.357 dia 130 gr for 9mm

PDA

Claude Clay
December 4, 2008, 05:35 PM
i have heard good things accuracy wise in the 9 super with the ,357 dia.
anyone here have an opinion . i see .356 in all the loading manuals and the does .001 mean much with a lead RN bullet? add to pressure? thank you.

If you enjoyed reading about ".357 dia 130 gr for 9mm" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Walkalong
December 4, 2008, 06:54 PM
.38 Super?

If so, many are reported to have barrels over the standard .355 for 9MM. Mine shoot .355 and .356 jacketed bullets better than I can shoot, so I can't tell.

Some folks report better luck with the .356 jacketed bullets in their Supers.

You won't see any difference in pressures worth worrying about with a .356 vs .357 lead bullet in 9mm or .38 Super, and it may shoot better to boot.

Galil5.56
December 4, 2008, 07:18 PM
It all boils down to groove diameter. I posted in an earlier thread about my intent to load 125 grain .357" Hornady XTP jacketed bullets for my 9mm. I'm sure a reflexive "that's too big" consensus will result, but why? I did my homework and found my barrel has a groove diameter of .3572", so all is fine. I routinely shoot .358"-.359" cast bullets I make, and they work well with easy chambering when seated to the correct OAL.

Nominal diameters are just that, so if you want the best fit you have to find it for yourself. Ironic, but from what I have read it's only American made 9mm barrels that stick to barrels that benefit from .355" jacketed/.356" lead bullets. Start checking a few Euro made/Euro spec 9mm's reveals that a .356"/.357" groove diameter and even larger is the norm. My bullets just got here yesterday, so off to the bench, my backyard range, and see if that dog will hunt.

Remo-99
December 4, 2008, 07:27 PM
It may have a tendency to give slightly higher starting pressures, by using a bullet one thou bigger dia, only really a concern if your loads are running right up near maximum levels.

Lead bullets are usually sized at ~0.001" larger than copper jacketed, to allow them to be custom sized in the barrel of any particular gun.

When using lead bullets, I like them to be a bare 'minimum' of one thou over the groove dia. and two thou even better.

Depending on what the groove diameter of the gun, it may be even around ~.3555, in that case it would only be 0.0015" difference with the .357" bullets.

That would further reduce the chance of the hot gases blowing by the bullet during firing, which causes leading and poor accuracy.

With the option to compare .357" bullets against .356" I would be willing to try them.

Watch for chambering issues though, as it may prevent the gun fully locking after many rounds, once carbon/soot starts building up in the chamber etc. (with guns that may have a 'tight' chamber to begin with.)

Make a few dummy rounds, to check chambering etc, before loading up large batches.

fecmech
December 4, 2008, 08:05 PM
Two of the three 9mm's that I have owned in the past couple years had .357 and .3575 groove diameters. From posts on the cast boolit board 9mm's are all over the place as far as groove size. If you are shooting lead out of a nine you would be wise indeed to slug your bore and size .001 larger.

rfwobbly
December 5, 2008, 12:25 AM
Let me second Remo. I shoot 130gr .355/6 plated in my CZ without issues.

If you enjoyed reading about ".357 dia 130 gr for 9mm" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!