mossberg bolt action .410?

PDA

pistolman1974
December 5, 2008, 10:46 PM
mossberg bolt action .410ga
What is the purpose of this type of gun?

If you enjoyed reading about "mossberg bolt action .410?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
The Deer Hunter
December 5, 2008, 10:48 PM
Maybe small birds in a barn or something. Or rats.

I have no clue why it is a bolt action.

Onmilo
December 6, 2008, 10:59 AM
Excellent little 35 yard gun for squirrel hunting.
This should be in the shotgun section.

Gottahaveone
December 6, 2008, 05:20 PM
Excellent little 35 yard gun for squirrel hunting.
Yep. And mine does rather well on the back yard cotton tail population too. I love rabbit and dumplings :evil:

rondog
December 6, 2008, 05:32 PM
Um, it's for shootin' things? I have a .410 bolt gun, used to be my grandma's. Also have a 20 gauge bolt. They both shoot just fine, they'll do anything any other shotgun will do, just a little slower.

NCsmitty
December 6, 2008, 05:55 PM
Mossberg sold many, many bolt action shotguns over the years and they served many poor folks well in filling the larder. They were simple and reliable and did the job. I still have my dad's old 20 ga. Mossberg bolt action with clip. I shot my first crow and first deer with that gun.
When I was young, I also questioned the need of the lowly 410. Today, being older and wiser (I'm guessing), I have a single shot 410 NEF that I've modified to handle my special defense loads. I reload 410 skeet loads for my Stoeger O/U. It's both a beginners round and an advanced shooters challenge and find the 410 is a lot of fun.

NCsmitty

Ratshooter
December 6, 2008, 08:46 PM
I have a Savage .410 bolt action with a tube feed like a 22 rifle. The only thing wrong with it is some dumb S.O.B. cut off the stock to make a pistol grip stock shotgun.

I can shoot it pretty good from a high hip hold. Beer cans are in danger at 20-25 ***** with slugs. I wish I could find a stock for it. And yes I have checked Numrich. The rounds are expensive compared to 12 and 20 guage but they are a hoot to shoot.

vintage sportsman
December 8, 2008, 09:39 AM
I once had a Mossberg in 183K - great little gun til the HS went South and blew her up in one shot.
I Epoxied a set of Scope mounts just forward of the boly and with a 6X shotgun scope was "Dead on" at 100 yards in a 3" group using Brenneke slugs. My hopes were to shoot a deer with it, but in the end had to use my Saiga (By the way, shot a buck opening day and he went down like a TOS at 40 yards) anyway they can be great guns for meat hunters and fur hunters right up to a deer size critter.

If you enjoyed reading about "mossberg bolt action .410?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!