fixing a mosin Nagant's front sight?

PDA

RP88
December 5, 2008, 07:46 PM
so, I saw a decent deal at a pawn shop today. Even though I should really had not gotten it, I picked up a really nice-condition (for a Mosin, anyway) 91/30. I even got the cleaning pieces, oil can, pouch, and bayonet with it, all stapled up in a nasty-looking plastic bag. I'm currently boiling some water as I type this. It wasn't coated in cosmoline, either, so it's ready to shoot.

The problem however is that the front sight is crooked. The sight BASE is on straight as far as I can see, but the ring/post part of the sight is off to the right.

Are their any easy ways to fix this? Do I need to maybe order an adjustment tool? Did one maybe come with my oily bag of extras and I'm not aware of it?

In the bag was the oil can, the two cleaning piece attachments, that little wrench tool thingy, two 'caps' that look like they do something, the sling, bayonet, and pouch.

Sergei Mosin, give me strength.

If you enjoyed reading about "fixing a mosin Nagant's front sight?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
briansmithwins
December 5, 2008, 08:22 PM
It may be offset in order to zero the rifle. Don't 'fix' it until you have a chance to try the sights in their current setting. BSW

RP88
December 5, 2008, 08:28 PM
hm, good point. But, let's say that I need to adjust it... Then what?

hksw
December 5, 2008, 10:33 PM
The MN front sight is dovetailed into the base. It will be drift adjustable for windage with a small hammer and brass (or other non-marring) punch.

If you mean the sight is physically leaning to one side, you can just punch it totally out and replace it with another from a parts supplier.

Wedge
December 5, 2008, 11:52 PM
drift it if needed.

mine is quite a bit over to one side. windage is right on.

If you enjoyed reading about "fixing a mosin Nagant's front sight?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!