Need advice on 7 ultra barrel size and length..

PDA

Kamp34
December 4, 2008, 12:45 PM
I am new to this forum but thought I would join because it seems to be a very helpful place for information and a fun past time.

I am having a 7 Ultra Mag built and my question is what size of barrel would yall recommend? I am going to go with a Krieger. My gunsmith was kinda in the air about barrel size. He said he would go with either a 24" #4 or a 26" #3. I just want to make sure I am getting the right barrel for me and my needs and I know very little when it comes to building a rifle. Any advice or info is appreciated. Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Need advice on 7 ultra barrel size and length.." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Temp430
December 4, 2008, 01:03 PM
I would recommend the 26" barrel for that 7mm ultra magnum.

gvnwst
December 4, 2008, 01:03 PM
we need to know what your needs are. The barrel size is not dependant on caliber, but use.

What range?

Are you pplanning on carrying this
rifle for long distances?

Is it a target or hunting rifle and what kind of hunting/matches?

BTW, Welcome to THR!

Kamp34
December 4, 2008, 01:13 PM
Thanks for the welcoming and replies. I am glad to be here.

gvnwst, to answer your question this rifle will only be used for hunting not for a bench. I hunt mainly for whitetail in NW Texas where it is wide open which makes for long range shooting (well long range for me) out to 450yds. I will mainly be in a deer blind so I won't be walking much even though I do so from time to time. But I am also building this gun for future elk hunts, muley hunts or even a canadian whitetail hunt.

gvnwst
December 4, 2008, 01:24 PM
I would probably go with a #4 24", just for the future elk hunts, as the shorter barrel is nice for that. If you don't mind handeling the length, the 26" will give a bit more velocity, but not all that much. It also depends of your load. on the other hand, since you don't carry it much and you hunt from a stand, i am tempted to say a #4 26", but that gets heavy. Which would you rather have, a easier to handle gun, or more velocity? (which, with this cartridge, you aren't going to need it for 450yd)

Temp430
December 4, 2008, 01:43 PM
Does Remington manufacture a 7mm RUM with a barrel shorter than 26"? No. I wonder why?

Whatís the point of a 7mm RUM with a short barrel? If you donít need the extra velocity, get a 7mm Rem Mag or 280 Remington.

A 7mm RUM with a 26" barrel is just about ideal for elk hunting where a long shot, ~400 yards, is common.

Kamp34
December 4, 2008, 01:58 PM
I think after listening to yall and reading about this caliber I am probably going to go with the 26" barrel. I already have a .280 Ackley with a 25" and 7WSM with a 22" barrel. Temp430 I'm really not sure if I need the 7 Ultra but I sure like the feeling of holding a screamer and think it would be a good addition in my safe as well as future big game hunts.

gvnwst
December 4, 2008, 01:59 PM
temp makes a good point. I just looked at Kriegers site, and the #4 26" shouldn't be much more heavy than the #3 26". That is what i would get...
EDIT: you allready decided that.....

berettashotgun
December 4, 2008, 02:03 PM
The hardest caliber I ever tried to get under 1/2 MOA happened to be a spanking new 7mm RUM.
I bought almost every 284 bullet and had to build a powder chest - just to stay legal.:banghead:
Remington Sendero S.S. -fluted, and a 700 S.S with plastic darn near outsmarted me on getting accuracy.
Couldn't understand why the 7mm STW rifles I own shoot excellent - and were super easy to come up the right combo of bullet and powder.
Another poster asked a few questions, but left out the most important question ( to me ) _ WHAT twist?????
I'd stay away from anything less/slower than 1-9.25". But that's how I roll, anything that takes 90+ grains of H1000 begs for a heavy bullet (>162gr!!), and having a 'smith make you a rifle requires you to be proficient with the new toy - ah.... I meant tool, yeah... tool.
Better save up some coins for the looking glass, a rifle like your making looks better in some designer spectacles.

SimpleIsGood229
December 4, 2008, 09:49 PM
Welcome to THR, Kemp!

That 7mm RUM burns a lot of powder in that tiny hole, so I'd maximize the size of that little hole by going with a 28" barrel. If you want a shorter barrel, I'd suggest downsizing to the homely 7mm Rem. Mag.

Better yet, have your 7mm RUM built on a Ruger #1. That way, you can have a 30" barrel for the same OAL as a 26" barreled bolt gun.

killzone
December 4, 2008, 10:28 PM
Welcome to THR.

Well , 26" barrel is the intended lenght for the Rem Mag design ... Take that as your base... 26'' barrel should be you minimum choice:rolleyes:

dakotasin
December 5, 2008, 12:06 AM
I will mainly be in a deer blind so I won't be walking much even though I do so from time to time.

if i was building another 7 rum, i would most certainly build it as a 28" #4. your intended use underscores that.

If you enjoyed reading about "Need advice on 7 ultra barrel size and length.." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!