BEC for an AK

PDA

banddr2
December 6, 2008, 11:04 AM
I purchased one of these for a rear mount on my AK:

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c221/banddr2/BECscope.gif

Does anyone have any advice or helpful hints for sighting it in. Please don't tell me it's junk, I am already beginning to believe that, I just wat to see if I can get it to work.

If you enjoyed reading about "BEC for an AK" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
nalioth
December 6, 2008, 11:30 AM
It didn't come with instructions?

banddr2
December 6, 2008, 12:06 PM
Ok, let me restate my question.

Does anyone have any direct experience with this site, were you able to zero it in? Did it move on you with each shot? How did this site work out for you?

Thanks.

wally
December 6, 2008, 01:45 PM
I've had good luck with all the cheap tube type red dots *except* the two BEC I've tried (at least after putting some loc-tite on the battery housing screws).

OTOH I've had very poor luck with all the cheap reflux type red dots, although I didn't try a BEC because of my bad experience with their tube model.

I liked the reflex type while they worked, but either they wouldn't hold zero or the battery contacts stopped working.

One thing you have to adjust to with red dots is that you have to look thru the dot and focus on the target, if you focus on the dot you can wrongly conclude they don't hold zero. This is different from irons or scopes where your focus has to be the front sight or the reticle.

Let us know how this one works out.

IMHO best way to zero them is to shoot five shots at a small point of aim, then clamp the gun so it stays put on the aiming point, then adjust the dot to overlay the group.

With the cheap stuff you have a 50-50 chance of the L/R U/D arrows referring to moving the point of aim or th point of impact movement. The Chinglish in the manual also has little better than 50-50 of telling you what it is correctly.

I have three EOTechs but they are too expensive for all my guns so I became a connoisseur of the cheap stuff before I had Lasik last Jan since I couldn't focus on a front sight.

Its great to be able to use iron sights again! But I have learned to really like the red dots for dancing 2-liter pop bottles downrange :)

--wally.

Edit:

I'm not sure what you mean by "rear mount for your AK". If its a side rail mount you should be OK as long as you've got the clamp screw adjusted so it stays put. But if you are trying to use one of those receiver cover mounts you'll likely be unhappy no matter how much you spend on optics.

banddr2
December 6, 2008, 02:43 PM
Thanks for the info,

One thing you have to adjust to with red dots is that you have to look thru the dot and focus on the target, if you focus on the dot you can wrongly conclude they don't hold zero. This is different from irons or scopes where your focus has to be the front sight or the reticle.

I didn't know that, I will give it a try.

I'm not sure what you mean by "rear mount for your AK". If its a side rail mount you should be OK as long as you've got the clamp screw adjusted so it stays put. But if you are trying to use one of those receiver cover mounts you'll likely be unhappy no matter how much you spend on optics.

I am using the side mount with three screws, it is pretty solid.

IMHO best way to zero them is to shoot five shots at a small point of aim, then clamp the gun so it stays put on the aiming point, then adjust the dot to overlay the group.

A good idea, I will see if I can make that work. Thanks.

I think my biggest concern is that the sight flexes up and down and left to right on recoil and may not returning to zero. This is my first one and I was surprised by the movement, I wonder if accuracy beyond 25 yards will even be possible.

banddr2
December 6, 2008, 07:45 PM
Update, I went to Wal Mart and bought a Tasco 42mm red/green dot. Bore sighted it, went outside and was able to 0 ring 3 shots at 25 yards. I mounted it on the side mount, I also have a gas tube mount which I may try it up there later. It got dark and I had come in from playing.

Maybe I will mess with the BEC some other time.

If you enjoyed reading about "BEC for an AK" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!