knife carry laws NYC

PDA

che_70b
December 5, 2008, 06:25 PM
I need to find out the knife carry laws for a pocket knife in NYC. Not needing to carry anything fancy but myself and some friends have a couple trips planned up there and us good ol boys feel a little naked without a pocket knife.

If you enjoyed reading about "knife carry laws NYC" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MGshaggy
December 5, 2008, 06:57 PM
IIRC the NYC Administrative Code prohibits possession of a knife with a blade larger than 4" to be carried in a public place. I'm not 100% sure, but I believe its only a violation if caught subject to 15 days in the clink and a fine of a few hundred bucks. That said, I'd give some thought to where you're planning on going and the liklihood of having to pass through a metal detector and/or X-ray machine.

che_70b
December 5, 2008, 07:05 PM
driving up both times so no transport worries. Other than that our friends place, resturants, maybe a little shopping and some SAMBO training. No plans to hit any of the landmarks with that kind of security.

Sinixstar
December 5, 2008, 07:12 PM
I used to carry mine all the time. Mine was folding, about 3 inches long.
Never had any problems, even going into government buildings. Best advice would just be to avoid situations where it might be an issue. Just walking around, going to a bar, whatever - you're not going to have any problems. Just keep it in your pocket.

Speedo66
December 6, 2008, 10:20 AM
4" blade limit in NYC Admin. Code is correct. It's the whole blade, not just the sharpened part.

NYS law prohibits auto or "pushbutton" knives and "gravity" knives. Gravity knives are defined, among other things, as "opening by the application of centrifical force". In other words, if your blade is loose enough to open when you flick your wrist, it's a gravity knife.

HeavenlySword
December 6, 2008, 07:47 PM
I've walked around with a 27 inch katana, in front of cops, into a park. I was with my little sister.

The cops were like, "cool!"

EDIT:
27 inch blade, like 40 inches overall

Prince Yamato
December 6, 2008, 08:42 PM
As a former New Yorker and from a practical perspective, I never knew anybody beyond electricians and bassoonists who carried a blade in NY. Pepper spray is a much better alternative. I honestly believe you are inviting trouble by carrying a knife in NYC. I'm also 99% sure that being a "good ol' boy" will work against you if you are stopped by NYPD.

Deltaboy
December 6, 2008, 10:06 PM
Just stay away from the communist state and city of NY.

secamp32
December 8, 2008, 05:48 PM
Don't clip it to your pocket. Keep it concealed. If a NYC cop is looking for O/T he will bust you if he sees a knife clipped to your pocket and can open it one handed. It may not stick but it will ruin your day.

Sinixstar
December 8, 2008, 06:30 PM
I'm also 99% sure that being a "good ol' boy" will work against you if you are stopped by NYPD.

fact

If a NYC cop is looking for O/T he will bust you if he sees a knife clipped to your pocket and can open it one handed.

it's not so much a matter of looking for overtime as it is - how bad a day have they had, and how big a prick do they feel like being?
Most cops i've ever dealt with really don't want to be bothered with knucklehead stuff on the street for the most part. I even remember as a teenager being told several times not to smoke pot on people's stoops - because they didn't want to have to deal with it if somebody called and complained. Not a word about the fact that we were openly committing a crime, they just didn't want to deal with the paperwork for a couple kids smoking a joint.

FLA2760
December 8, 2008, 06:36 PM
Up to 4 inches is OK. If you clip it to your pocket make sure you wear a shirt long enough to cover it. No Open knife carry in NYC

http://www.thehighroad.org/library/blades/knifelaws.html

If you enjoyed reading about "knife carry laws NYC" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!