Protective coating on WW's

PDA

thodge
December 4, 2008, 11:53 PM
When melting WW's, Anyone know if the protective coating on some WW's have an effect on the finished product?

If you enjoyed reading about "Protective coating on WW's" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
janobles14
December 5, 2008, 12:13 AM
everything burns off after you flux. zero effect on ingots or boolits

evan price
December 5, 2008, 02:30 AM
It's a powder-coating, and it burns off when fluxed.

ReloaderFred
December 5, 2008, 02:55 AM
Just make sure you're not melting zinc wheel weights into your alloy. Those are the ones that make a ringing noise when dropped on concrete, and are usually riveted to the steel clip. The zinc will ruin the alloy and you'll never get a good bullet from it.

If you keep your temperature below about 750 degrees, any zinc weights will float to the top and you can get them out of the melt.

Hope this helps.

Fred

rcmodel
December 5, 2008, 01:23 PM
Yep!
I would be very suspicious of any fancy wheel-weight with a color coating on it!

Heck, it might be off a drug dealers Pimp-Mobile, and be full of crack or something! :what:

But more likely zinc!

rcmodel

dagger dog
December 5, 2008, 08:01 PM
Most of the "coated" wheel weights I work with when balancing wheels at work are a plastic or clear laquer coating on the weights to keep the aluminum wheel coating from being scratched when the weights are hammered on the wheel.

The coated weights that I have smelted in the process of casting
bullet alloy ingots, lose that coating in the process and it's skimmed off during fluxing.

You find more of the zinc weights on the higher end European cars and most are confined to the weights that come from the factory or dealers. So if you're hitting up the new car dealers for their scrap weight be carefull on culling.

The aftermarket repair shops have less of the zinc weights .

I love the tape on soft lead 1/4 oz. segmented weights that most hot rodders use to balance their custom wheels. They use them because they can be hidden , taped to the inside of the wheel. So if you can find a shop that specializes in this type work, you have a real daisy, those weight smelt down real nice and the tape adhesive acts as a flux!

thodge
December 8, 2008, 12:42 AM
Thanks for all of your inputs

thodge
December 8, 2008, 12:52 AM
I plan to start making my own lead bullets this winter and would like any input on how cold is too cold to cast bullets outdoors. (Or does it really matter). Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Protective coating on WW's" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!