big beefy revolvers

PDA

MJRW
January 15, 2003, 02:37 PM
For hunting and shooting what are your thoughts on the various rounds? .44 mag is shootable to me. But is it enough with a long enough barrel to take down deer and if so up to what range? What about .454? I know its barely considered shootable by me, I know its more than potent, but how does .45 long colt shoot? And .480 ruger, shootable, strong enough? Just looking to add some enormous freaking revolver to the mix.

If you enjoyed reading about "big beefy revolvers" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rock jock
January 15, 2003, 03:40 PM
.44 magnum, with proper selection of ammo and gun, will take any game animal in North America. Maximum range for taking a deer with a handgun of sufficient caliber is whatever you can shoot accurately to. Most folks, with practice, can easily take shots of 50-75 yards. Lots of practice, maybe 100-125 yards. Past that you are either a stud shooter or you don't show any regard for hunting ethics.

JMLV
January 15, 2003, 04:19 PM
will do the job of a deer as will carefull crafted handloads in 44 special and 45 long colt. You can take a deer safe and humanly out to about 100 yards with a conventional handgun round a bit farther IF YOU CAN HIT A 8" CIRCLE AT THAT RANGE(FARTHER) actually thats a pretty good indicater of any safe range tpo take deer - that which you can easily put all your rounds in an 8" circle. If you can't do that you have no bisness shooting a live animal and need more practice. The 44 and 45 can easily take a deer with a hard casrt SWC keith bullet at about 1000 - 1200 fps.
factory loads in the 41 & 44 will do it as well.
I won't go into the single shots guns(Contender, Encore BMF etc.) and their calibers and ranges as these are drastiucly different than a revolver.

dairycreek
January 18, 2003, 04:01 PM
Of course the 454 is a certified "game getter" but the 45 LC is not exactly a wimp either. There are great commercial loads available for the 45 LC for example, http://www.buffalobore.com/ammunition/default.htm#45colt. So, with a Ruger 454 you can shoot at a variety of power levels from relatively week 45 LC loads up to and including the powerful 454. Even cheaper and more fun if you happen to reload. Good shooting:)

PALongbow
January 19, 2003, 10:26 AM
For Whitetails all you need is the 44 mag. The 454 or 480 is over kill for deer in my opinion. The componets for reloading the 454 or 480 are also more expensive than the 44 mag. If your going to persue much larger game then maybe the 454 or 480 makes sense. I do agree that the 44 mag and the right combination of ammo and gun can take any animal in North America.

Marshall
January 20, 2003, 03:34 AM
I use 44 Mag's. YOU NEED NOTHING LARGER. Matter of fact, a 41 Mag would make a hell of a good Whitetail gun! I see there is a Marlin lever gun out in 41 Mag now too. Hmmmm LOL

JShirley
January 20, 2003, 03:54 AM
.41 Mag is a great deer round. Actually .41, while a ".44" is .429...
love my 657.

Kahr carrier
January 20, 2003, 05:26 AM
I like 454 Redhawk you can use 454 or 45 long colt.:)

Jbar4Ranch
January 20, 2003, 12:41 PM
Short answer: Bigger caliber = bigger holes. And, Like John Linebaugh is fond of saying, bullet weight doesn't decrease with distance.

Longer answer: While I agree that the .44 is plenty large enough for deer if you keep your shots within acceptable parameters, the .480 is an affordable means to get into the "over 45 club", and can approach the .475 Linebaugh with proper handloads. Standard SAAMI MAP's are very close for the .480, .475, and .454, and the SRH will handle standard pressure .475 loads, but is marginal for the proof loads, which is why Ruger didn't ream the chambers to take .475's. And, yes, the cylinder is long enough... barely. See THIS THREAD AT GT (http://glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=117581) for more.
In revolvers that can take it, the .45 Colt can be loaded slightly past factory .44 mag specs, but why? Use a .44! For deer, the .41, .44, and .480 will work perfectly. For elk, moose, bear, etc., I'd prefer a .475 Linebaugh, but, like the .454, recoil from a converted Blackhawk is horrendous (considerably worse than a .454 SRH!). Recoil of the .480 SRH is comparable to most .44 mag revolvers (3" M29's don't count here!), and is noticably tamed with the additional weight of a scope. If opt for a scope, DON'T SKIMP! My recommendation is a 2x Leupold. I've had... 8, I think, Leupold 2x's on various hard-kicking revolvers and Contenders and every one of 'em is still going strong today.

If you enjoyed reading about "big beefy revolvers" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!