Online Poll: Should Minors Be Allowed to Use Guns?

PDA

WD_40
December 5, 2008, 02:41 PM
http://www.wfsb.com/surveypopup/news/17817391/detail.html?p=news

"Do you think minors should be allowed to operate a gun with parental consent and in the presence of a certified instructor?"

We're losing this one, but the gap is slowly closing. Go vote and spread the word!

If you enjoyed reading about "Online Poll: Should Minors Be Allowed to Use Guns?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Geneseo1911
December 5, 2008, 02:44 PM
I voted but...

Where is this station that this is even a question?! Hell when I was a minor, I operated several guns without parental consent or an instructor.

j_charles
December 5, 2008, 02:47 PM
Voted!

Yes=46%
No=54%

Hit it up!

JackOfAllTradesMasterAtNone
December 5, 2008, 02:49 PM
Voted..

Every state that has big game hunting allows this. How else do we pass on the hobby of shooting? The tradition of hunting with our kids? Teaching them to hunt and shoot? One of my teen boys shoots in Bullseye league once in a while, right along side adults.

Teens are allowed to drive cars, where they can certainly kill at any time. Why not allow them to shoot guns, 'supervised'.

Our children are the next generation to take care of us old farts. We need to be teaching them to be adults, well before they are adults.

-Steve

Smithiac
December 5, 2008, 02:50 PM
I believe I get channel 3 news in IL I wonder if this poll has anything with the story I heard on the radio yesterday. I guess somwhere at a gun show an 8yr old shot himself accidentally and died.

I voted and voted yes how else can someone build a respect and learn safe handling of a gun. You have to start them young.

General Geoff
December 5, 2008, 02:50 PM
The site is based in Connecticut. Probably related to the recent story about a boy shooting himself with an uzi.

Smithiac
December 5, 2008, 03:05 PM
Just posted this on two more forums maybe we can turn the tables

armedandsafe
December 5, 2008, 03:05 PM
46% to 54% right now.

Let's get it on the right side.

wfsb.com/surveypopup/news/17817391/detail.html?p=news

Cut and paste the link. Then put a "www. in front of it.

Pops

Smithiac
December 5, 2008, 03:06 PM
General Geoff,

That is the same story I head on the radio yesterday.

Brian Dale
December 5, 2008, 05:39 PM
48% to 52% now.

JWF III
December 5, 2008, 07:00 PM
50/50 now. Ahead by only 3 votes. 944 to 941.

Smithiac
December 5, 2008, 07:19 PM
its getting better we are now up by 1% lets keep it up.

KC0QGL
December 5, 2008, 07:21 PM
Yes 974 51%

No 941 49%

WERE WINNING

TCB in TN
December 5, 2008, 07:25 PM
Did my part.

jws527
December 5, 2008, 07:41 PM
The part to remember is that the legal definition of a "minor" is entirely arbitrary. I remember the day I turned 16, the day I turned 18, and of course the day I turned 21. At no point did I feel any differently than I had the day before. :)

Ultimately, this ought to be left to the parents' discretion, so I would naturally oppose any legislation which strips the parents/legal guardians of that power. If they feel that their child is mature and responsible enough to handle a firearm and both understands and accepts the potential consequences, then by all means...

Zoogster
December 5, 2008, 09:12 PM

SoCalShooter
December 5, 2008, 09:23 PM
Well it looks like we have turned the tables!!

BP44
December 5, 2008, 09:28 PM
53 yes
47 no

Cyborg
December 5, 2008, 09:39 PM
JackOfAllTradesMasterAtNone asked How else do we pass on the hobby of shooting? The tradition of hunting with our kids? Teaching them to hunt and shoot?
But on the other hand, if you wanted to get rid of those evil guns and you believed that animals were people, too, and you wanted to stamp out the barbaric anachronism of hunting, this might be a good tactic.

The left might be - in our estimation - out of touch with reality but they aren't stupid. If you eliminate hunting and target shooting, eventually you reduce the market for guns - if not eliminate it all together. Not a bad gambit. Why outlaw the things when you can raise a generation - or several - who have never been exposed to them and consider anyone who uses them to be a total wacko?

Remember, there're lots of ways to skin a cat and all of 'em are fun - except to the cat. ;)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cyborg
Burying your head in the sand only makes your a** a better target.

akodo
December 5, 2008, 10:05 PM
I voted but...

Where is this station that this is even a question?! Hell when I was a minor, I operated several guns without parental consent or an instructor.

This all goes back to the incident in the news were a little kid is killed in a freak accident when being allowed to fire a fully auto SMG.

Of course, it is being covered as 'bad evil guns are dangerous!'

http://www.boston.com/news/local/breaking_news/2008/12/police_chief_in.html?p1=Well_MostPop_Emailed6

compare that to this
http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/5-Year-Old_Dies_In_Freak_Horseback_Riding_Accident.html
"5-Year-Old Dies In Freak Horseback Riding Accident"

where is the outrage that a 'little child' is allowed to get on top of a

'unpredicatable animal weighing close to a TON, as much as 50 times the weight of a small child!;

'animals known to have killed grown men'

'animals which serve no purpose in modern day society! Too big and too unpredicatable for average people to own'

'Only Mounted Police should be allowed to own and operate these dangerous horses!'

Lone_Gunman
December 5, 2008, 10:16 PM
This all goes back to the incident in the news were a little kid is killed in a freak accident when being allowed to fire a fully auto SMG.

What makes you call it a "freak" accident?

A poorly supervised 9 year old shooting a full auto loses control and shoots himself in the head. I wouldn't call that a freak accident. I would call it an expected result.

XD-40 Shooter
December 5, 2008, 11:47 PM
Yes, I believe that minors should be allowed to shoot guns, with proper adult supervision, people that are well versed in safe gun handling.

Cuda
December 5, 2008, 11:54 PM
Yes 1167 55%
No 941 45%

C

JImbothefiveth
December 5, 2008, 11:56 PM
Quick question: I see things like this posted all the time.

What exactly is gained by winning?

Here's what I can see: They can't say "this number and that number of people support this supposedly reasonable law, which would ban the extremely destructive sniper assault rifle caliber known as "30-30".

No really, someone introduced a bill like that. :(

Odd1
December 5, 2008, 11:58 PM
I have to say, I think with parental consent and a certified instructor I think a minor could do about anything.

wyocarp
December 6, 2008, 12:24 AM
I put in my vote.

Smithiac
December 6, 2008, 06:08 AM
we are up with 56% of the vote now.

General Geoff
December 6, 2008, 06:20 AM
fifty years ago, the use of guns by minors WITHOUT direct supervision was commonplace.

The every existence of this poll disheartens me.

Harve Curry
December 6, 2008, 06:28 AM
Fifty years? Less then that. As a young teenager I was buying 22's at the local Circle K in 1970's Arizona, shorts were 25 cents and LR were 35 cents.

moooose102
December 6, 2008, 06:48 AM
well, i just voted, and we are not losing anymore. keep voting people, we NEED all the pro gun press we can get! it is to bad there was not a place for coments. i am sure a lot of anti's would have been outraged to hear my kids started shooting @ 3 years old! remember, a family that shoots together, has fun together!

Lone_Gunman
December 6, 2008, 07:55 AM
fifty years ago, the use of guns by minors WITHOUT direct supervision was commonplace.

The every existence of this poll disheartens me.

Don't be disheartened. This poll was placed as a result of a tragic accident where and unsupervised child (I believe he was 9 or 10 years old) was given a fully automatic weapon and allowed to shoot it. The child had no firearms training. He lost control of the weapon, and shot himself in the head and I believe died. So this is a very special situation that has led to this poll, and involved gross negligence on the part of the adults present. Involuntary manslaughter charges have been filed.

I would bet that 50 years ago when you were a child and shooting unsupervised that your dad had given you a lot of instructions before hand so you knew what you were doing. I also bet the first gun you fired was not a full auto.

rocinante
December 6, 2008, 09:13 AM
The Yes is winning but this poll is disheartening. parent AND certified trainer mumbo jumbo. Again as a preteen I was running around unsupervised with a 22 or 410 looking for rabbits and squirrels for the frying pan.

In the case that brought on the poll I do believe there was gross negligence and punishment has to be rendered. One of the facts that I love about the gun owning community is the sense of responsibility I see expressed over and over. Misuse the firearm tool for evil and the retribution and justice is swift and immediate with gunners. No psycho babble or freud or blaming 'society' for the actions of the individual. Some freak accidents can be forgiven but evil intent or plain stupidity is not. Smells right to me. I honestly think I would have no problem being a member of a firing squad. Anyone remember Gary Gilmore?

ShadyScott999
December 6, 2008, 10:05 AM
Anyone else remember getting the lecture on how to use a pocket knife? I think I was about 5. Got MY first gun at I think 6. Went straight out the door looking for rabbits, unsupervised. Circa 1977

The Bushmaster
December 6, 2008, 10:48 AM
What would you need a "certified instructor" for? That is kind of stupid if you ask me...There just isn't enough "certified instructors" to go around...

Lone_Gunman
December 6, 2008, 11:18 AM
What would you need a "certified instructor" for?

The advertisement for the event said certified instructors would be supervising the full auto shoot. They were not. They needed certified instructors because they advertised saying they would.

snipe300
December 7, 2008, 03:23 AM
63-37 our favor

possom813
December 7, 2008, 03:26 AM
Choice Votes
Percentage of 2578 Votes
Yes 1633 63%
No 945 37%

gvnwst
December 7, 2008, 10:15 AM
64-36 now.

ServiceSoon
December 7, 2008, 10:19 AM
Seems common place to loose rights/freedom because of a few incidents.

Enginetech88
December 7, 2008, 04:24 PM
65% and 35% when i just voted.

paul
December 7, 2008, 08:06 PM
Certified by whom?
p

mio
December 7, 2008, 08:11 PM
just voted 65-35 good guys

1858rem
December 7, 2008, 08:21 PM
Do you think minors should be allowed to operate a gun with parental consent and in the presence of a certified instructor?
Choice Votes Percentage of 2755 Votes
Yes 1804 65%
No 951 35% ye-ha voted us!

ZRX61
December 7, 2008, 08:28 PM
66 to 34 now :)

alvincullumyork
December 7, 2008, 08:59 PM
66% yes
34% no

trapperjohn
December 7, 2008, 11:07 PM
the paradigm is wrong, the question should be "how much say should the government have in how citizens raise their children".

the basic assumption in the papers poll is that the state is sovereign over parents.

thebucket
December 8, 2008, 03:31 AM
67% to 33% just now. I got started shooting when I was 12. And I'd agree with previous posts, minors should be able to do most anything with parental consent. Kids don't need to live in a bubble-wrapped world of uber-safety.

jakemccoy
December 8, 2008, 03:39 AM
This poll is related to that case of the 8 year old shooting himself with an Uzi. That case is interesting (in bad way). This poll is useless.

walker944
March 8, 2009, 10:31 AM
Yes = 68%
No = 32%

Looks like the tide in this poll has clearly swung the right way, once enough people with common sense chimed in.

Flame Red
March 8, 2009, 01:57 PM
What a bunch of morons. Only up north would the anti's have the never to ask this. My son when he was in the Boy Scouts had many merit badges for 22 and shotgun. I was not there - but the qualified instructors taught him well.

Sharps-shooter
March 8, 2009, 02:03 PM
In my house, minors are required to use guns.

KarenTOC
March 8, 2009, 02:36 PM
I just voted out of curiosity, because the poll is from December, and I figure they're no longer watching the results.

One thing I've always wondered about internet polls: Do do anything with the numbers? I've yet to see a cut-off date, or a link to a report on the poll results. My assumption is that the any poll posted by a newspaper or TV station is going to support their predetermined position. If it's coming out they way they want it, they'll hype it as the will of the people. If not, they'll decide the poll is flawed and ignore it.

Or am I being too cynical?

If you enjoyed reading about "Online Poll: Should Minors Be Allowed to Use Guns?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!