, but they don't have the lifespan a 1911 should.. for not much more get a Springfield or Kimber...

ZombieKiller
December 5, 2008, 01:27 AM
Taurus PT1911s are not as bad as some people claim they are. But, they are definitely not worth 800. I have one that I picked up for under 700, and even then I thought I paid a little too much. Either buy 2 rock island armorys and go john smith (bruce willis) on people, or buy a really nice colt.

MikePGS
December 5, 2008, 01:27 AM
Taurus = Brazilian Junk

Springfield Loaded = USA Sweetness
Maybe you should look into where Springfield's are made :neener:

againstthagrane
December 5, 2008, 02:40 AM
i had one, worst gun i've ever owned. FTF, front sight was way off and i could never get it right because the dovetail was cut crookedly into the slide. WEAK finish. horrible incomplete checkering. just a horrible gun.

zignal_zero
December 5, 2008, 05:28 AM
i'm not sure if it matters to you, it did to me, (unless i'm mistaken) Springer's dont' have firing pin blocks.

tipsovr
December 5, 2008, 07:59 AM
For the money the Taurus PT 1911 is not a bad deal. For right around $500 you get the pistol with a lot of the higher end features. The finish just sucks on the blued models. Is this going to be a safe queen or a carry weapon? Just think how many mags and extra ammo you can buy with the left over $300.

Now if you have the extra money to blow, buy all means, by one of the "better" named 1911s. Then you get to spend all the extra money, above the cost of the pistol, on mags and ammo. My Tarus goes bang every time I press the trigger. Never had one hick up with it.

Good luck! I hope you get what you like.

Olympus
December 5, 2008, 09:54 AM
Maybe you should look into where Springfield's are made

:D :cool:

gglass
December 5, 2008, 01:28 PM
Yes, yes... I like most who collect 1911's know that most of the Springfield M1911's are built on Brazilian components by Imbel. And, the XD's are Croatian. I should have been a lot more specific in my response.

To be specific... One should work with their local dealer who can alert them when one of the US built models arrives... I did and can't be happier with the quality of my Springfield.

Excuse me.

RogersPrecision
December 5, 2008, 03:52 PM
LOL!
gg got (pwoned)? hard!
Whats that cyberspeak mean anyways?
:)

boldkharma
December 5, 2008, 03:59 PM
Taurus = Brazilian Junk

Springfield Loaded = USA (Assembled) Sweetness (Brazillian parts)

Colt= 100% made in the USA since 1911 :)

P.S. Yes, I am a Colt snob. I have owned them all but only own Colt now.

Why buy a Taurus when you can buy one of these for 800.00?
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f102/Boldkharma/DSC01412.jpg

Drail
December 5, 2008, 04:05 PM
Springfield Armory. Nothing better for that price. If you demand US manufacture it will be considerably higher.

Frog48
December 5, 2008, 06:20 PM
Taurus makes a good gun mechanically, but the one thing that I cant get over is how they label them.

I could handle it if the logo was simply big, but they make them big and BRIGHT against the dark finish.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a244/SigEpGrant/Other/Taurus1.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a244/SigEpGrant/Other/Taurus2.jpg

Whats up with all the white lettering? It looks a bit obnoxious.

If they offered a model with subdued logos, I'd buy one.

Walkalong
December 5, 2008, 06:23 PM
For the money the Taurus PT 1911 is not a bad deal. For right around $500 you get the pistol with a frickin' lock in the hammer. I'll pass. My local FFL guy has a Kimber in his case for $750. It is easily worth the extra bucks. The Spartan is another good deal with a good rep. Springfield Mil-Spec= hard to beat for the money as well.

zignal_zero
December 6, 2008, 02:50 AM
Grant48- i could not agree more. the HUGE logo on a Taurus is really silly looking. however, you know all these descriptions you here on the news "subject had a silver colored revolver" or "black automatic". let him pull that out, and they'll be saying "subject armed with a PT 1911, blued, has a crappy finish" :)

Olympus
December 6, 2008, 09:14 AM
Whats up with all the white lettering? It looks a bit obnoxious.

The lettering on mine is gold. I might look white at a glance, but I put it under halogen and incandescent lamps last night just to make sure. I agree though, I'm not a big fan of the all the lettering on the slide. If the bluing ever gets wore bad, I'll have the letters machined off and have it reblued.

38 Super Auto
December 6, 2008, 09:34 AM
I agree with the Springfield, Colt, Para, and S/W 1911 suggestions. I chose a S/W DK 1911 over a Kimber for several reasons. The S/W reviews I read were very good and Sportsman Warehouse near my house was running a great price on it. The S/W is pure 1911 except for the external extractor. My rig has a sweet trigger and operates reliably.

Kimber makes some sweet stuff, but I had read their customer service was hit and miss. I know there are alot of happy Kimber owners out there, but I went with the S/W DK and I am happy with it.

j1979
December 6, 2008, 10:08 AM
Im gonna say Dan Wesson. I just got my PM9 and the fit and finish on this puppy is AWESOME. The slide to frame fit is PERFECT, there is zero space at all, it looks like one solid piece and slides as smooth as butter. Trigger is great too. Lots of custom parts too, and no MIM as far as I know. Get a PM7.

AR
December 6, 2008, 11:40 AM
For all of you saying Dan Wesson -- I've loved his revolvers, and heard good things about his 1911s -- but since being bought by CZ the lifetime warranty was reduced to 5 years. That doesn't necessarily mean that quality dropped, but it doesn't make me feel good either.

That was a deal breaker for me.

In my research I found that the best options for around that same budget was found in the SA "Loaded" model. Going a bit cheaper - any Taurus 1911 in Stainless was good (their finishes are notoriously bad, but the weapon is good). There are many more deals in the used market if that's an option.

JR47
December 6, 2008, 01:22 PM
Source, Bud's Gun Shop, 12/06/08.

Sig 19GS0001--------------------$907.00 delivered. (Cheapest listed Government size)

S&W 108282---------------------$731.00

Springfield GI PW9108LP----------$511.42

Colt M1991A1 01991--------------$743.00

Colt 1911 Re-issue O1970A1CS----$907.00

Colt New Agent O7810D-----------$914.00

Colt WWI O1918------------------$925.00

Kimber Custom II 3200001---------$738.41

Kimber Royal II 3200005-----------$870.12

Para Ordnance P14-PX1445RBH----$725.00

Para Ordnance Para-Carry CTX1345G $687.88

Taurus 1911 1911B----------------$540.00

Taurus 1911 w/rail 1911B1---------$563.00

Charles Daley Field EFS CDCR602---$488.00

There were zero STI weapons cataloged currently, and no RIAs.

Many people haven't the tools, or understanding, to modify their own 1911, so a gunsmith is necessary to work on any self-defense arm. The prices here are advertised as delivered to a local FFL. His charges will also have to be figured into the cost, in this case.

From the tempo here, and the 1911 forums, friends don't let friends buy Kimber. Colt is also coming under a lot of criticism for problems in current purchases, as is S&W. In other words, opinions are there that bash every brand. Take these opinions for what you paid for them. Examine the gun thoroughly PRIOR to buying any brand, then clean and inspect it after you get it home. If you find something amiss, DON'T shoot it, take it back. :)

mpc12
December 6, 2008, 05:42 PM
I bought a Kimber Tactical 2 Custom with a Marvel 22 conversion kit for 895. You can do much better with 8 bills.

wky46
December 6, 2008, 07:51 PM
$800 ? Thats easy- COLT!
All of us m1911 owners that don't have a Colt wishes he/she did.
Admit it:D

Phil

csay
December 6, 2008, 10:26 PM
+1 for the STI Spartan.

cerberus65
December 6, 2008, 10:37 PM
+1 on S&W 1911's

I got a 1911PD used for nearly 200 less than your limit.

JR47
December 7, 2008, 10:04 AM
To be specific... One should work with their local dealer who can alert them when one of the US built models arrives... I did and can't be happier with the quality of my Springfield.

Still at it, and still wrong. All SA models use Brazilian built frames and slides from IMBEL. We own two, a SS Champion, and a SS Loaded. They are nice guns.

I also own a pair of Series 80 SS Colts, one Government, and one Officers Model. They, too, are nice.

Similarly, we own a Charles Daley Field Grade 1911A1, a Star PD, and a Randall Service Model, one of the nicest production 1911s that I've had the pleasure to shoot.

I also own a 1911B Taurus. It is bone stock, with Taurus Bull grips. The lettering doesn't bother me, as I rarely take the time to read it while shooting. With over 5K through it as of today, it has been a faithful, reliable, and durable handgun. Quite accurate, too. According to many, it's impossible to buy a production 1911A1 that meets that criteria for less than $1000.

The Government Model Colt came from the factory with a dove-tail machined just a little loose for the factory rear sight. Does that mean that all Colts are bad?

The Loaded Government Model from SA was finicky about ammunition, ball ammo, for the first 200 rounds. WWB was NOT it's friend. Today, it runs perfectly. So, is the SA poorly fitted and finished, needing to wear all those badly machined surfaces to run properly? Not at all.

My friend (anecdotal story warning) has a S&W 1911 that wouldn't get four rounds off in a row. He was going to "send it back", because it was a "POS". Instead, I asked him to bring the gun over. He always used the same magazine for practice, keeping his second one for "carry" in his home. Guess what? The magazine follower was deformed from the factory. Believe me, he had never the mag apart in the 500 muttering, swearing, rounds that he had used to "break it in".

Now, if that had been a Taurus, the chorus would have wailed and lamented their bad QC. However, as it was a "Smith", he should have "sent it back", and "they'll make it right".

Rich Mountain Trading Co, a shop with a range near here, has had a Taurus 1911B as a range gun since they first came out a couple of years ago. He has no exact round count, but it's easily beyond 15K (according to the owner) with no repairs beyond a PM type recoil spring replacement. Somebody tell us again about durability problems.

QC in this business suffers because of the often unrealistic expectations of the buyer. How many of us have heard that the "thing won't hit where it's aimed", or "it won't feed Load XYZ, and that's what I want to use" as being a problem with the gun?

If you enjoyed reading about "1911 for around $800, thinking about Taurus" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!