XD or Glock for CCW

PDA

hadmanysons
December 4, 2008, 02:42 AM
I'm looking to get a great gun for my CCW that is really reliable, .45ACP, 10 or more mag capacity and popular enough that lots neat little accessories are available for them too. It's boiled down to these two.

I've held a XD and didn't like how freaking hard the slide was to lock back and how hard the bolt catch was to release. I mean hard. I'm not a big guy, weigh about a buck and a quarter.:)

I'm kind of skeptical of the whole safety in the grip thing that glock has got going on?

Opinions?

If you enjoyed reading about "XD or Glock for CCW" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
B BRI
December 4, 2008, 03:10 AM
I often carry my Glock 21 CCW, but I'm a big guy 6ft+ & 250lbs. It's not for everyone, but I love my 21 and carry it 90% of the time, unless it's 100 degrees out, then I switch to my Glock 19 which is a lot easier to hide. With a little creative cover the 21 isn't to bad to CCW - long tailed shirt over a t-shirt . . . and when it's warm enough to wear a big sweatshirt or jacket, it can disappear unless someone is REALLY looking for it. My entire family CCW's and one day my uncle was showing me his new Ruger LCP .380 and was shocked when I whipped out my Glock 21 and told him he was a little under-gunned.:D

biggiesmalls
December 4, 2008, 04:14 AM
i knew they're starting to do the ambi mag release, but man... glock has a grip safety like the XD now? i need to get with the times LOL

the only glock i have is a fullsize G22 so i can't say much about concealing the compact or subcompact, but i did have an XDsc that i had trouble concealing without printing. tried 4 different name brand holsters, both iwb and owb. just couldn't make it work. now i carry a fullsize kahr with no problems with a keltec backup sometimes. you're much smaller than i am so maybe you could make the XD work, but i just found it to be heavier than ideal. great accuracy though. i shot extremely well with it even with the factory trigger, and i'm pretty sure the slide lock and stuff will be lighter over time. good luck! i remember seeing some side by side comparisons between xd and glock. do a search or maybe someone will post it.

hadmanysons
December 4, 2008, 02:43 PM
My bad everyone. I'm stupid. I was looking at an XD while writing that. I mean't Glock double-action trigger, dual safety trigger thing.

And the XD grip safety.

My bad:o

possum
December 4, 2008, 04:54 PM
i love xd's. as well i am not a fan of glocks in any caliber than 9mm, so naturally i would pick and reccomned the xd. my xd service model has over 9100rds through it and i love it.

goose2
December 4, 2008, 07:16 PM
I have never owned a Glock, but currently own a XD 45 compact. The XD is one fine piece of weapon. I like it a lot to say the least.:D:D:D

CoRoMo
December 4, 2008, 07:35 PM
+1 possum.

I'll take the XD 45 all day over the glock, but I do prefer Glock 17s over most full size 9s. I don't own a glock, but own a XD 45 Tactical. Love full sizes. I just need to get quick at the controlled pairs out of this beast.

Dr_2_B
December 4, 2008, 08:26 PM
I have the G21 & G30. G21's just too big to CCW. But the G30 is awesome.

Marcus L.
December 4, 2008, 09:48 PM
The lighter and less bulky your pistol, the more likely your are to carry it especially in the hot summer months with light clothing. Have you actually tried tucking any of those pistols in your pants and tried them out to see if you can conceal it well with a good degree of comfort? If you lack confidence in your pistol's concealability, then there is a strong possibility that you will not carry it as often as you'd like and therefore may not have it when you need it. I know....been there, done that when I ran into someone I had arrested in the past when I was off duty and not carrying and things got ugly.

I'm going to tick a few off and recommend that you stay clear of the .45acp unless you go with a single stacked magazine. If you must have .45acp, there are a lot of single stacked models out there like the Sig P220 Compact, the Glock 36, and compact 1911s. Me? I'm 6'1, 235lbs, and have a waist of 34". I carry the Sig P239 9mm when I'm not on duty and have full confidence in it:

http://i480.photobucket.com/albums/rr169/sgalbra76/Guns001.jpg

It gives me a compact and well handling shooting package with a proven standard duty caliber.

76shuvlinoff
December 4, 2008, 10:04 PM
I do so enjoy shooting Sigs, get rid of the decocker and I'd probably own one. But being a lefty and having owned a few XDs (and shot a few Glocks) I voted XD.

ChCx2744
December 5, 2008, 07:19 AM
I was also in this dilemma a while back. I was debating on buying either a Glock 26 or Springfield XD 9mm Subcompact. The only reason I went with the Glock 26 is because a certain police distributor gives police discounts to LEO on Glocks for $399.00. I'd rather pay $100.00 less for the Glock than get the XD 9mm SC. I've heard the XD 9mm SC is a nice SD weapon though.

csay
December 6, 2008, 11:38 PM
Glock model 30 gets my vote.

Kevin108
December 7, 2008, 08:35 AM
I don't find XDs difficult to operate, maybe you should handle another gun as it sounds like the one you operated was somehow tainted. I do think the XDs have a smaller grip compared to the Glocks and you can get the XD Compact which gives you a full size and a compact pistol with one purchase.

Glocks are as safe as any gun. Grip safety is just a gimmick. Their finish is a lot tougher than that of the XD. You're not going to see holster wear or idiot marks on a Glock like you will on an XD. It's a lot easier to swap in different trigger setups on the Glock.

You can't go wrong with either, but I think Glock makes a superior product.

krs
December 7, 2008, 02:47 PM
I'm a little surprised to hear that someone finds an XD hard to rack too. Are they making a subcompact version, a 3", of the XD45, and was that the gun you tried?

(Shorter barrel/spring generally results in harder operation)

Is it a used gun that maybe someone oversprung, or sprung for a heavier load than storebought?

ZXD9
December 7, 2008, 02:55 PM
I'm an XD fan. I like the grip angle better and I like having the extra grip safety. One additional safety that doesn't really intrude on the function of the gun.

ConstantineJ9
December 7, 2008, 03:07 PM
Glock, Xd is nice but it's not going to beat Glock...it may come real close but!!! It won't beat it.

basicblur
December 7, 2008, 03:25 PM
Grip safety is just a gimmick.

Bet Plaxico wishes he'd had one! :D

Think it was Ayoob’s article “Can Semantics Get You Killed” that covered the XD trigger action/grip safety etc. Did a quick search and came up with this, which quotes from his article:
http://www.handguninfo.com/Archive/www.Pete-357.com/xddasa.htm
Ayoob has carried an XD all day tucked inside his pants WITHOUT a holster, yet he felt safe doing so because of the mechanical design of the XD. Most Glock fans, me included, would NEVER carry a loaded Glock without a holster. The grip safety is an excellent feature.
The grip safety also makes an XD a little safer than a Glock in situations where people use poor judgment by fumbling around trying to catch a falling pistol, or haphazardly picking a pistol up, or even not paying enough attention while handling a pistol and holstering it. Two user activated safeties are better than one.

Now a grip safety may not be for you, but to call it a gimmick…?

krs
December 7, 2008, 03:44 PM
Is the XD subcompact 9mm as small as a Glock 26, since the subject is broached in the thread? (and to try to get off the ballyhoo over Kevin's unfortunate remark)

ConstantineJ9
December 7, 2008, 03:51 PM
Well, I like the Glock shape better...not that it feels any better but the look of the desighn.

basicblur
December 7, 2008, 04:14 PM
Against my better judgment I’m gonna weigh in on this one.

Racking a slide is probably 90% technique and 10% strength? Remember how hard copy and pasting was first time you tried it? Yeah, I know it’s not the best comparison, but how many folks now wonder why they ever had trouble copy and pasting-seems like the simplest thing in the world.
I’m betting once you get the hang of it, you’ll feel the same way ‘but racking a/the XD slide.

Got a wide variety of guns from various makers, and I see little/no difference in slide operation on any of ‘em.

I’m not a Glock fan (but not a Glock basher) but the grip angle never worked for me.
You might want to hold both of ‘em and compare-I also like to pick out a target, close my eyes, and try to put the gun on target with my eyes closed as a quick way to see how naturally a gun points for me.
BTW, I’ve made this little test part of my training routine, as I find it helps in point shooting.

And when you’re looking for helpful info, avoid people who deal in superlatives like the plague!

EDIT:
Forgot to add-on an XD, you might want to consider a Pearce grip extender if you need somewhere to park your little finger!
One of my main CCW is and XD40SC with a Pearce grip extender-my backup magazines are the extended models with extra rounds. I figure if it ever gets to the point where you're going to need a reload, it might not hurt to have the extra ammo provided by the extended magazines?

Kevin108
December 7, 2008, 07:16 PM
Most Glock fans, me included, would NEVER carry a loaded Glock without a holster.

I wouldn't carry any gun just tucked in my waistband, but I have no qualms about carrying a loaded Glock with a Clipdraw. Most Glock owners I know would agree to that.

sniper7369
December 7, 2008, 09:22 PM
I carry a G30. It eats anything I put in the mag, more accurate than I am, and conceals VERY well in my IWB rig. I've always HATED the grip angle on the full size Glocks, but the 30 I really like, points well, and I shoot it just as well as my 1911s.
Nothing wrong with the XD 45 either though. I shot one and I liked it quite a lot, very accurate and also ate anything the guy fed it.
IMO you can't really go wrong either way.

chuckusaret
December 9, 2008, 09:20 AM
Of the guns I own, the XD40 SC is my favorite CCW. Hey, 1000's of rounds fired and it has never failed. I can't say that about my other guns.

shotgun12321
December 9, 2008, 09:34 AM
I guess it always depends on what fits your hand, I chose XD just because I bought one 2 months back and have shot probably like 600 rounds through it, no one FTF, FTE, etc.

willbrink
December 9, 2008, 09:49 AM
Where is the "neither" option? :uhoh:

Marcus L.
December 9, 2008, 10:16 AM
He isn't interested in those old fashion 1911s, Will. Just the modern polymer high cap .45s. :D

willbrink
December 9, 2008, 10:19 AM
"He isn't interested in those old fashion 1911s, Will. Just the modern polymer high cap .45s. "

Yet, there are far more then those two in that category also. :rolleyes:

HK,
MnP
etc

Marcus L.
December 9, 2008, 10:40 AM
What I think the author needs to consider is that if he decides to carry a full to mid sized double stacked .45 he will have to dress to carry. In order to ensure that it is properly concealed, he won't be able to wear what ever he wants when he wants. This means that he will restrict himself to not carrying as often as possible and reduces his chance of having it on hand when he needs it.

Snarlingiron
December 9, 2008, 11:54 AM
Just some food for thought regarding the grip safety.

http://www.shootingtimes.com/gunsmoke/miller_0730/

Scroll to the bottom and read the blue section regarding Charlie Miller's guns. Says a lot about grip safeties.

ar10
December 9, 2008, 12:26 PM
Buy what you want. There's nothing wrong with Glock, SW, XD's or any other handgun for that matter. A person who owns and shoots a particular rifle/handgun/shotgun is absolutely going to tell everyone his/her gun is better or more accurate. Asking things "which gun should I get" or "which gun is better" is like asking a bear where he likes to take a dump.

sniper7369
December 9, 2008, 01:25 PM
What I think the author needs to consider is that if he decides to carry a full to mid sized double stacked .45 he will have to dress to carry. In order to ensure that it is properly concealed, he won't be able to wear what ever he wants when he wants. This means that he will restrict himself to not carrying as often as possible and reduces his chance of having it on hand when he needs it.

Well, I carry my G30 24/7/365. It disappears under a T-shirt, hoodie, or Dickies work shirt when I carry in an IWB rig. I'm a pretty big dude though (6'2" 275) so what works for me may not work for everyone. I just wouldn't make a blanket statement that double stack .45s are difficult to conceal.

ar10
December 9, 2008, 02:11 PM
I'm a pretty big dude though (6'2" 275)

Well, all I can say is you wouldn't make an easy target. :D:D :what:

ChCx2744
December 10, 2008, 05:55 PM
Both are nice guns. If you are a LEO, I'd say Glock because of the price. You can get one here in GA at SPD for about $400.00 brand new, out the door.

skinewmexico
December 11, 2008, 01:42 AM
Yep, I'd say if one Texas Ranger didn't like grip safeties, they're all bad.

hags
December 11, 2008, 01:50 AM
Where is the "neither" option?

Where's the M&P 9 option?

A serious American made contender in this category.

Kansan
December 25, 2008, 01:22 AM
I was faced with the same decision and went with the XD45C, mostly based on feel. They are both good products... try both of them out and go with whichever feels better. OBTW, when I first got it, the slide and the slide release did seem outlandishly difficult to manipulate. After a few months, though, it became much easier... not sure if it "broke in" or if my technique got better.

deadhawg
December 25, 2008, 02:01 AM
My G30 has never had any kind of failure in about 5,000 rounds, is more than accurate enough for it's intended purpose, and fits my hand just fine.
I don't own an xd, but have fired one, and it worked ok and felt ok, but I just like the glock better. They are both good quality, reliable guns. Either one would be a fine choice for carry. Shoot them both and just get the one that fits YOUR hand and YOU shoot best.

PhillyGlocker
December 25, 2008, 08:18 PM
What happed to G19 or G26? You don't even have the best SD weapon in the world on there; the G19!

Ringer
December 25, 2008, 08:22 PM
I like my G19 but in .45 of the ones you list I voted XD. G21 is too big and G30 is too small. Now if the list could be expanded I'd vote S&W M&P, but thats me.

Doc_Jude
December 25, 2008, 08:32 PM
I second DeadHawg (post #37). Shoot both, handle both. See which one you like better.
Oh, btw, you CAN get after-market safeties installed on Glocks that WILL NOT void the Glock warranty.
http://www.tarnhelm.com/gifs/GlockSafetyLg.jpg
http://www.tarnhelm.com/GlockSafety.html

PS: I voted for my Glock 30SF.

crebralfix
December 25, 2008, 08:43 PM
I misvoted. I meant to vote for the Glock 21. The reason I don't like the Glock 30 is the way Glock designed the grip-magazine interface. Since the baseplate extends upward by one finger. I found that it slowed my magazine changes because I had to release one finger. Additionally, it was very easy to pinch my finger when inserting a magazine. I'm not sure what's worse: slow reloads or compromising my grip.

I'm not much on the XD's grip safety. Mess up your grip when drawing quickly and you'll get a "click" instead of a "bang".

Of the three choices, that leaves the Glock 21. The G21 is actually one baseplate shorter than the XD 45 (which translates into approximately 1/4"). Both guns are rather large and can be difficult to hide. You'll need lots of forward cant for your holster.

Since you have a 10 round requirement, you may wish to look at the XD 45 Compact. It holds 10 rounds and can use the larger 13 round magazines. It's approximately Glock 19 sized...a bit wider and about as tall. It's quite concealable and the barrel is 4" long. It may be the compromise you're looking for.

Doc_Jude
December 25, 2008, 08:46 PM
I misvoted. I meant to vote for the Glock 21. The reason I don't like the Glock 30 is the way Glock designed the grip-magazine interface. Since the baseplate extends upward by one finger. I found that it slowed my magazine changes because I had to release one finger. Additionally, it was very easy to pinch my finger when inserting a magazine. I'm not sure what's worse: slow reloads or compromising my grip.

Practice, Practice, Practice! Of course, 10 rounds of .45 should do the friggin' job, I would hope!

Ben86
December 25, 2008, 10:40 PM
First off I think that the g21 will be too big. The g30 is a good idea but an xd45 compact would be nice as well. I like the ergos on the xd45 so it got my vote. Regular .45 glocks feel like 2x4s with finger grooves in my hands.

ar10
December 26, 2008, 12:24 AM
I'm not much on the XD's grip safety. Mess up your grip when drawing quickly and you'll get a "click" instead of a "bang".

You won't even get a "click". I've found it difficult to even draw the gun w/o holding on to the grip. I think what most people fear with the XD's is once it's in your hand all that needs to be done is squeeze the trigger. There is no other safety. I don't think the XD is for the light hearted shooters.

crebralfix
December 26, 2008, 03:42 PM
The answer is not "practice..." with the G30. I used it for six months (weekly shooting session plus dry fire three times a week) and attended a two day handgun course with it in an attempt to get used to it. No dice...full length grips are just better.

The XD 45 is larger than the Glock 21.

If you enjoyed reading about "XD or Glock for CCW" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!