100yd .22LR shoot + ammo tests (pics/outcome)

PDA

gotime242
December 5, 2008, 09:17 PM
Hello all,

I decided to compare some ammo at 100 yards for fun and post the results. This is my first one of "these" so go easy on me. Let me know what you think.

The gun:

Marlin 7000
18" .22lr Bull Barrel
10rd - Semi-Auto
Bi-Pod
Simmons Whitetail 6.5-20x50mm AO

http://i33.tinypic.com/soy88n.jpg

The Range, 100 yard:

Weather: 80 deg F.
Wind: 2-4 knots variable, 090-110 deg crosswind from right.

http://www.markhampark.com/

http://i37.tinypic.com/jutxeh.jpg

The contenders:
(Obviously mostly sub-sonic due to the trans-sonic issue before 100 yards.)

-Remington "Subsonics", 38gr hollow point, "1050" fps
-Federal "Gold Medal Target", 40gr solid, "1080" fps
-Wolf "Match Extra", 40gr solid, "1033" fps
-Centurion "???" 40gr solid, "1250" fps

http://i34.tinypic.com/2pq5e90.jpg

The outcome (My opinion):

1st: Wolf Match (big surpise)
Great Function, Great consistency. After i was done i was nailing a golf-ball and shotgun shells on the ground at 110 yards with ease. This was the "match extra", which cost more than the "match target" which is JUST as good. So if you find the match target, that is a better buy.

http://i38.tinypic.com/2r7bifs.jpg

http://i34.tinypic.com/2poxrg7.jpg

2nd: Federal Gold Medal (711b)
Good Function, but with the slightly higher fps of 1200, i believe greater consistency is to be found with the wolf. Not a bad round, but i wouldnt probably buy again due to the other options out there. Again this is all just my humble opinion.

http://i37.tinypic.com/zkpbfk.jpg

http://i35.tinypic.com/2qxs2z6.jpg

3rd: Centurion
Worked "ok". Smelled bad. And i dont know why but ive shot this before and it had HORRIBLE groups at even 50 yards. Maybe a bad box? Anyway...this box did way better than i thought but i will still never buy it again based on my previous experiances. The groups today were just shot with leftovers.

http://i34.tinypic.com/2dbunw5.jpg

http://i37.tinypic.com/33v2g5y.jpg

4th: Remington "Subsonics"
First shot of the day with this stuff failed to fire (saw the pin-mark on the casing on both). Then again within the first mag of 10. Horrible groups at 100 yards (all over the place laterally), but ive had better luck close in when plinking and so fourth. Not a good 100yrd target choice, but for 50 yards or less i wouldnt hesitate to use it or buy it again.

http://i37.tinypic.com/156cl5c.jpg

http://i36.tinypic.com/10eihw3.jpg

So thats that!! Not much of a story, just a little info and some fun for the day. Hope you all like the picture. While i was taking them my friend thought it would be funny to drop one of his swiss rounds into my picture to apparently show me what a "real caliber" looks like. :D And i told him my little wolves will outshoot him all day. ;)

http://i37.tinypic.com/9fzb04.jpg

Take care all, happy holidays.

If you enjoyed reading about "100yd .22LR shoot + ammo tests (pics/outcome)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Ohio Gun Guy
December 5, 2008, 09:23 PM
good format, fun read, good information.

THANKS!:D

Cesiumsponge
December 5, 2008, 09:37 PM
Great results! I have to give that Wolf a try. Have you tried Eley Tenex or Lapua Midas? It's incredibly expensive but I've had incredible results with it. Its supposedly stuff they use in olympic matches. I've always managed under 1" @ 100 yards when I do my part. However it no longer becomes "cheap 22LR plinking" because its about $15/50. It's nice to "see what the rifle can do" but for general plinking, it hurts the wallet.

maddog1775
December 5, 2008, 09:39 PM
Strange, but all the problems I have ever had with .22lr have been with Remington ammo. Wolf seems to be reliable in any caliber.

gotime242
December 5, 2008, 09:40 PM
Hmm, i havnt but it definetly sounds interesting. Honestly after i saw what this wolf can do i dont ever want to buy anything else. :D

That would be great to get under 1" @100 yards. Im probably going to go back and really spend time with the wolf more, also probably wouldnt hurt to clean my barrel for the first time this year, lol.

FMJMIKE
December 5, 2008, 09:43 PM
Very good report!!!! Thanks............:D

NC-Mike
December 5, 2008, 10:33 PM
Wolf Target has been very popular with the mouse-gun guys for a long time now.

I believe that ammo is made in Germany and uses Vihtavuori powder.

.38 Special
December 5, 2008, 10:40 PM
Good job.

The Wolf stuff is more than occasionally used for practice by 50 meter free pistol shooters, so is a bit of a sleeper.

The Remington stuff has a well deserved reputation for unreliability, and the vertical stringing your target shows is probably illustrative of inconsistent ignition. I don't have anything against Remington in general, but think their .22 LR stuff is junk.

Thanks for the report!

jpatterson
December 5, 2008, 10:45 PM
Very interesting! I may have to pick up a box or two of the Wolf. Thanks for posting, I will have to give this a try myself.

popeyespappy
December 5, 2008, 10:47 PM
The Wolf Match 22lr is currently manufactured by SK. It is actually the same as the SK Standard Plus. You can sometimes get the SK Standard Plus for less than the Wolf Match if you shop around.

natescout
December 5, 2008, 10:49 PM
does the wolf match .22 LR suppose to have an oil film on them ?

newdude
December 5, 2008, 10:50 PM
The remington is strange (to me), i use the subsonic and bulk pack with great success in my Savage MKII.

elmerfudd
December 5, 2008, 10:53 PM
My CZ452 shoots well with both American Eagle and Wolf Target. The American Eagle holds close to a 1/2" group out to around 60 yards, but by the time it gets to 100 yards the groups spread out to around 2". The Wolf Target shoots just over 1" at 100 yards. At around 50 yards it's less than 1/2".

I think the American Eagle goes transonic somewhere around the 60 yard mark and that's why the accuracy deteriorates afterward.

Deltaboy
December 5, 2008, 11:04 PM
Thanks for the info. remington ammo has been spotty for the past 7-10 years with the exception of thier target ammo and their yellow jackets and Vipers.

Ratshooter
December 6, 2008, 12:28 AM
Excellent post. You need to post this at www.rimfirecentral.com you will be the hero of the week.

Its funny about Remington and their rimfire ammo. It used to be my #1 choice. The stuff shot great back in the early 80s. The new stuff I have bought has been junk. It misfires, has low and high reports and produces crap for groups. I don't get it.

Dean Williams
December 6, 2008, 12:32 AM
Nice write up. Interesting and informative. I'll have to keep an eye out for the Wolf ammo.
I've also had kind of crummy results some of the Remington .22 stuff. I seem to do better with American Eagle.
Appreciate all the pics!

Zerstoerer
December 6, 2008, 08:33 AM
I am only counting 9 bullet holes in your first target - which would make it the loser of the group in any competion. Where did # 10 go?

gotime242
December 6, 2008, 09:18 AM
I might of only shot 9 by accident :(
haha, sorry.

NCsmitty
December 6, 2008, 09:46 AM
I would like to have seen some the Aguila ammo included for comparison. I have just got some lately to try in my different 22's. I got some of the Super Maximum 30gr @ a rated 1750fps for fun and some sub-sonics and standard vel. for targets. Mostly interested in my Rem. 541-T HB that liked the PMC Moderator ammo. I think the rumor was that PMC was made by Aguila that uses the Eley priming system. I have been too busy to test, but soon if it warms up a bit.

NCsmitty

Friendly, Don't Fire!
December 6, 2008, 09:52 AM
Great shot! Keep up the good work!

gotime242
December 6, 2008, 10:05 AM
Ill grab some other types of ammo and probably keep it going. Thanks!

cracked butt
December 6, 2008, 10:27 AM
Nice work.
Wolf .22 ammo is really good stuff.

Nhsport
December 6, 2008, 10:40 AM
Nice piece.

If you do a repeate try some CCI STD . Doesn't function some semis but it is generally a decent performer in most guns . I agree Wolf is nice stuff but the price and supply has become a problem.

NCSMITTY-- Yes-the whole line of PMC rimfire (except for the very early stuff) was made by Aguilla. The 30gr stuff has lots of speed but the accuracy is so-so. Pmc Zappers and Aguilla high velocity 38 and 40 grain has been my favorite high velocity ammo for a while. The 40 gr Aguilla Std Vel and Target ammos are all good . They used to be dirt cheep (not so much these days) and quite accurate

CZguy
December 6, 2008, 11:41 AM
also probably wouldnt hurt to clean my barrel for the first time this year, lol.

Many of us never clean a .22 barrel. (until the accuracy falls off, which can be years)

Much more info on this can be found at Rimfire Central.

That was an excellent post gotime242. :cool:

Big Matt
December 6, 2008, 12:46 PM
I'll add my thanks and say great post/info as well. I'm quite surprised with the results, having never heard of Wolf .22 RF ammo. Will have to give it a try.

Maybe in another round of tests you could try CCI as Nhsport suggested, but maybe the CCI minimags and green tag target ammo?

I'm certainly no expert but the CCI minimags have worked beautifully in my .22 rifles, very accurate and consistent (for me).

In addition, while in school shooting competitively, our team used the CCI green tag ammo exclusively and I was always impressed with it.

Granted this was over 15 years ago so things may have changed a bit, but CCI ammo has always treated me well.

Am going to give some of these tested brands a try in the future though to see how they work for me.

Thanks again for the report.

Big Matt
December 6, 2008, 12:49 PM
"(Obviously mostly sub-sonic due to the trans-sonic issue before 100 yards.)"

Could someone please explain this statement to me? I honestly have no idea what it means, is describing, or the problems it refers to.

Thanks.

gotime242
December 6, 2008, 01:03 PM
"A contributing factor is the transition of even a high-velocity cartridge projectile from supersonic to subsonic within 100 yards (91 m). As the bullet slows, the shock wave caused by supersonic travel overtakes the bullet and can disrupt its flight path, causing minor but measurable inaccuracy."

Thats basically it. Its about aerodynamics while trans-sonic that will cause the bullet to lose accuracy.

Thats why if you start off out of the muzzle sub-sonic, it will stay that way and maintain the same airflow characteristics all the way to the target.

Depending on the load, .22lr's usually go transonic in the area of 70 to 80 yards out. Next time i go to the range ill show some mini-mags which are super accurate at 50 yards, but not so much at 100 and that will really show what its talking about.

caseypj
December 6, 2008, 01:12 PM
I really ought to drive over to Markham park, I haven't been there in about 6 years. It's a very nice range, do they still have alot of range officers?

gotime242
December 6, 2008, 01:34 PM
Oh yes, tons.

CZguy
December 6, 2008, 02:03 PM
In addition, while in school shooting competitively, our team used the CCI green tag ammo exclusively and I was always impressed with it.

One thing to remember on all rim fires, each rifle will have a favorite ammo.

The way to find out your particular rifles favorite, is to buy as many different types of ammo as you can find (and afford) in single boxes and try them in your rifle. Once you have found what it prefers, buy as much as you can afford in bulk.

MIgunguy
December 6, 2008, 02:13 PM
ill show some mini-mags which are super accurate at 50 yards, but not so much at 100 and that will really show what its talking about.

That must be why I'm having a problem, I have an Anschutz that will shoot 1/2" groups at 50 yards all day long but doesn't group well at all at 100 yards.:banghead:

dwave
December 6, 2008, 02:15 PM
Cool test. Looks like the Wolf does pretty well.

gotime242
December 6, 2008, 02:18 PM
MIgunguy - Yup! Its amazing how much those groups spread out.

hossdaniels
December 6, 2008, 02:31 PM
That's nice but, I WANT 200. Its like shooting a 1000yd match for free!

Eyesac
December 6, 2008, 02:53 PM
The remington is strange (to me), i use the subsonic and bulk pack with great success in my Savage MKII. Me too. My 10/22 shoots the federal gold medal best, but the Rem subsonic is the best bulk pack ammo for me at 100yds.

Big Matt
December 6, 2008, 03:04 PM
Gotime242 - thanks for the explanation. That really clears it up as I did ever rarely use .22 RF ammo at 100 yards and beyond.

CZguy
December 6, 2008, 03:51 PM
That's nice but, I WANT 200. Its like shooting a 1000yd match for free!

Borrow a CZ 452 Lux. It's amazing what you can hit at 200 yards with iron sights. :cool:

john917v
December 6, 2008, 04:26 PM
Thanks, Gotime! Great post, great, clear pics, great info! I give it 5 golden bullets! I want to do something similar, but involving expansion on rotting (non-edible) meat, that has bones, not gelatin.

bannockburn
December 6, 2008, 08:48 PM
gotime242

Just for the fun of it one day at the range I started shooting my 10/22 at the 100 yard range. At the time I was using Wolf Match Target in my Ruger Mk.II and SIG Trailside, so I figured why not give it a try in the rifle. For years my 10/22 always gave the best results with CCI MiniMags, but the accuracy I was getting with the Wolf was amazing. For an added bonus, reliability was 100%, with absolutely zero problems with feed issues, light strikes, failure to feed, or failure to eject. Very affordable target ammo when you can find it.

Brian Dale
December 6, 2008, 11:11 PM
Beautifully arranged and clearly written, gotime242. Well done.

Cesiumsponge
December 7, 2008, 12:08 AM
Many of us never clean a .22 barrel. (until the accuracy falls off, which can be years) Much more info on this can be found at Rimfire Central.

Oops, we're not supposed to clean the rimfire barrels? I've been cleaning mine like a normal centerfire rifle after every range trip.

Is there a preference for lead or copper plated stuff? I've only shot lead so far and cleaned with Hoppes/Kroil.

I've also had mixed luck with Gold Medal Match. My firing pin doesn't seem to make them want to go boom about 20% of the time. I've procured an extra firing pin though and I've modified the striking surface a bit. Maybe it'll strike a tad deeper now. I don't know what the ideal rimfire indentation should look like on a shell (from a 10/22).

arcticap
December 7, 2008, 12:15 AM
Where is the Centurion ammo made?

gotime242
December 8, 2008, 11:07 AM
Centurion seems to be made in mexico.

kludge
December 8, 2008, 06:31 PM
I think the Wolf is accurate, but I seem to get more "flyers" than with Federal Champion Match (not Gold Medal) which I can't seem to find anywhere anymore.

Sinixstar
December 8, 2008, 06:38 PM
Try the remington "thunderbolt" i think it is. Considerably better consistency. Unfortunately it's been a long time since i've shot .22's - but in the past i've found it to be pretty reliable. Think i've only had a 2 or 3 mis-fires out of thousands of rounds, and they were all from the same box of 50. (Chalking that up to bad batch).

cliffy
December 8, 2008, 06:54 PM
CCI Velocitors NEVER fail me. I do, however, clean my piece regularly, almost religiously. Not one misfire to date throughout two years of regular shooting, so I do recommend these rounds when misfires simply won't cut-it. Cleanliness is next to you know what. I also feel Velocitors give a decided accuracy advantage at 100 yards over ANYTHING else. cliffy

rrflyer
December 8, 2008, 07:51 PM
I shoot rem subsonics out of my MK II and regularly get 1.5 inch groups at 100.

Eley Target has produced sub one inch groups at 100 as well.

But i shoot mostly rem subsonic since its 4 bucks per 100 as opposed to 5 bucks per 50

.38 Special
December 8, 2008, 08:26 PM
Oops, we're not supposed to clean the rimfire barrels? I've been cleaning mine like a normal centerfire rifle after every range trip.

Generally speaking, a .22 bullet leaves a bit of wax in the barrel after each shot, and each subsequent bullet scrapes a bit out and leaves a bit of its own. Thus the condition of the bore stays essentially the same for hundreds if not thousands of shots.

So at least with lead bullets, it's rarely necessary to clean the bore. Many shooters don't do it at all. Others after every few thousand rounds, once a year, or some other arbitrary schedule. I would suggest bench testing the gun every 500-1000 rounds. If accuracy falls off at some point, cleaning may be indicated.

If you pay close attention, you may notice that a gun might go a bit wild after being cleaned. .22s are somewhat notorious for needing a few -- or even a few dozen -- rounds before "settling down". This is because the condition of the bore is changing between each shot, until that waxy equilibrium is restored.

Actions, bolts, etc. do need to be cleaned more often, or they will begin to malfunction. I will generally do this every thousand rounds or so, depending upon action type and clean/dirty ammo.

I don't know how much if any of this applies to copper washed/plated .22, as I have never seen any reason to use it.

HTH!

BornAgainBullseye
December 31, 2008, 12:56 PM
great shooting! I can remimber getting groups similar to your wolf with the CCI mini mags. My 10-22 is now setup with a red dot 1x for yard vermin. I need to put my scope back on it and try to get some accuracy testing done again. I have a Green Mountain 16 inch barrel. and I usually shoot the subsonic remington to dispatch limb rats in the yard. I have not had bad groups like yours though using that stuff. It may be a bad lot???

GTFord1
December 31, 2008, 03:39 PM
I'll also add that Remington subsonic shoots very, very accurately out of my Savage MkIIBTVS.

CoyoteSlayer
February 12, 2009, 06:12 AM
Remington .22 ammo even their "Eley" Match and Club Extra=unreliable. Couldn't get 5 rounds through without a misfire. And yes my rifle is very reliable.

CZguy
February 12, 2009, 06:22 AM
Remington .22 ammo even their "Eley" Match and Club Extra=unreliable. Couldn't get 5 rounds through without a misfire. And yes my rifle is very reliable.

This has been the topic of several threads over at rimfire central. There seem to be two groups (with no fence sitters) Remington ammo is the worst ammo in the world, with every other round being a dud, or it's the best stuff ever made, that never has a problem.

CoyoteSlayer
February 12, 2009, 07:31 AM
I guess everyone is entitled to their own opinions, even if they are wrong lol.
I have done some fairly extensive tests on .22LR ammo. Using both semi-auto and bolt action rifles and even hanguns. Remington is by far the worst I have tested. Accuracy wise most of it is fine, but reliablility is terrible. Its interesting because I use both Remington centerfire rifle ammo and shotgun ammo and never had a problem with either of those. Must be the rimfire department needs to wake up ;)

JonB
February 12, 2009, 11:35 AM
Interesting. I'll have to dig up some Wolf 22LR. Haven't seen it locally ever though....

ETA: I stay away from Remington in 22LR. Too many issues when using it in my Marlin 60, very dirty stuff too. My nephew is going to get my last 2/3 of a 550 rd pack for his Savage bolt for plinking.

Eightball
February 12, 2009, 12:11 PM
Excellent post and format.

gvnwst
February 12, 2009, 01:12 PM
This has been the topic of several threads over at rimfire central. There seem to be two groups (with no fence sitters) Remington ammo is the worst ammo in the world, with every other round being a dud, or it's the best stuff ever made, that never has a problem.

Hey, fence sitter here:D I have had little trouble with remington ammo, but all bulk packs have crap in them every once in a while. But i use federal now due to it being cheaper, and copper plated, works better in semis.

Funderb
February 12, 2009, 01:17 PM
that's awesome. I gotta try that.

Buckskinner
February 12, 2009, 05:45 PM
I agree with the Wolf target ammo in my RF silhouette 10/22.

One thing I haven't tried yet is to weigh all the rounds to group them according to similar weights.

I understand there can be a wide variance, and some ammo-related variables that impact group size can be cut down.

Thanks for the well written report!

tango2echo
February 12, 2009, 08:43 PM
The Remington Sub-sonics shoot horribly for me in all the .22's I own. I have been shooting Winchester Sub-Sonics (36gr hp) at 100 yards with great success. Mini-Mags shoot decent, but not great at 100 yards. Federal Bulk pack is great though. Not one FTF in about 5 bricks now.

Big thanks to the original poster. I would enjoy more of these range reports.

T2E

lionking
February 12, 2009, 09:38 PM
Amazing how just ammo brand alone changes the overall impact area,I recently had that happen testing the 3 major factory brands in my 30-30.

I didn't even know Wolf made .22 but seeing the results looks like I should try it.

Mr. 22
November 27, 2009, 09:07 PM
Sorry to dredge up an old post. This is great stuff and made by Aguila in Mexico! Centurion is the exclusive importer.

I was doing a search on Centurion .22 ammo and found this. I picked up a case in August and have had nothing but great success from it, whether it's out of one of my rifles or several different flavors of pistols.

I have compared it to all brands I can get my hands on (a couple of dozen) in all different firearms and it compares to CCI Standard and Green Tag. And MAYBE just slightly worse (⅛" - maybe ) than Eley Tenex! Wolf is up there, Lapua is there, RWS, etc. I am even impressed with the Walmart Federal Auto Match (which is excellent as well - 15 bucks for bulk 325's)... On a good day anyone of these cartridges will outperform the other... They are that close by what I have observed. I just picked up another case of the Centurion for $122.60/case of 5000 (>$1.23/box of 50!)!! That is with all discounts including shipping (today is a Black Friday Special with an extra discount). That's delivered for less than 2.5/round! I really do not think it is going to get any cheaper than that! I use these for competition shooting and even cheap enough to plink with for that! I really like the stuff! Even if it was bad (which it isn't - big 'if') it still goes bang and reliably. Which is about all you can ask of any tin can killer let alone some Target Grade ammo! Buy it... you will not be sorry! I have converted several of my shooting buddies. Not one complains about accuracy.

panrobercik
November 28, 2009, 01:30 AM
Went to Markham once and I quite liked it. I normally go to Trail Glades but it's closed for renovation now.
Anyway, I once was into 22 shooting and read quite a bit about it. If you are not going to clean the barrel before switching to different ammo, you should at least shoot a few fouling rounds of new ammo and than count the score. Whatever was shot after heavy lubricated Wolf, will still slide on leftover of that lube. Switching from copper plated to non plated, first few rounds will slide in leftover plating. I hope you get my point. This was published in one of gun magazines years ago and back then I did some tests that proved this. Before I read that article I was shooting 10 shot groups , just like you just to find the ammo my gun likest the best. CCI standard was the winner so I bought a bunch of it. Unfortunately this was not the best ammo for my gun. It just did well being shot after other brand.
I repeated the test cleaning the barrel before switching ammo, than the barrel was fouled with 5 shots on new ammo and this time Aguilla HP subsonic became the most accurate ammo of all .
Some 22s shoot best if cold, some like to be warm. My gun has to be warm before I start even looking at the groups. The groups open up after around 150 shots after clean barrel.

If you enjoyed reading about "100yd .22LR shoot + ammo tests (pics/outcome)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!