Anybody else still carry the Kel-Tec p11?

PDA

Dr_2_B
December 6, 2008, 09:28 AM
Strapped my p11 on yesterday. I have several more expensive handguns that I wear usually, but I found myself wondering why I don't just stick with this thing. Aside from maybe the Rorbaugh, I don't know of any more size-efficient handgun out there. Looks kinda dated and the pf9 has stolen the show, but the p11 is sweet.

If you enjoyed reading about "Anybody else still carry the Kel-Tec p11?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Yo Mama
December 6, 2008, 09:47 AM
It was a hard choice when I was buying, went with the pf9 for size. P11 still catching my eye though.

possum_128
December 6, 2008, 10:15 AM
My wife still carries hers.

symr00
December 6, 2008, 12:05 PM
I loved my P11. I would still have it if it weren't for the trigger. You can't beat 13 rounds of 9mm in that size.

JoeShmoe
December 6, 2008, 12:14 PM
I just got one. I specifically chose it for the size, weight, and 10+1 capability. It's pretty accurate also.

plateshooter
December 6, 2008, 04:38 PM
I bought one for a holster mold, but found I really like the size of the gun. Mine shoots well for me, once I got used to the trigger. I don't use really expensive, beautiful guns as my carry guns. They get scratched, bumped, banged, and experience holster wear after a while. My P11 is dependable with the ammo I use in it, and if the finish wears, or it gets scratched, or I loose it because of a situation, It's no big deal. I carry mine most days.

ByAnyMeans
December 6, 2008, 05:11 PM
I was looking at one when deciding on a defensive handgun but I went with the Glock 26. I did'nt have much money and this allowed multiple uses with ten - 15 round mags. I did however fall in love with a Keltec p3at that resides in my pocket anytime i'm awake and have no Glock.

makarovnik
December 6, 2008, 07:13 PM
Hell ya. Good capacity, uses S&W mags, decent sights and second strike capability. The P11 is the only true double action only that Kel-Tec makes. All the others, you need to rack the slide to cock-it.

marv
December 7, 2008, 12:06 AM
Go to the KT website and compare the PF9 and P11 specs. The P11 is admittedly heavier. It is only 1/8" wider; this in the grip area. It is 1/4" shorter overall. All other dimensions are the same. This makes it a no brainer in my book. More rounds, same price, near the same bulk.

.66Cal.
December 7, 2008, 12:13 AM
I've got one to carry but the last time I shot it the takedown pin came out and of course that allows the slide, barrel and spring to dump out on the ground.

Kel-Tec CNC should be getting it next week for inspection and repairs.

copper4262
December 7, 2008, 02:00 AM
Iv got one and up untill about 6 months ago it was my primary BUG and was my off-duty carry piece about 1/2 of the time. Its really hard to beat considering its size and the fact that i have never had any problems with it - well - until about six months ago- I started to have some jamming issues and found my spring was wore out - I haven't been able to find any replacement springs at any of my normal parts dealers - when I tried to find one on the kel-tec site I couldn't seem to - I e-mailed them about 3 months ago and haven't yet heard back - I guess i haven't really been pushing to get it fixed - Iv been busy and my glock 27 has been doing overtime taking up the slack - Reading this thread reminds me why I love that lil gun - I think its time to
"git-er-done" Anyone have any idea's where I can get a spring?

trickyasafox
December 7, 2008, 02:11 AM
Copper4262

here's springs from wolff- I use them and they work well. If you called Kel-Tec I bet they'd just mail you some- email is tough for them now as I hear they are still selling everything they kick out even with the LCP on the market.

http://www.gunsprings.com/SemiAuto/KeltecNF.html

there's the link- top one is what you need. I use the 18lb spring- still functions with any normal 9mm load save maybe the lightest stuff (but I reload light sometimes and have no issues)

16lb is standard. this includes both springs you need.

tnieto2004
December 7, 2008, 02:12 AM
I did today

copper4262
December 7, 2008, 02:52 AM
Thanks tricky - Ill have to check it out!!

Dr_2_B
December 7, 2008, 01:50 PM
My experience with it mirrors my experience with the Makarov. I used to view it as an inexpensive gun that wouldn't break my heart to damage or to lose. Then I liked the little thing so much, I hated the thought of parting with it.

Geezer Glide
December 7, 2008, 02:27 PM
email is tough for them now as I hear they are still selling everything they kick out even with the LCP on the market.

I think it's because the LCP is on the market. Ruger has sold a lot of Kel-Tecs.

saturno_v
December 7, 2008, 03:10 PM
Is this pic a good answer for the poster original question?? :D:p

http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/8269/p11au9.jpg

My P-11 is basically become my primary carry, I just love the way it fits in my pocket, very natural....as much as I love my full size .40, the size advantage of the little Kel-Tec is too hard to pass.

IMHO, the P-11 is the best deal for a service caliber pocket pistol in the market.
Tough and reliable, around here can be had for $250-260 brand new at gun shows ($30-40 more at regular shops with a bit of haggling).
Reasonably accurate within the limit of its size....of course it's not a 25 yd target pistol.
Top notch Customer Service (knock on wood, I never did need it)

The DAO trigger is ultra safe.

12+1 capacity of +P 9 mm auto in that size factor are unbeatable.

When I got mine I was considering the PF-9 as well (same asking price), but the size advantage were practically non-existent (just a hair thinner) and the P-11 is a much more proven design, it has been around for way longer.

It will not win a beauty contest but it does serve a very useful purpose...

P.S.

A question for the experts.

I was thinking about switching my Uncle Mike pockt holster with a Desantis Nemesis...is it worth the change?? Any other suggestions for other brands/models?? Thanks!

sagebrushjim
December 7, 2008, 05:13 PM
+1 on the P-11 ... Carry mine everyday... Easy to Pocket and a Good little shooter ...

Guitargod1985
December 7, 2008, 06:29 PM
I guess I'm the only one here who had nothing but problems with the P-11. In my opinion, it is the biggest piece of junk on the market. Broken extractor, ejector, etc. Magazine sounds like a baby rattle. I got less than 100 rounds through mine before I practically gave it away.

thunder173
December 7, 2008, 06:37 PM
I carry the P-11 most of the time,...and when I can't,..I carry the P3AT...one or the other everyday. Even when I don't crry it,...and P3AT is on my person,...the P-11 is close by, ...with extra mags.

JoeShmoe
December 7, 2008, 07:40 PM
Guitargod, that's too bad. It's a nice little carry gun. I had some FTFs during the first 100 rnds, but after polishing the feed ramp, lubing the key parts, and another 100 rnds, it's running like a top. It even works with the ProMag spare. You're right about the "baby rattle" though. That is annoying.

hadmanysons
December 7, 2008, 10:28 PM
I had a Kel-Tec P11 and hated that damn thing. The trigger was a fight every time and had about ten feet of travel, the tiny grip would leave almost two finger hanging of the bottom, had no safety cause it was double-action only and would fail to feed about once every two magazines.

saturno_v
December 8, 2008, 01:35 AM
Guys

I suspect that the "magazine rattle" is a filler that Kel-Tec put to reduce the capacity to 10.
The 10 round magazine is the one that come with the gun, probably they want to standardize the offer to avoid creating ad-hoc situations is states that ban high capacity mag.

I bought 2 additional Kel-Tec original 12 rounders (they look identical to the 10) and they do not rattle at all. My 10 round does rattle.

I still didn't open the original magazine floorplate to verify my "theory" but I'll bet a dollar I'm right...

j_charles
December 8, 2008, 11:00 AM
copper4262:

Anyone have any idea's where I can get a spring?

Call Kel-Tec. It will take about 2 minutes, and they will probably send it to you for free. And you'll have it in about 3-4 days. Problem solved.

presspuller
December 8, 2008, 02:40 PM
The P-11 is what I carry.
Never a problem with it.

PT92
December 8, 2008, 10:24 PM
Yup--Love it and it is my primary CCW.

-Happy Holidays

chris in va
December 9, 2008, 03:09 AM
It's my primary summer gun. The factory belt clip is a must-have IMO. Really brings out it's true purpose.

BTW there's a little trick to reducing the trigger pull force. I dropped mine a couple pounds, didn't cost a thing.

.66Cal.
December 9, 2008, 10:11 AM
"BTW there's a little trick to reducing the trigger pull force. I dropped mine a couple pounds, didn't cost a thing".

please elaborate :rolleyes:

AllAmerican
December 9, 2008, 10:49 AM
Yes! Currently not CCing yet while waiting on my permit to arrive but this will be my carry. My wife has one too. I really like them. Im buying one in OD green shortly too.

presspuller
December 9, 2008, 11:08 AM
"BTW there's a little trick to reducing the trigger pull force. I dropped mine a couple pounds, didn't cost a thing".

please elaborate

Go here...
http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl

You can learn more than you wanted to know.

herohog
December 9, 2008, 03:03 PM
I carry mine daily but I am wanting a P3at now after seeing and handling one. The P-11 pack a good punch in a nicely sized package.

.66Cal.
December 9, 2008, 06:29 PM
Ha!
Just sent my P11 to "Bill" at Kel-Tec to look into my issue with the takedown pin popping out.

Maybe he will replace that spring too since I also complained about the trigger pull. :)
Thanks!

sniper7369
December 9, 2008, 07:41 PM
I LOVE my P-11. It's my summer EDC piece in addition to a P-3AT or P-32. I have 1600 rounds through it with ZERO malfunctions.
Yes the trigger DOES suck, no it's not really much fun to shoot with really hot loads, but for the purpose this gun is intended for it is perfectly adequate. 7 yard rapid fire groups are all inside a six inch circle with 124gr Golden Sabre. If I need sub 3 inch groups at 25 yards I carry my G30 or 1911. :) Most of the people who hate the little KTs are trying to make them something they are not. They are not range guns or target pistols or plinkers. They are very small, highly concealable, reliable, TOOLS that you can always have with you to save your bacon at close range.

PAPACHUCK
December 10, 2008, 07:17 AM
I carry my P11 in the same pocket holster shown in saturno_v's pic. It is my BUG to whatever I wear on my hip on a given day. The little guy has been flawless since I did a F&B the first week I owned it.

indslpwr04
April 5, 2010, 01:11 AM
Hi all. Just joined and my first post. I have had my P11 for over a year now. I have upgraded it with a steel guide rod and a fluff and buff to help it feed. In 500-600 rounds i havent had one jam since the first 2 boxes went through it. I have installed and Arma Laser and carry in a Crossbreed holster ISB that i modifed to work with the Laser. The laser is extremely bright and can shine a long distance at night. I love the auto on feature when you stick your finger infront of the trigger. It is a very small gun in my big old bear paw but i bought it to hit what a point the laser at. Plain and simple.

PAPACHUCK
April 5, 2010, 08:38 AM
Holy drag-up an old post Batman!!

MCgunner
April 5, 2010, 09:57 AM
Yeah, old post, but I've seen much older drug up here. Good to know newbies find the search function. And, as I never posted on this thread, I will. I have been carrying a P11 for 14 years now and see no reason to change. It carries well in MY pockets and has more firepower than the newer PF9, not much, but slightly. I prefer the trigger on the P11, to be honest, for a pocket gun. It's longer throw means you have to want to pull it to get the job done. When adrenalized, it feels much lighter and shorter, too. It is very smooth and easy to hit with.

My gun shoots 3.5" groups off the bench at 25 yards. It's been doing that for 14 years and over 11K rounds now. I see no reason to bother with another similar gun. To me, it's neigh on the perfect pocket PDW. It is 2 whole ounces heavier and 0.2 whole inches wider. For that you get more firepower, good trade off IMHO. If I were to be buying a NEW pocket 9, I might go for the PF9, though, for the slimmer profile. It still holds 9 rounds I think, not that bad. I just have the 10 round mags for the P11, never got the 12 rounders. BUT, it ain't worth the hassle to buy a new PF9 and sell the P11. Besides, the gun has never jammed, not in 11K rounds plus. It's quite proven itself.

RGO
April 5, 2010, 08:36 PM
Might as well join the old thread. I'm with MCgunner. The P11 is hard to beat on price and capacity for the size. Smaller 9mm's are not THAT much smaller, especially at this price point. However, I might go for a PF9 if I were buying one today, because I do find its grip to be more comfortable. Also, the P11's trigger is heavy, but I've never had a problem with it.

Dr_2_B
April 5, 2010, 11:03 PM
Ha. I was gonna jump in on this thread... then I realized I'm the guy who posted it in the first place.

These days my P11 pulls duty hidden in a false book sitting high on a sconce next to my front door. But often when I go out to exercise (read walk) I take the P11 along.

MCgunner
April 6, 2010, 07:15 AM
Ha. I was gonna jump in on this thread... then I realized I'm the guy who posted it in the first place.

Now, that's funny....:D

snooperman
April 6, 2010, 08:09 AM
It is a real bargain. What's not to like about it. Heck, it is very reliable, easy to conceal, has 10 shots , a potent 9mm, and all for a very reasonable price. I like mine a great deal and consider it one of the best carry guns I have.

If you enjoyed reading about "Anybody else still carry the Kel-Tec p11?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!